AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agco ; whats everyones thoughts on this Ag equipment manufacture ??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

DougG
Posted 6/30/2012 20:25 (#2459097)
Subject: Agco ; whats everyones thoughts on this Ag equipment manufacture ??

Just wondering what everyone thinks of AGCO ?? I,m still stuck in the Allis Chalmers days , but luv them old orange tractors ; its getting to be common to hear of folks waiting on parts etc for the AgcoAllis brands and just tractors 10 years old and newer ; just curious what people think of the Agco regime
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KSUFarmer
Posted 6/30/2012 21:14 (#2459162 - in reply to #2459097)
Subject: Re: Agco ; whats everyones thoughts on this Ag equipment manufacture ??

Great equipment, good local dealers, 90% of the equipment on our farm (White, AGCO, Allis Chalmers, Gleaner, etc). We have no reason to look at anything else. Been "Allis" for generations.

(299250_2126317033889_383612382_n.jpg)

(163870_1556464187924_5964826_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 299250_2126317033889_383612382_n.jpg (85KB - 489 downloads)
Attachments 163870_1556464187924_5964826_n.jpg (69KB - 469 downloads)
Wildcat385
Posted 7/1/2012 21:51 (#2461271 - in reply to #2459162)
Subject: Re: Agco ; whats everyones thoughts on this Ag equipment manufacture ??

Central KS
We bought a White planter this spring. Worst customer service of any piece of equipment we have ever bought. There were a few issues with the lanter from the factory, and the dealer as well as AGCO corp seemed to care less. I have sent two surveys into AGCO, and they don't seem to care, that there are unhappy customers out there.
Silver Shoes
Posted 6/30/2012 21:57 (#2459232 - in reply to #2459097)
Subject: RE: Agco ; whats everyones thoughts on this Ag equipment manufacture ??

Seneca Kansas 66538
Been with Allis for along time and moved with them through the good and bad. Today AGCO has many innovative products just as Allis Chalmers did. They are finally putting more effort creating a name brand company and spending less time on acquiring other companies. Talk to your dealer about your concerns or issues instead of bitching to your neighbor, you'll be surprised how proud Agco is of its name and products. Proud to have AGCO products on our farm. This photo shows our pride and heritage.

Edited by Silver Shoes 6/30/2012 22:02

(Family photo 345.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Family photo 345.jpg (59KB - 432 downloads)
Istumped
Posted 6/30/2012 22:11 (#2459249 - in reply to #2459232)

ne il
Been happy with agco stuff here.
Detroit
Posted 6/30/2012 22:20 (#2459261 - in reply to #2459249)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
Got plenty of it here and no complaints. A bit far away to drive for parts but they direct ship stuff to my back door from the Batavia warehouse if I ask. Messed up a draper belt about 4 pm 2 years ago. Called the dealer and he had one overnighted to me. Picked it up at the UPS depot and was running by 11 am. Can't complain about that.
Merestead farms
Posted 6/30/2012 22:26 (#2459274 - in reply to #2459097)

Summit County, Ohio
We have two agco's a dt180a and a smaller gt75 love them both. I have a great dealer near Wooster, oh and have bought other equipment as well. I am currently looking at trading our Kinze corn planter for a White. They have really streamlined the compnay and are able to compete techcnolgy wise with the other brands. You wont be sorry that you made the move. I will say that i will miss the Orange, but have owned MF before and would go back.
swne
Posted 6/30/2012 23:03 (#2459350 - in reply to #2459097)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
Parts supply and orders have been a concern in the past but they have put in a huge parts depot in Kansas City which should help. Dealers are stocking better than they have in the past.
As far as the equipment. I think it is innovative and more dependable than some brands. Their combines are very under rated. They are good machines.
CaseFarmer
Posted 6/30/2012 23:20 (#2459387 - in reply to #2459350)

Flora IL
Wow kinda thought this would be all negative. They really screwed up rogators and terragators and its taken forever but there finally improveing some things here and there. Its still not as good as before they took over.
mschultz
Posted 7/1/2012 11:49 (#2460014 - in reply to #2459387)

Oregon
"Not as good"?? I remember a line of gleaners that were hell to keep running and a generation of tractors behind the times. It seems that the current generation of Agco products is at least competitive in some segments. Now if they could just sort out their branding errors and their parts supply chain. -Mike
CaseFarmer
Posted 7/1/2012 12:50 (#2460138 - in reply to #2460014)

Flora IL
Might be. Never see any agco's so its hard to tell
plowboy
Posted 7/1/2012 21:02 (#2461140 - in reply to #2460138)

Brazilton KS
If you've never even seen them then what in the hall are you commenting about?
plowboy
Posted 7/1/2012 21:26 (#2461202 - in reply to #2459350)

Brazilton KS
I've heard about parts depot in kc, but everything we order still seems to have to come from Batavia. Is the kc one open yet?
JoeR
Posted 6/30/2012 23:46 (#2459431 - in reply to #2459097)

NW Iowa
The only Agco product that we have on the farm is the White planter...and actually just went in to price a new one this morning, which I am hoping we end up with...I don't think I would be as happy with any other brand. we have several agco dealerships within about 30 miles of home, so parts are not a big concern.
Smoothlander
Posted 7/1/2012 00:05 (#2459451 - in reply to #2459097)
Subject: RE: Agco ; whats everyones thoughts on this Ag equipment manufacture ??

TERRIBLE customer service, if it wasn't for Ziegler dealers I would not be a customer.
PE.
Posted 7/1/2012 09:06 (#2459714 - in reply to #2459451)

WC MN
Zeigler is customer service, most of the time can't tell if Agco is having issues. Butler is just as good. Be at parts counter or on phone by 7pm and have parts by next morning is great. Titan could take some pointers from them on parts service, crazy part is Zeigler in Fergus is typically lower price on sprayer parts and tanks than any of the Fargo sprayer supply stores.
Smoothlander
Posted 7/1/2012 11:13 (#2459933 - in reply to #2459714)

PE. - 7/1/2012 08:06

Zeigler is customer service, most of the time can't tell if Agco is having issues. Butler is just as good. Be at parts counter or on phone by 7pm and have parts by next morning is great. Titan could take some pointers from them on parts service, crazy part is Zeigler in Fergus is typically lower price on sprayer parts and tanks than any of the Fargo sprayer supply stores.

Well said.
Millhouse
Posted 7/1/2012 12:13 (#2460072 - in reply to #2459451)

South-central Nebraska
We in Nebraska are still waiting for Butler or at one time possibly Zeigler to come in and replace NMC - Nebraska Machinery Company. Only Agco product I have is a Challenger MT755. Good product, but at this time very little service or support with NMC leaving. So who's fault is it? I would say Agco needs or needed to get something in place sooner than later but we still are waiting. With that I think Agco has just as good and maybe better products than the competition. But, if we don't see somebody establish themselves more prominently in this part of Nebraska for Challenger, this will be my last MT and I wil probably own a JD RT next.
plowboy
Posted 7/1/2012 21:21 (#2461188 - in reply to #2459451)

Brazilton KS
Customer service is dealers responsibility. Your post Don't really make sense.
The Pretender
Posted 7/1/2012 04:04 (#2459544 - in reply to #2459097)

The Internet
Where I work, we switched from mainly CIH to Massey Ferguson when the Case - NH merger went through and CNH reorganised the dealers. This meant our preferred dealer lost the Case franchise. That was just about 10 years ago now.

I don't know the intricacies of the management decisions or how the running costs compare to other brands, just see it from an (reasonably well informed) employees point of view. But I have driven all sorts of brands over the years.

Our tractors have broken down in the past, they all do. But the dealers have moved heaven and earth to keep us going. Agco have done their bit to. One time they were there waiting for our man to turn up on a Saturday afternoon, with the correct part sat their for him. Another time we had problems with a really low serial number 8600 series. They took the tractor in for a week, but left us with the demo machine and told us to keep it until we were happy with ours.

I can't see why anyone would not buy a Massey, it would only come down to the individual dealer or the deal. My only question is why they don't have more of a difference between the higher spec Masseys and the Fendt brand. Were I spending my own hard earned on a tractor, Massey would be the first place I would look.

deere6810
Posted 7/1/2012 05:13 (#2459556 - in reply to #2459097)

would have a gator sprayer if they had more then one dealer for the state.
Badger
Posted 7/1/2012 06:21 (#2459571 - in reply to #2459097)

Huntley Montana
Parts prices are plumb out of line on some lines, like sprayers, but the hay eqpt has been somewhat in line. They do price older eqpt parts high enough to get you to retire it sooner than planned. I've got 5 balers, 3 sawthers, spray Coupe, not sure about the tractors, or combines. Haven't seen many 20,000 hr tractors in their lines.
plowboy
Posted 7/1/2012 21:04 (#2461143 - in reply to #2459571)

Brazilton KS
Go look in california. Lots of high hour challengers out there.
RCT
Posted 7/1/2012 08:10 (#2459641 - in reply to #2459097)

S.C. Minn

We were orange for a 4 decades, in the 90's switched to red, then in 2009 switched back to AGCO.  I believe AGCO is back on the map. Can't really say anything bad about them now. 

jcfarmboy
Posted 7/1/2012 08:39 (#2459677 - in reply to #2459097)

South Western Ontario, Canada
I'm more on the fence about agco than most guys so far.
Maybe its just the dealers but the tractors haven't kept up in regards to technology and driver comfort. Cabs are small and very basic (could be how they were ordered). That turned us away from pricing one.
Parts are just absolutely nuts on a lot of stuff but than very reasonable on others. (case in point they wanted $650 for an led work light and yet the exact one at tsc is $150)

White planters don't have the options available on all the models like they should
8182 that we just priced out, can't get hydraulic drive seed drives and isn't ISO bus ready!!! Way behind the times there. Only available on "bigger" models! (not that CNH is any better, they don't offer dry fertilizer option on 12 row units)

I have had Massey Ferguson and allis chalmers all my life. Just wish they would fix a few of their mistakes and I'll be back
foxhill
Posted 7/1/2012 10:20 (#2459845 - in reply to #2459677)

Ok have only been farming myself for 10 years now but have owned 2 different Agco tractors my 1st a Allis 7040 and the next a White 9175 both the tractors were good and really liked the transmission on the White we have also been running red tractors and Combines on our farm as well for about the last 30 years but we switched our combine about 10 years ago to a green one after being pissed off by the Red guys and we haven't looked back we now have 2 green tractors on the farm here as well. I am not trying to say that I bleed green but after running a lot of different stuff the last number of years I can say the biggest downfall to the Agco Brand that I can see is there hyralic system on the tractor. I like good hyralics and Agco sucks in that deparment. That is just my 2 sense and I don't like that they went away from the Orange colour I think I would have sunk the massey and stayed orange just I think it is a more iconic thing with guys that like to look back at tractors from the past.
hwdcne
Posted 7/1/2012 10:27 (#2459859 - in reply to #2459845)

Soutwest Ks.
I used to run Gleaner combines but the parts prices were absolutely outrageous! Much higher then CaseIH or Deere parts. They probably make a good product but the fact that they lost almost 75% of their dealers in SW KS would indicate that most customers were not too happy with their products. Used to have a number of choices to go for parts in my area for AGCO. They have almost all closed their doors. When we still ran Gleaner, R60 was the last one we ran, our supporting dealer was also CaseIH and at times he would show me a comparison of parts prices between CaseIH and AGCO. No comparison as the AGCO prices were almost always much higher. Perhaps better quality? Don't know, but it didn't add up in my operation as the right product for me to run.
RDB Farms
Posted 7/1/2012 12:42 (#2460122 - in reply to #2459859)

ne neb
An R60 is almost 30 years old. Not even comparabLe to the equipment of today. I have not found one time that I thought their parts were out of line. I came from case ih 6 years ago and have no desire to switch back.
plowboy
Posted 7/1/2012 21:08 (#2461156 - in reply to #2460122)

Brazilton KS
I've seen lots of parts prices that were unrealistic. 90% of agcos parts are sourced...I shouldn't be able to buy them for less then they do.
martin
Posted 7/1/2012 11:20 (#2459948 - in reply to #2459845)

This is from my memory - my memory could be faulty.

As I recall,  when Agco made the decision to dump the Agco brand tractor and go with the Massey, it was because of the worldwide market.  In the USA, the Massey is not as "well-bought".  However,   in the rest of the world, the Massey brand is hugely popular.   That is why they made that decision.  At least, that is how I remember hearing it. 

pudding
Posted 7/1/2012 21:23 (#2461198 - in reply to #2459948)

Somewhereville, Earth
the massey brand and toolings effect on the rest of the world and the developing would is amazing, the fact they still build most of the old stuff, the 'rest of the world' can get so many parts from different suppliers for there 1950's/60's/70's/80's its probably not economically viable for agco to carry stock for them, i know here in NZ, AGCO is not the first stop for MF parts, however the other interesting thing is Derivatives of these tractors are still being made by AGCO in brazil, very very nice simple tractors

the other manufacturer and model that had a huge effect on the developing world was the FIAT 640 and other variations that came later, like the 66, 80 and 90 series, funny thing is the fiat 640 and its little brother earned a strong reputation as a chore tractor in the US in White, Oliver and Cockshutt colours, and like the old MF's you are spoilt for choice on parts in the rest of the world.

i find it interesting the utility lines that made it to the US in AGCO colours, because we saw almost all of them in NZ in there parent company brands, SAME, Lamborghini, DB, FIAT, ISEKI. all becoming older tractors now, beyond the obligation of the manufacturer to carry spares on the shelf, if you think of what brands and varied product lines AGCO has absorbed over the years, its amazing,

they have done well to get most of the brands back to common components again in the US, although fend and valtra are still unique product wise, there pressence in other markets in the world helps to justify this

as for the new mid to large tractors in the US, you will like what they offer, AGCO has a fantastic transmission and engine, they really do offer a good product

Edited by pudding 7/1/2012 21:30
Silver Shoes
Posted 7/1/2012 12:43 (#2460123 - in reply to #2459845)

Seneca Kansas 66538
Uhmm Im not sure what your comparing to what but I hope its apples to apples. A 7040 had some of the best hydraulics of the day, specially better than the open center IH hydraulics. Our DT200's have plenty of hydraulics to run anything on our farm. 40 gal a minute on those and newer ones are up to 60 gal a minute. How much stuff are you running with your hydraulics that 60 gal a minute isnt enough?
The Pretender
Posted 7/1/2012 10:24 (#2459851 - in reply to #2459677)

The Internet
jcfarmboy - 7/1/2012 08:39

I'm more on the fence about agco than most guys so far.
Maybe its just the dealers but the tractors haven't kept up in regards to technology and driver comfort. Cabs are small and very basic (could be how they were ordered). That turned us away from pricing one.

In what way haven't they kept up in technology?

Not sure the best CVT on the market is lacking in any technology. The old Datatronic III was good, DataIV is better.

The cabs have been small, but they are very quite an comfortable. The new 600 series cabs are better.

8320farmer
Posted 7/1/2012 12:06 (#2460052 - in reply to #2459097)

East central Indiana
i grew up on nothing but orange. Running allis 175 200 185 d17 wd45 160 diesel. Then as i grew up i was allowed to run the bigger stuff 8010 8030 8050 8070 Agco 9670 9150. We always ran gleaner combines thats what my grandpa had so thats all dad would buy. In the 90s the local dealer made us an offer to roll brand new R62 combines each year for almost nothing. So we did for several years. We would get done never cleaned them just drove them back to dealer. Picked up the new one just in time for wheat harvest. Then in the fall of 2000 we had the biggest lemon ever. Anything from bent augers to bad wiring harnesses. Dealer finally quit showing up to work on it and would not answer the phone. Corporate wouldnt even answer to our concerns. We also had there newly released poly corn head. Which was all messed up to. Deere dealer had been callin wantin us to try 50series rotor out. So we told him to bring us one to try. We ended up changing colors completley there shortly after due to response from corporate. There repsonse was sorry well get you a better machine NEXT year. Pretty much your stuck for now. But better luck next time. Im glad we moved on. But we do run a rogator sprayer and mostly new idea hay equipment and would not have anything else.

Edited by 8320farmer 7/1/2012 12:07
Detroit
Posted 7/1/2012 12:30 (#2460105 - in reply to #2460052)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
8320farmer - 7/1/2012 11:06

i grew up on nothing but orange. Running allis 175 200 185 d17 wd45 160 diesel. Then as i grew up i was allowed to run the bigger stuff 8010 8030 8050 8070 Agco 9670 9150. We always ran gleaner combines thats what my grandpa had so thats all dad would buy. In the 90s the local dealer made us an offer to roll brand new R62 combines each year for almost nothing. So we did for several years. We would get done never cleaned them just drove them back to dealer. Picked up the new one just in time for wheat harvest. Then in the fall of 2000 we had the biggest lemon ever. Anything from bent augers to bad wiring harnesses. Dealer finally quit showing up to work on it and would not answer the phone. Corporate wouldnt even answer to our concerns. We also had there newly released poly corn head. Which was all messed up to. Deere dealer had been callin wantin us to try 50series rotor out. So we told him to bring us one to try. We ended up changing colors completley there shortly after due to response from corporate. There repsonse was sorry well get you a better machine NEXT year. Pretty much your stuck for now. But better luck next time. Im glad we moved on. But we do run a rogator sprayer and mostly new idea hay equipment and would not have anything else.

That's funny because when we ran a 9750 STS we were told the same thing. "the next series will be better". Got old quick hearing it. Twas a happy day when I drove it onto the detach when it left for the last time.
Silver Shoes
Posted 7/1/2012 13:12 (#2460187 - in reply to #2460105)

Seneca Kansas 66538
Yep you guys are talking about the era of Massey. Agco bought massey and all their engineers. Things like the hump that was put in the lower feeder area to make them feed better actually made them feed much worse as everyone knows by all the talk on here and the combine forums. Lots of things have changed with the from Allis, Duetz Allis, Agco Allis, Massey, Challenger, ect ect. AGCO is a young company and I always think of that saying about how engineers think they have everything perfect until a farmer gets it in the field and we find the weak spots. Well a new company like AGCO has bound to have some weak spots and has done alot of work ironing them out. Just like their decision that the Massey was going to be their future main line combine, well that was a flop because anyone the owns a Gleaner transverse and understands it, knows it is a superior harvesting system to any twist and turn axial machine on the market today. Not saying the Axial isnt a good combine but it isnt anywhere close to the same harvesting system as a transverse. For example the Axial A-85 had great capacity until you got on slopes then our R-75 could walk right by it because the A- would start shoveling grain to one side of the combine and would run over in the red on grain loss. Alot of guys are fine with the axial system and thats great, we just got used to the transverse since we have alot of terraces and slopes. The R series combines rarely slow down on a terrace or any slopes and you dont have to sit there and watch for the needle on the grain loss monitor to flop over into the red. I did like the A-85 but I thought the hydraulic rotor drive was going to limit their capacity and again they must have noticed that as well because they went back to a mechanical rotor drive on the Massey combines. AGCO, they are learning and evolving just like we do out here on the farm.
RDB Farms
Posted 7/1/2012 12:56 (#2460146 - in reply to #2459097)

ne neb
Currently run an allis charmers 200, agco rt180, challenger 655d, sunflower disk, two 8800 series white planters , gleaner R75, and a new super 77 that just arrived. Not to mention all our hay equipment. Switched from case a few years ago and couldn't be happier. Our dealer support is excellent and I have had a lot of support from corporate. Right now I think agco is on the right track and they will be hard to beat. NMC should have never been in the ag business. They put a bad taste in some people's mouths that overshadowed the quality of the equipment.
x5farmer
Posted 7/1/2012 13:54 (#2460280 - in reply to #2460146)

SC MN
Everyone should demo a new MF tractor and U will be surprised -- U might even buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
benk8680
Posted 7/1/2012 15:44 (#2460482 - in reply to #2459097)

ECIL
It's funny how someone can judge a company on a r60 or 7045...products built before Agco..but every product that Deere ever built was perfect....anyone remember a 8630??
bollpuller
Posted 7/1/2012 18:04 (#2460770 - in reply to #2460482)

Grandfield, Ok.
Or the necks breaking off of the 1380's, the drive shaft failures of the 346 balers plus other broken shafts all over. Oh the fun of working under the seat on a 00 or 20 series combine. How about the oil drip from the steering shaft on a 4010. Yes Agco has had some goofs but they do not have a patent on shotty worknmanship or poor customer support.
farmer82
Posted 7/1/2012 22:30 (#2461393 - in reply to #2460770)

S.E. Iowa
my son bought a 2625 Massey new, After a huge amount of complaining and a couple of near misses on severe accidents they traded him from a 2625 to a 2660HD for 3500 bucks. The 2660 is a bigger tractor and was a lease return. Now 200 hours later the clutch is out. What they will do about that remains to be seen. There is several under enginnered things but as far as tractor size it is a 10 for us. When we met with the service rep we had 37 things wrong with the 2625. Our next tractor will probably not be an AGCO.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)