AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginner crop scouting help!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

wildcat_farmer
Posted 3/27/2012 09:58 (#2308320 - in reply to #2308004)
Subject: Re: Beginner crop scouting help!

SE Kansas
Thanks for the great advice guys! We farm in southwest Kansas, 45 miles east of Dodge City around the Lewis area. The farm has right around 4,700 acres under pivot and the rest is dryland. Mostly a sandy clay loam base to pure sandy loam soil. My boss had a new 4940 John Deere sprayer this winter. I've ran about 20 hours on it through topdressing wheat and putting on atrazine and some insecticide.

I would have to say through the years of being on the farm that my boss is very laid back and understanding of mistakes happening. He is on his thrid sprayer so his knowledge is very thorough on the application side. That being said he is basically my mentor on this side of the job.

I attend Kansas State University, a major in Agribusiness with a minor in agronomy and Ag technology management I am trying to prepare myself the best I can while I am still in school. With their outstanding agronomy department I am sure I can find plenty of handouts and reports on crop scouting and the like.

My biggest concern is the the whole other side of the job; scouting fields. There is a local agronomist that works for himself and is probably the best around that i know. I have thought about maybe on some slow days at the farm seeing if i can ride around with him for the day,but he is extremely busy covering between 25 to 30 thousand acres every week by himself.
Just trying to get my mind wrapped around the whole idea is a bit mind boggling, im sure that it will all fall into place eventually.

Thanks for the help!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)