AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is it time for a new bin pad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

john holland
Posted 6/10/2012 16:09 (#2423243 - in reply to #2423217)
Subject: Re: Is it time for a new bin pad

SE MN
Those are some big cracks. Does it have rebar? I am guessing no by the size of the cracks. Did it crack right away and the cracks have just been getting bigger or did they appear suddenly? Do you know what kind of preparation was done for the base? I am guessing that it wasn't properly compacted.

If this is a bin you can afford to take chances with, it may work for a while. If you need this bin to work, I would replace it before there is damage to the bin itself. You should have somebody knowledgable look at your soils before building a new one. It may be that you need to excavate and fill in with gravel, sand, or a better fill to get a good base. Make sure that whatever the base is, that it gets compacted (this means packing each lift if you use fill, not filling it all the way up and packing the top only). Also, every bin foundation needs rebar. The builder should be able to show you a plan. If he doesn't have one, it means he is just making things up, which may or may not work. Some will argue that you don't need rebar and to that I say that you may not need rebar if you have a fantastic base, which you probably don't have.

Good luck, there should be info on standard bin foundations online if you take some time to look.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)