AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fertilizing soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jocoshar23
Posted 3/5/2012 08:13 (#2268739 - in reply to #2268534)
Subject: RE: you still didn't answer my question

SE IA
I don't doubt all your research/findings one bit, that is hardly good information. I asked you how much plant food are you putting on each acre for soybeans. I want to know soil applied N-P-K-S-Zn-Ca? and Foliar applied N-P-K-S-Zn-Ca?

"If we are going to take chemistry and the interaction of nutrients I believe that you will find over time that you can raise high yielding crop with less than 300 lbs. SOP considering we could lose more than 50% of KCL which would equate to 75 lbs. of actual K and with the math this would be 150 lbs. per acre SOP which is a 1-1 ratio KCL to SOP and I would run less we have one farm with 20 years of no K applied and yield are increasing we have started using 200 lbs. of 17-9-7-5s-7ca which is a blend of ammonium nitrate and AMS. "

This is fine and dandy, and I know that many guys raise good crops without much fertilizer. Here is my point, if you plan on growing 100 bu. soybeans, you are removing 150 units of K. (that is the actual data), how are you replacing that? the following year in the corn? If your answer is that we don't need that much K, then your fertility program to me does nothing but mine nutrients and isn't sustainable, therefore I will not think much of this program unless you can show me where you are making up the difference for the imbalance of nutrients removed.

One last point, if you claim that we lose 50% of the KCL then shouldn't you be applying much much more to compensate for the loss? IF we lose 50% of KCL, then why wouldn't we apply enough to compensate for the loss, we have been doing that in corn with nitrogen for 40 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)