AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CaseIH8120vsLexion580R
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 7/11/2012 09:05 (#2479115 - in reply to #2478218)
Subject: Re: CaseIH8120vsLexion580R

Not sure where or why Deere entered this discussion, but they don't yet have a combine in the same league as either of these two machines quite simply put. But of these two I still give the upper hand in terms of machine attributes (performance, quality, etc.) to the Lexion. There are a number of reasons/preferences, but here are just a few (remember, we're just talking machine attributes, not things like regional parts/service support, regional resale value, etc.):

Engine: Cat engine is bigger in displacement and agree that the 10.9L Iveco isn't the greatest performer. Also, fuel efficiency is better with the Lexion, but this is attributed moreso to the processing system and drives on the combines as opposed to the engines in my opinion. Have not seen any data on this that is measuring engine efficiency only, but my speculation would be that in that comparison, the Iveco might compare a bit more favorably.

Highest Capacity at low loss levels - haven't found a machine yet to match a Lexion in this category, and it is the most important thing that the combine does, so I place a high level of importance on it. The Case has the power to get right up there in terms of acres/hr, but can't compete in the low loss levels that the Lexion attains at those harvest rates.

Cleaning system. The Lexion 3D sieve is a great deal simpler in nature, very effective, and good grain distribution is easier to achieve with 2 rotors instead of one. Also, the pneumatic quality of the Lexion cleaning system is superior to the Case.

Grain quality - Both can do a great job here when properly equipped and set up for respective crops, but on the whole, the Lexion has even more adaptability across a wider variety of crops.

Chopper - Claas has this area figured out - Case is really scratching their head in this arena. The internal chopper has been a problem area since '03 but someone in Case really likes this idea too much to let it go.

Tailings - Again, someone at Case is clinging too tightly to the tailings processor concept to let this bad idea die - advantage Lexion. Claas could upsize the tailings elevator a bit, however.

Long-term durability: The Lexion is built more heavily in a number of key areas that really come to light in a high volume crop like corn or abrasive crops like rice.

Yes, there are things on the Case that I prefer over the Lexion and that they have an edge in, but in terms of overall machine, they are for the most part smaller items that are overshadowed by the above.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)