AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Compact tractors & rearmount finishing mowers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmerrob
Posted 4/15/2012 15:20 (#2337476)
Subject: Compact tractors & rearmount finishing mowers

I have been looking at compact tractors(15 to 25 HP) that include a mower deck. The one tractor I really like comes with a rear 3 pt mounted finishing mower rather than a mid mount. I have not ran one with this type before. How does it compare to a mid mount? Anyone care to share the good and bad about this type of finishing mower set up? I like it because it seems it would is easy to hook and unhook so I could use the tractor for other small chores. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iseedit
Posted 4/15/2012 15:29 (#2337487 - in reply to #2337476)
Subject: RE: Compact tractors & rearmount finishing mowers

central - east central Minnesota -

farmerrob - 4/15/2012 14:20 I have been looking at compact tractors(15 to 25 HP) that include a mower deck. The one tractor I really like comes with a rear 3 pt mounted finishing mower rather than a mid mount. I have not ran one with this type before. How does it compare to a mid mount? Anyone care to share the good and bad about this type of finishing mower set up? I like it because it seems it would is easy to hook and unhook so I could use the tractor for other small chores. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have had both configurations . . .. Hated the rear 3pt ! Bought it cheap (FarmKing brand, excellent). I would never consider such for fine finishing on a lawn.
Harder to get around trees and landscaping .  .
They do not follow the hollows of dips/divits and ditchs, like a mid-mount . . .
I'm supprised someone doesn't offer more selection of pull types ~
Pull types are easier to get around landscaping and trees and work well in ditches and such.
You'd be supprised how nicely a pull type works (nicer then a midmount) . . .

(P5060117.JPG)

(cubmower.jpg)

(DX45Mower.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P5060117.JPG (76KB - 421 downloads)
Attachments cubmower.jpg (86KB - 399 downloads)
Attachments DX45Mower.jpg (91KB - 421 downloads)
WillB
Posted 4/15/2012 15:45 (#2337512 - in reply to #2337476)

Ontario Canada
Have had both, prefer the rear finish mower.The MF RF500 is built by Alamo.

DSC_0132

Works great for backing in to corners, easier to hitch up/remove, and roll around when in the way.

Try to get a floating hitch, and front anti scalp roller.
Ron (Cen. IL.)
Posted 4/15/2012 15:56 (#2337529 - in reply to #2337476)

Central Illinois

I have a C-IH Farmall 35 (35 horsepower) with a 6 foot finishing mower.

The mower is only 6 inches wider on each side than the width of the tractor, so when you mow in circles (around evergreen trees for example) the mower swings away from the trees, so more trimming (or manuvering sp? with the mower) is needed.

The anti-scalp roller on the front middle of the mower is only around 8 inches wide and really needs to be bigger considering the weight of the mower especially if the ground is a little soft.

The mower is heavy, so more weight on the front is needed, like when turning uphill with the mower slightly raised. I also have weights on the rear tires, when stopping and backing up with the mower on the ground, the rear end is light and tires will spin a little.

Front wheel assist is needed when mowing hills, as the heavy mower wants to make the rear end slide down the slope. (Mine has Industial tires, I think Diamond tires would be worse, bar-type might be better.)

I think the mid-mount decks are made heavy enough to drive to front tires on to mount or remove the deck. I think some John Deere's are made to automatically latch and connect the driveshaft without getting off the tractor.

I would've liked to try a mid mount deck, but my cousin (who has a rear-mount) said it would be easier to get hung-up if mowing roadsides with a mid-mount. I also have a loader and I read (possibly on this site) that the mid-mount should be removed when using the loader to avoid damage to it if you got hung-up. Good luck.
Buster 50
Posted 4/15/2012 16:34 (#2337581 - in reply to #2337487)

North West IA/western AZ
I have a pull type like iseedit that does almost everything except the lawn (around hog buildings and such). I tried the 3 pt mounts and hated them. Have a zero turn Grasshopper for the lawn and closeup work.
radman1
Posted 4/15/2012 16:37 (#2337596 - in reply to #2337476)

I have a jd 2305 (23 hp) and jd 4520 (66 hp). Both are near the extremes for compact utility tractors. The 2305 has a mid mount and the other a rhino 84" rear finish mower (RFM). Both have their advantages. Mid mount will let you mow around stuff easier but it won't lift as high to clear obstacles. Mid mount is easier on the neck and don't have to look backwards.

Nearly all mid mounts are side discharge. Most newer RFMs are rear discharge and spread the clippings better especially in heavy or tall grass. Rear discharge will allow you to mow close on either side due to no side chute. Mow any direction you want. RFM will allow you to back under low obstacles and mow under them such as trees or shrubs. If get a RFM, do not get a side discharge. Been there, done that. I think both do a similar job mowing but mid mount better because less tires pushing down the grass (just 2 front tires on mid mount).

RFM seems to be noiser. Have had 2 different rhino mowers and king cutter and both more noisy.

Easier to change and sharpen blades by lifting the 3 pt on the RFM. I have to drive the mid mount onto some blocks.

RFM will be cheaper than mid mount.

RFM on a small mower will really make the front end light. May need front weights unless you have a loader.

RFM more challenging than mid mount to mow. The swing of the RFM can result in damage. A concern if have inexperienced users.

In open, large areas I use the 84" rhino and can cover a lot of ground. Can mow taller grass and the mower is heavier built. Around the house and trees, I use the smaller and more nimble mid mount. If I was just mowing around the house only (less than half acre), around berms, trees, flower garden, I would choose mid mount over same size RFM because ease of use and not needing to look backwards.

packerfan
Posted 4/15/2012 20:44 (#2337965 - in reply to #2337476)

Western illinois
You've gotten some good info, but I'd like to add to it.
I had a rear discharge that I thought would be great around
flower beds, etc. It just windrowed the grass unless you mowed
it constantly. Personally, I think a mid mount on a compact would
be too bulky for a lawn. It would be fine for wide open places
that you didn't care if you scuffed it up when turning.
I traded the finishing mower and my lawn tractor for a zero turn mower.
My compact runs a 4' bush hog.
hoddykubody
Posted 4/15/2012 20:49 (#2337986 - in reply to #2337965)

I am the odd man out here I agree with Chris and others convenience is great and they do a good job but I have a mid mount on a 3520 jd and wouldn't change . Yes it has some clearance issues sometime but I get a stiiff neck easy looking back without a swivel seat . They are good mowers but I guess it depends if this is a dedicated mower tractor or a do everything machine with quick change 3 ponint implements
kmk
Posted 4/15/2012 20:57 (#2338007 - in reply to #2337986)

West Central IL
I have the same thing with the auto attach deck and love it. I can run it and the X740 lawn tractor with the 60 inch 7 iron deck on the same yard and not tell which one mowed where.
farmerrob
Posted 4/15/2012 20:58 (#2338008 - in reply to #2337986)
Subject: Re: Compact tractors & rearmount finishing mowers

It will be more a small "chore" tractor. Used to clean out the barn with the loader, bush hog small strips to intensive graze- I do that to set up my electric netting for the goats, to using a rear tiller to make a garden, to using a post hole digger. I would say 70% of the time it will be mowing the yard- about an acre- acre and a half.
Varment
Posted 4/15/2012 22:23 (#2338257 - in reply to #2337476)
Subject: Re: Compact tractors & rearmount finishing mowers

Ontario's West Coast , Huron County
I have a White FB 31 and a 6ft Douglas rear discharge mower and don't like it for cutting the lawn . Just bought a CubCadet Z Force zero turn with a steering wheel and love it . Rear mowers are in my mind o.k. if you are doing a large open area with no obstructions . Also my Douglas seems to windrow the grass bad out the one side .
I also have a bushhod 6ft side discharge mower and it works better than the Douglas but I use it mainly for ruf cutting .

Joe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)