AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hardi sprayer pump
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Brassring
Posted 5/22/2012 22:41 (#2393932)
Subject: hardi sprayer pump

St.Clair Co. IL.
I blew a diapham on my pump, didn;t notice till the preasure went down and the liquid started coming out the bearing , I have a spare pump that I usually have rebuilt and ready to switch, but didn't have it ready yet, (always gonna do it tommorow) but the one pump has weep holes in the bottom of the housing so the bearing area don't fill with liquid, one don't, was wondering if I could drill a hole in the bottom of the one pump to let the liquid out when I blow a diapham the next time. TIA Bob
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Polar Bear
Posted 5/22/2012 22:51 (#2393963 - in reply to #2393932)
Subject: Re: hardi sprayer pump

NE Indiana
I just rebuilt my Hardi PIA pump. Don't see why you can't. Just make sure the drill bit doesn't go to deep and catch on the arm inside. Could break it off inside and that would be a pain to get it out. If it is disassembled would be easy to do.
Jmark71
Posted 5/22/2012 23:19 (#2394031 - in reply to #2393932)
Subject: RE: hardi sprayer pump

Kentucky

I may be remembering wrong, but I thought the diaphragm pumps had weep holes in the bottom or at least used to have them.  I think that over greasing the bearing leaves grease that can plug the hole.  It might be worth a check before you drill.

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 5/23/2012 01:01 (#2394175 - in reply to #2393932)

just a tish NE of central ND
Ya, ...I fixed my Hardi pain in the rump pump last year....... Replaced it with a Hppro hydraulic drive pump........ Now just plug in and go.........(untill I break off a boom like I just did tonite.)LOL! I did like the Hardi pump but it started to jiverate and pulsate so I figured it was time to throw it off and put something more common on there.Dont miss the pto shaft one bit.Can run it on 4x4 without a pto now too.
wilburiscool
Posted 5/23/2012 02:21 (#2394201 - in reply to #2393932)

South Australia
It sounds like one pump is older than the other. All the newer pumps have this drain hole in them for that very purpose, so there is no reason you cannot drill one yourself. As the others said though, be careful not to go too deep.

Also, the only difference between diaphragm and cetrifugal pumps is hydraulic drive standard on centrifugal, but you cannot run a centrifugal pump for any more than 60 seconds DRY without doing damage, unlike a diaphragm that can run for hours and hours dry with no damage. So, mount a hydraulic drive to the front of your diaphragm pump to do away with the PTO, and if looked after, it will give you years of service. (I know of hardi 6x diaphragm pumps that have done way over 10,000,000 Litres and still going!)
Illinois Steve
Posted 5/23/2012 17:29 (#2394955 - in reply to #2394201)

North Central Illinois
yeah I have to laugh when I read guys complaining about the junk Hardi Diaphragm pumps. They last a very long time and when the time comes to rebuild they are super easy to work on. Replacing a Hardi diaphragm pump with a junk Hypro roller pump and thinking you have done something worthwhile is really laughable.
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 5/23/2012 18:57 (#2395057 - in reply to #2394955)

just a tish NE of central ND
Illinois Steve - 5/23/2012 16:29

yeah I have to laugh when I read guys complaining about the junk Hardi Diaphragm pumps. They last a very long time and when the time comes to rebuild they are super easy to work on. Replacing a Hardi diaphragm pump with a junk Hypro roller pump and thinking you have done something worthwhile is really laughable.

It sure wasn't me.........WHO said anything about a roller pump??????????????? Now a roller pump is junk in my opinion AND WOULDNT TOUCH ONE WITH A STICK! BTDt years ago.......I went to a hypro centrifugal pump.... ya know..... run into town and grab a good pump and go back to spraying instead of ordering parts..... rebuilding and three days later getting back to spraying. No one carry's parts close by to me for that hardi pump as far as I know. And the nozzles don't fit from anything else but hardi and the threads are all British standard pipe.....Not a store around here has any, not even dealers. Dealers didn't even have a drain plug for a pump.....
Oh........ shut of the pump when the tank is dry ...... I sure did love that Hardi pump ... Nothing wrong with Hardi until It came to fixing on it..... Then it is a second rate device and I have got one laying in the junk if someone wants it..
A used Hardi has little value here....... a summers with a hpro centrifical with raven stuff seem to hold their value.

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 5/23/2012 19:03
Illinois Steve
Posted 5/24/2012 11:31 (#2396246 - in reply to #2395057)

North Central Illinois
For as mechanically inclined as you seem to be otherwise I cannot for the life of me figure out why you are so intimidated by a diaphragm pump. My mistake on your Hypro centrifugal versus roller. At least your are smart enough not to run a roller. Unfortunately Hypro pumps in general are junk and don't last. I have run millions of gallons through my Hardi before a rebuild. When time to rebuild it is a simple matter that can be accomplished in probably an hour. My CIH dealer who is also a Hardi dealer has any and all parts on hand to rebuild the pump and anything else on the sprayer. OMG!! It has metric fittings and bolts on it! What will I do! Most dealers carry metric bolts and standard size hoses are close enough to the metrics to be used. I have done this many times. As far as nozzels are concerned when I get a set I always get about four five extra nozzels and caps in case of breakage or losing one. If you really have your undies in a bundle about Hardi nozzels and want to run Tee-Jet you can buy the adaptor caps and run whatever nozzels you like. Around here Hardi sprayers hold their value better than most.
tigger
Posted 5/23/2012 20:00 (#2395146 - in reply to #2394201)

Iowa
Is there a way to replace the diaphragms on a Hardi Navigator pump when the tank is nearly full, or does one have to finish spraying the laod before working on the pump?
Jmark71
Posted 5/23/2012 21:48 (#2395336 - in reply to #2395146)

Kentucky

tigger - 5/23/2012 19:00 Is there a way to replace the diaphragms on a Hardi Navigator pump when the tank is nearly full, or does one have to finish spraying the laod before working on the pump?

My Commander 4400 has a valve that will shut off the tank to the pump so you can change diaphragms or clean the suction filter.

wilburiscool
Posted 5/23/2012 22:22 (#2395439 - in reply to #2395336)

South Australia
This is right. There should be a valve that selects between main tank suction and flush tank suction. The valve itself should have a blank spot on it, which should isolate both tanks from the pump. On the newer (2008 onwards) Navigators and Commanders, the suction filter has a ball valve in the bottom that automatically isolates both tanks when you open the suction valve lid.
tigger
Posted 5/23/2012 23:13 (#2395568 - in reply to #2395146)

Iowa
Thanks. Mine is an older model and does not have all the valves. The intake hose can be disconnected at the top of the tank. The rinse and (with any luck) agitation lines can disconnect there as well. I'm otherwise worried about them backfeeding to the pump if I try to disconnect the output hose at the pump first. Hopefully one of the closer dealers will have a pump kit tomorrow.
bike across Iowa
Posted 5/23/2012 10:03 (#2394498 - in reply to #2393932)

Charles City. Iowa
I have not see a Hardi pump with out a drain hole. I say there is a hole there. If you do not have just drill it out, I have see pumps that the hole is plug and take a wire in and clean out.

PS I have seen pumps that hole is in the wrong place and take a part the pump a and turn to the bottom. Someone put togetter wrong in the past..

Edited by bike across Iowa 5/23/2012 10:29
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)