AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

calcium oxide corn stover
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

5 Head
Posted 6/2/2012 13:25 (#2410688)
Subject: calcium oxide corn stover

South West MN
has any one else tried calcium oxide corn stover, we got a semi load of calcium oxide and mixed it with 50 ton of corn stalks.
the cattle eat it fine at a low inclusion rate 10% but takes a really long time to mix up. we put 1500lb stover 1500 lb water and 75 lb calcium oxide in a feed wagon. takes a long time to come out. then i make a pile of it and cover for at least 2 weeks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
garvo
Posted 6/2/2012 13:30 (#2410691 - in reply to #2410688)
Subject: Re: calcium oxide corn stover

western iowa,by Denison
I use corn silage-takes about 1 hour to chop 150 ton and about-1 minute to load 4000#-and the cattle love it!
garvo
Posted 6/2/2012 13:32 (#2410695 - in reply to #2410688)

western iowa,by Denison
not trying to be a smart--s but why does everyone chase after cornstalks (unless there free) trying to save money?When your all said and done-you have more invested then just harvesting silage?
5 Head
Posted 6/2/2012 13:47 (#2410717 - in reply to #2410695)

South West MN
i buy corn screenings and sell my corn. with ca stalks i feed my fats dm basis 10% ca stalks, 20% corn screenings, 35% bean hulls and 35% distillers. would feed more corn screenings and less hulls but screenings are hard to get this year. i am going for a low cost ration.
IAhaymakr
Posted 6/2/2012 13:43 (#2410712 - in reply to #2410688)

Northwest iowa
That whole process is a little like an on-farm meth lab. Calcium oxide is highly combustible, and if the process is done incorrectly the result is a big fire. There have been a few that I know of. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't calcium oxide also corrosive? So lets summarize: it's time consuming, potentially damgerous, maybe corrosive, and not quite as good as silage. Like Garvo said, maybe silage could still work? What is your cost per ton when you are done?
Maybe the whole process will be refined and the kinks worked out and everyone will be doing it someday, but at the present time it looks like a major PIA.
BTW, alfalfa hay is still pretty good feed too.
5 Head
Posted 6/2/2012 13:57 (#2410727 - in reply to #2410712)

South West MN
it will get hot with water but does not explode. have not had any problems with corrosion. cost 50 per ton of dm. i bought bales delivered for $35 per ton. $6 to treat but you feed less calcium so that is a wash. you also have to add water but they drink less so that is a wash. i can make 6 ton per hour at $15 per ton = $90 for time and fuel. low cost producer wins every time!!!
spankey0721
Posted 6/3/2012 08:04 (#2411624 - in reply to #2410688)
Subject: RE: calcium oxide corn stover

west central Iowa
A few down here have switched to calcium hydroxide for safety reasons. They are making a slurry and applying on the conveyor of the tub grinder and then packing. I was told their inclusion was to 5-6% ca(oh)2 on DM basis have a 50% DM product when done. I watched them do this a few weeks ago. I've been doing a lot of research on this and was surprised to find out that this was researched extensively in through the 70s and 80s. I would like to try some but am not yet convinced it is where we need to spend our money.
5 Head
Posted 6/3/2012 08:25 (#2411653 - in reply to #2411624)
Subject: spankey?

South West MN
how do they mix the slurry? how do they get the right weight on? if calcium hydroxide provides the same cemical reaction that would be nice. for us it was a pretty cheap experiment we spent $3000 and treated 1000 bales. did not have to feed hay so i sold some.
novaman
Posted 6/4/2012 11:20 (#2413602 - in reply to #2410688)

ND
Maybe this is a dumb question but why treat stover with CaO?
5 Head
Posted 6/4/2012 13:32 (#2413716 - in reply to #2413602)

South West MN
it makes them more digestable so you can feed less corn
soil consult
Posted 6/4/2012 21:41 (#2414232 - in reply to #2413716)

SE SD
Does that mean there isn't enough calcium in the stalk to begin with? I have had numerous discussions about calcium in the soil and that I don't think we have enough getting to the plant. Your feeding more to your animals, does that mean you will have more in your manure? Or does the animal use the majority of it. I never hear of anyone testing the calcium level of their manure to see if it is balanced, yet the ration in front of the animal is balanced. I have a client who has a small dairy and I get him to put barn lime in the pit everyday. He's been surprised at the difference.
ccjersey
Posted 6/4/2012 21:51 (#2414268 - in reply to #2414232)

Faunsdale, AL
The CaOH or CaO are both strongly alkaline chemicals. They break down some of the structural bonds in the stalks so it becomes more digestable.

I think NaOH is used to process small grain, but I expect the main effect is on the starch in that case. Probably would work as well on stover as CaO.

What does your neighbor see when he puts the lime in the pit every day?
soil consult
Posted 6/5/2012 22:09 (#2416061 - in reply to #2414268)

SE SD
Minimal to no crusting, minimal stirring before pumping and a lot less smell.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)