AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Resurrection and marketing - [thanks Mizzou Tiger]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 7/4/2012 14:08 (#2466244 - in reply to #2465922)
Subject: Re: Resurrection and marketing - [thanks Mizzou Tiger]

North Central Illinois
We were dry for part of last summer too. I drove thru your area in July last year and you were a lot drier. We started getting rain in late July and had several rain events prior to January. While it did not completely recharge our subsoil it did put some in the bank. No question that we had a warm fairly dry winter. Still, no reason for me to plan on a drought when putting together my plans in late fall or even when finalizing closer to spring. I have been thru warm winters and dry springs before that did not end in drought. With that said, I did market pretty conservatively by my standards. This happened for a couple of reasons. First was the fact that I got sick during harvest last fall and that took my undivided attention pretty much until about two months ago, so I put little time into my marketing plan. The other reason was that prices had started to slide and with being preoccupied I just didn't do much about marketing. I did manage to sell about 56 bpa with HTAs and I had covered another 75 bu with put options. I lfted those and made some money on them about a month ago. If I had not had this health crisis I probably would have had more forward contracted than I do. We all have to guess as to what the weather will do and when I start planning for a new season I guess that we are going to have at least average weather. I guessed wrong and MT guessed right. He isn't some marketing genius with super natural powers. He is just lucky. Someday his luck is going to turn and when it does it will be a very violent fall from grace with his followers. He has some real axe to grind with guys that have good soils and typically can raise good crops year in year out. He thinks we think we are owed a good crop every year and what we really need is a full blown zero out failure. He also thinks we shouldn't have crop insurance. Near as I can tell he farms some average or rougher ground which has a low APH with a so so guarantee or he doesn't have any insurance at all. Sounds jealous to me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)