AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 7000 Planter
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cornstalk5
Posted 4/28/2012 15:48 (#2358038)
Subject: John Deere 7000 Planter

ECIL
Can a 7000 4RW be adjusted to 30" rows easily. I would like one for planting sweetcorn and patching in ponds but I can't find many with narrow rows. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
John Smith
Posted 4/28/2012 15:53 (#2358043 - in reply to #2358038)
Subject: RE: John Deere 7000 Planter

South Central Illinois
Should be very easy.
paul the original
Posted 4/28/2012 16:07 (#2358065 - in reply to #2358038)
Subject: Re: John Deere 7000 Planter

southern MN
The rockshaft for the wheel spacing gets in the way. Need to cut down the axle, reweld the pivots on. So, not 'easy'.

There are some conservation models with bolt on axles, don't remember if that applies to the 4 row models as well, that would be 'easy', but are harder to find and I bet most have been converted.

--->Paul
SD-455
Posted 4/28/2012 16:09 (#2358068 - in reply to #2358038)
Subject: RE: John Deere 7000 Planter

Northeast Indiana (Auburn)
The quick answer is no if it has a rockshaft lift. If it as a conservation planter everything will slide in. You would have to figure out the markers. With a wide front tractor set on 40" rows I ran the tire in the marker. If you can find a junked out 6-30 planter get the rockshaft from it and cut off what you don't need.
jedeka
Posted 4/28/2012 16:11 (#2358073 - in reply to #2358038)

Boone, Iowa
I looked at one a few years back and thought the transmission would need to be moved to the end of the planter. I had a 6 row narrow IH Cyclo 400 given to me. I did a little bit of work to it to make it field ready. I will know in a couple of weeks how the stand count is and if this was a good investment of not. Lol
Daryl in KY
Posted 4/28/2012 17:52 (#2358214 - in reply to #2358073)

Kentucky
The conservation planters can be moved I think down to 28". They have a cylinder on each wheel. The regular 7000's have only 1 cylinder and come in either wide or narrow if memory serves.
ekeller2
Posted 4/28/2012 18:50 (#2358312 - in reply to #2358038)

So. IL
The transmission is fine, the 2 units will need to slide all the way in. The outside 2 units are not so easy, the wheels are in the way. This requires the rockshaft to be re worked. I left the brackets on the frame, and took a section out of the rockshaft and then re welded this section back on the end of the rock shaft.
Gerald J.
Posted 4/28/2012 19:39 (#2358405 - in reply to #2358038)
Subject: Been there done that.

Been there done that. It can't be done without cutting, welding and a bit of drilling.

The transmission is not a problem, first step is to move the inner rows to 30" spacing centered. I loosened the U bolts and with the planter in travel height I just drove the U bolts to the side with a sturdy hammer. With more muscle, it might have been easier (and for sure quicker) to have taken the row units off, then moved the U bolts and brackets and remounted the row units.

I towed it to the welding shop where I blocked up the planter, took off the wheels, and then dropped the wheel frame. My welder cut the bars for the wheels off the wheel frame, and made some new plates to weld them to, leaving the originals in case I wanted to make it wide again. It was easier to cut some new plates than to clean up the others after cutting them loose.

narrowed 7000 wheel frame

Then I reassembled the planter. A flat floor was handy to align the wheel bars when welding them back.

Then I slid the outer units in and moved in the drive sprocket on the drive hex shaft where I had to drill a new hole for the sprocket and ratchet assembly.

Its SOP with the 4 row narrow to run the marker in the far tractor wheel track. When you can see that wheel from the tractor seat, its a far more precise driving situation than looking 30 feet ahead over the center of the tractor hood. The marker just can't be short enough for that anyway. So the marker disk is set 105" from the outside row.

I also bent the marker bracket for the marker disk so the disk stood up on edge and it cut much better. I separated the marker and lift hydraulics so I could get the marker on the ground faster at the beginning of each pass.

Its a good planter wide or narrow and this is how I made mine narrow. I think I paid the welder about $350 for his part, with buying a good 4 row planter for $1200 I think I did OK. I also added the fertilizer coulters, the dawn trash wheels and had the finger units gone through, plus I bought Kinze bean units. All of which increased my investment but it planted well for me.

I considered getting the wheel frame from a 4 row narrow or a 6 row narrow but Kalsem Salvage said that was virtually an impossible find because of fertilizer overloading 6 row narrow wheel frames and so all in the salvage yard had gone to fix that problem. None to be had anymore

Gerald J.

ng01
Posted 4/28/2012 21:35 (#2358610 - in reply to #2358405)

fredericksburg, va
My dad did his the same way Greald did . He used his for about 15 yrs till he went to a 6 row. His is for sale --bad part is we are in VA
Bill Moyer
Posted 4/29/2012 14:53 (#2359907 - in reply to #2358405)

Coldwater, Michigan
Gerald,

Your way is basically how most of the Narrow 7000's were originally done in Michigan. Dealers would buy them out west and cut them to 30" rows for their customers. When Deere production caught up there was no further need till farmers wanted to convert their wide planters to 30" rows. You seem to have done a good job of the issue.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)