AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moisture testers------ good? bad??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 10/1/2007 12:01 (#212722)
Subject: Moisture testers------ good? bad??

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

Appears we need to buy new moisture tester(s).........

What is everyone using that appears to be dependable?

I see dickey john has one out for about 400.................I would cry big tears if that were left on a tractor tire, ...................and...............

I would rather have two for 200, checking each other, than one for 400.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
pbutler
Posted 10/1/2007 13:00 (#212742 - in reply to #212722)
Subject: RE: Moisture testers------ good? bad??

Macon, IL
I picked up a FarmEx at Rural King or Farm & Fleet for about $160-been fine.
Ed Winkle
Posted 10/1/2007 14:02 (#212759 - in reply to #212742)
Subject: Re: Moisture testers------ good? bad??

Martinsville, Ohio
Dole
Dan_wcIN
Posted 10/1/2007 16:43 (#212788 - in reply to #212759)
Subject: Re: Moisture testers------ Dole-Radson

It made a Crop - 46102
The one on our Farm doesn't have the "Dole" name on. But it's in it's 40th season of use.

Ed Winkle
Posted 10/1/2007 22:08 (#212927 - in reply to #212788)

Martinsville, Ohio
Had to get parts today from the local bin company and there was a brand new Dole 400 just like mine which is nearly as old as I am.

That thing works and it has made me money.

Ed Winkle
Skipper
Posted 10/1/2007 14:19 (#212761 - in reply to #212742)

We've been using one of those for a couple of weeks. It seems to give some varying readings on a sample but if you average or at least take the one extreme reading out its close enough for our use. Our JD tester is being repaired at a place in DesMoines Right now. Their phone ads while you are waiting says they repair all makes and also sell new. If this repair is good I'll probably check with them when in need of a new one. Service sells!
rdgrnblueguy
Posted 10/1/2007 14:22 (#212765 - in reply to #212722)

Iona, Mn
GAC 2100....Spendy but love it. Have had the 150-200 thingys and best spot for em are 'under the tire'. Honestly Jake.....Spend the extra money now and get one that'll be with ya for along time. Matter of fact they're made right in your back yard.

Addy is GSF INC.
Ankeny
800-627-6702

lorenk
Posted 10/1/2007 14:48 (#212771 - in reply to #212765)

Grand Rapids, MI
I think the answer to your question all depends on what you are using it for. If you are using it occasionally to do a quick check of the moisture to see if a field is ready to harvest, etc. then spend the $200 and don't think for another second. All these testers will get you within 1%

If on the other hand you are drying a substantial number of bushels of grain, and need to control the finished moisture content of the grain, consider going with a commercial grade tester. The "legal for trade" standard is NTEP, the GAC 2100 as mentioned above is a good example of one of these. One caution, not many if any of these are portable units, and because of the standards they are somewhat sensitive to temperature, so you will want to keep them in a heated building if you live in the north and use them late into the fall.

I do the math this way, using corn as an example: If you dry 100,000 bu of corn, and dry it an extra .5% of moisture becasue you are not sure of your tester, or not getting accurate readings, that translates into 700 bu extra shrink. At $4 per bushel that is $2800 per year. Starts to pay for better a better tester pretty quick.

If you have to use a portable tester you can achieve much better results if you calibrate your unit against a NTEP approved tester. I would take a sample and test it 3 times on the NTEP tester, then 10 or more on the portable. Average the results and note the offset. Program this into your portable tester if you can, otherwise write it on a piece of tape and attach and adjust yourself each time. When you test with the portable tester be sure to average 3-5 tests for each sample, you will probably be suprised how much they vary. With an average though, you should get much closer. A bet simpler method might be to use an "olympic" average, throwing out the high and low.

jakescia
Posted 10/1/2007 17:44 (#212800 - in reply to #212722)
Subject: Thanks, All. Bot a smaller unit........now, if anyone has a used GAC 2000???

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577
plowboy
Posted 10/1/2007 21:50 (#212905 - in reply to #212800)
Subject: RE: Thanks, All. Bot a smaller unit........now, if anyone has a used GAC 2000???

Brazilton KS
http://www.halross.com/English/product-moisture.asp

Bought one from him last winter on eBay. It works good, as one would expect from the unit which was the FGIS standard practically forever. The Motomco is lots less expensive then the GAC and every bit as accurate, although not quite a simple to use.

edit.....I did not pay nearly as much for the fresh unit on eBay as what he is asking on the website.   

Edited by plowboy 10/1/2007 21:51
jakescia
Posted 10/1/2007 22:40 (#212961 - in reply to #212905)
Subject: RE: Thanks, All. Bot a smaller unit........now, if anyone has a used GAC 2000???

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

Labtronics® Model 919.............is that the one you bot, that you're referring to?

jakescia
Posted 10/1/2007 22:54 (#212978 - in reply to #212905)
Subject: I think I am impressed.......do a reality check on this for me.......

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

Following that website you listed to the Canadian Grain Commission's site.........

http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/Pubs/Moisture/moisture-e.htm#content3

It says that:

"How the CGC ensures the precision of its meters

The CGC uses the Model 919/3.5" moisture meter for official testing of grain samples. It operates over 100 of these meters at locations across Canada. The CGC's Grain Research Laboratory (GRL) provides conversion tables for use with these meters.

Every two weeks, the GRL performs a check test on all CGC meters. The check test is performed to ensure that all CGC meters operate within our allowable tolerances of +0.2 percent moisture.

Check test samples are made available to the head offices of all major grain companies. Companies use these to compare the results of one of their meters with all CGC meters. This meter can be used as a standard if a company wishes to establish its own check test system."

The cost on the website you indicated was only 1150---1450 Canadian for the 919................so rather than spending 2800 for a DJ GAC2100, it would appear that one could buy that which the Canadian Grain Commission uses for about 1500 less.

I was quite willing to spend 1200 for a reconditioned GAC 2000.

What am I missing/overlooking?

plowboy
Posted 10/2/2007 05:08 (#213074 - in reply to #212978)
Subject: RE: I think I am impressed.......do a reality check on this for me.......

Brazilton KS

I think ours is actually a remanufactured Motomco. They are the same design.  I'd have to look it up to say for sure, but I'm pretty well certain it cost $500 or less.  Came with the electronic scale.  

They were the official standard meter in the USA when I was in college.

If you are doing hundreds of samples per day the GAC would be a lot nicer. You have to weigh samples and measure temperature and test weight to get a truely accurate (certifiable) reading from the Motomco. The combination of TW and temp adjustments are usually less then 1 % and you can pretty well guess the temperature if you know the grain is straight from the field.

Edited by plowboy 10/2/2007 05:09
Don NMO
Posted 10/1/2007 21:31 (#212889 - in reply to #212722)

The Original Lock Springs Rver Rat

We just bought the new Dickey John,$560 with a 50 dollar rebate. It appears to be every bit as accurate as they advertised.

Test weight option is extra.

jakescia
Posted 10/1/2007 22:30 (#212948 - in reply to #212889)
Subject: That's the one I finally bent over for.....the "plus"...........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

Inconsistency on DJ website.........but company said the rebate was actually good thru Nov 30.

dave morgan
Posted 10/3/2007 23:53 (#214098 - in reply to #212722)

Somerville, Indiana
Motomco from John at sulphur springs, indiana.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)