AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hutterite colony ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

kritzy
Posted 2/26/2012 01:30 (#2252033)
Subject: hutterite colony ?

red river valley se of fargo
I was just wondering if anyone knows how the hutterites tax structure works. We have a colony about 40 miles away that is looking to start a new colony near me. I don't have a problem with that and I wish them luck. I was just wondering if I'm competing on a level playing field or are they receiving some tax breaks that I might not be. I don't expect to pull my standard of living down to theirs so I'm already behind the 8-ball.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
redoak
Posted 2/26/2012 08:39 (#2252193 - in reply to #2252033)
Subject: Re: hutterite colony ?

sw ontario
Jon Hofer from Starlite colony spoke at the SWOPC this week and did video-power point presentation of there farm and history of hutterites.. The labor force they have,high technology and skills made them look pretty impressive . From his presentation I would say they are top 1% in productivity and cost advantage. Tax structure - I don't know. Most surprising was his openness about how they live and operate.School-education is #1 priority.
mbret
Posted 2/26/2012 08:49 (#2252216 - in reply to #2252033)
Subject: RE: hutterite colony ?

Manitoba, Canada.
I think they pay their fair share of taxes, just not sure about how much they collect in benefits. If you took a big farm profit and split it amongst 300 men and women each would show a personal tax income of maybe 10 grand or something, so 20,000 personal household income with 8 kids living in that house would qualify for a pile of personal tax and child benefits.
Tara Farms
Posted 2/26/2012 09:12 (#2252256 - in reply to #2252216)

Red River Valley
All income goes to the Church so they pay no Personal Income taxes, They do pay land taxes just as everyone else does except they get a homestead credit for every family in the colony.

they all live on a poverty level Income so they are all eligible for welfare benefits. the one near us does take government commodities ( milk,cheese and such).

as for their claim of education first Maybe but they pull their kids out as soon as they reach the age of 16 as state law lets them.

but because of their income structure a school district that receives state or federal aid figured on Income get's some benefit from them being in the district.
JD9400
Posted 2/26/2012 09:27 (#2252283 - in reply to #2252256)

WCIN
I need to become a church... Wonder what it takes?
Tara Farms
Posted 2/26/2012 09:34 (#2252295 - in reply to #2252283)

Red River Valley
First step is to make sure That you always invoke the statement that I have god on my side -- Second step is to let everyone you talk to now that the countries "moral standards" are slipping and you are the one who they need to change that --- Third and most Important is to have a lot of cool aid available.
Cattle Feeder
Posted 2/26/2012 09:58 (#2252354 - in reply to #2252295)

You saw the debates too
blue collar
Posted 2/26/2012 10:27 (#2252416 - in reply to #2252256)

Manitoba
most colonies up here in manitoba are pushing the kids to stay in school until they are 18 and graduate. this goes for boys and girls. but i guess if one wants to drop out there is always work for him to do too.
Brady NWMN
Posted 2/26/2012 09:55 (#2252344 - in reply to #2252033)

West/NW Minnesota
The colony you are talking about does pay real estate taxes. My salesman out of hawley, mn who has dealt with them told me that they also pay some income tax. Not sure of just the farm entity or what. This is what I was told fwiw.
kritzy
Posted 2/26/2012 13:27 (#2252770 - in reply to #2252344)
Subject: RE: hutterite Brady NWMN

Hey Brady. Would you happen to be Brady Buttenhoff?
Brady NWMN
Posted 2/26/2012 14:10 (#2252872 - in reply to #2252770)
Subject: RE: hutterite Brady NWMN

West/NW Minnesota
Hi kritzy,it would be me You bid on any of that land that was sold by you? Too rich for my blood, and too heavy and sour as well, or at least some of it. Better over by your place though I think.
lawndart
Posted 2/26/2012 10:07 (#2252371 - in reply to #2252033)

N/C Montana
Many advantages to showing low personal income. Among them are free/subsidized medical care,food stamps, earned income tax credit Some colonies in Montana have managed to set up publically funded schools that are essentially 100% Hutterite. Good for SAMs Club/ Walmart etc- not so much for local businesses.
Jay in WA
Posted 2/26/2012 10:22 (#2252406 - in reply to #2252033)

Pasco WA.
My accountant also has a Hutterite colonie as a client. I asked him one time if they pay tax's. His response was that they certainly do. I do not know what structure they use or if the tax's are paid personaly or by the farm.
Tara Farms
Posted 2/26/2012 10:30 (#2252424 - in reply to #2252406)
Subject: I'm sure they file and pay all taxes that are due

Red River Valley
but when all the Income goes to the church the taxes due are less.

btw I would get a new accountant if he is telling you their personal info ------- who is he telling about yours.

Edited by Tara Farms 2/26/2012 16:26
Big Ben
Posted 2/28/2012 00:18 (#2256319 - in reply to #2252424)
Subject: RE: I'm sure they file and pay all taxes that are due

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
Doesn't sound like the accountant told him much. You could easily get as much or more information if you just asked a Hutterite directly.

idaho dry farmer
Posted 2/26/2012 22:13 (#2254021 - in reply to #2252406)

Southern Idaho
i agree wholeheartdly lawndart, and i thank you and the other veterans for your service to this country.

idf
idaho dry farmer
Posted 2/26/2012 22:14 (#2254028 - in reply to #2252406)

Southern Idaho
i agree wholeheartdly lawndart, and i thank you and the other veterans for your service to this country.

idf
farmertull
Posted 2/26/2012 12:54 (#2252695 - in reply to #2252033)

South Dakota
They pay property and sales taxes but the is about it when you split it between the many man and woman who are treated as second class citizens. There was a time in our country when we feared and hated communism. Hutterite Colonies are the purist form of communism. We can't buy a cuban Cigar but we buy food from Hutterite colonies. My Mennonite friends go to the colonies in my area to get them to leave because they think they are heathens. Each Colony is different but spirituality is not the most important thing but they use it as a justification for coming into an area and take it over.
Dennis SEND
Posted 2/26/2012 13:02 (#2252712 - in reply to #2252033)

I live by several colonies for the most part they are very good neighbors, my understand of the tax situtation is, yes they pay taxes however when you have 100+ people living there the deductions are high, another thing they have going for them a lot of stuff you and I purchase with after tax dollars like clothing, household items, and food they either grow/raise, make and build themselves which leaves most of the income to buy items that are tax deductable, most are very good at copying items for themselves, local one has copied many peices of farm machinery on the market today, and as long as they use it just for them selves and don't sell them, nobody can do anything about it, another thing they all drive pickups or vans which I shure are tax deductable as well and they don't have to buy mama a car to drive around in cause the women don't drive, here anyways they don't get subsidized food or healthcare, my understand is they have there own "colony" health insuance where each colony pays into a "fund" for big healthcare expenses, they have there own school system here, with there own teacher hired through the local school district, and the way that works is the local school district gets X dollars for each student from the state and they apply that towards the teacher salary and the colony is required to make up the difference if there is a shortfall in the wage.
KAD
Posted 2/26/2012 13:29 (#2252776 - in reply to #2252712)

WC MN
They have cash. They have bought many thousands of acres here in western MN. in the last 10 years. KAD
Brown
Posted 2/26/2012 13:35 (#2252795 - in reply to #2252033)

SE Iowa

We sure had a great rhubarb/raisin wine one morning after sorting feeder cattle some years ago in Montana at a colony.

Never forget it.

OHKen
Posted 2/26/2012 14:12 (#2252880 - in reply to #2252795)

Ohio
Rhubarb/raison--anybody got the recipe for that. That sounds really good.

Edited by OHKen 2/26/2012 14:14
PeteMN
Posted 2/26/2012 14:21 (#2252899 - in reply to #2252880)

E.Central MN
My neighbors used to make beet wine and let it sit in their basement for a couple years. Man, that stuff was so smooooooooth going down. I don't know what the alcohol content was but if you drank a couple glasses, it could sure make a person start to sweat.
PeteMN
Posted 2/26/2012 14:12 (#2252878 - in reply to #2252033)

E.Central MN
When the colony gets to a certain size then it is supposed to divide in half and start a new colony. They are supposed to save enough money to pay for the new colony to get started. When a colony decides to start a new enterprise then they can borrow money from other colonies. I don't know how many of their enterprises could be classified as being church businesses when they are purely profit driven. One that I have dealt with has a charitable fund that accepts donations from companies which they resell to pay for their food donations to places in Africa which includes colonies they are setting up there. I could see a fair amount of skimming being done for "beer" money, etc. I don't think they are any more honest or religious than any other group of people. I see no reason they should get any tax breaks, its their decision to live in their social structure.
kritzy
Posted 2/26/2012 15:00 (#2252970 - in reply to #2252033)

Yeah those 3 parcels ended up being priced the opposite of what I thought they should be. The hoots will have theirs tiled right away I'm sure. I was thinking I would talk to them about doing mine right next to theirs.
Posted 2/26/2012 15:34 (#2253027 - in reply to #2252970)

By any means necessary you NEED to stop these rats from setting up in your very own backyard, even if that means paying double for the land. Once you have em, not even poison will rid them of your sight!!!!!!
vande
Posted 2/26/2012 16:53 (#2253188 - in reply to #2253027)

sw minnesota
i used to drive feed truck and hauled the hoots south of mitchell, sd feed. They always wanted me to bring them whiskey and they would trade me for their dandelion wine, which was very good. But this was pretty hush hush, I would talk to the feed mill guy while one of the younger ones would run to other side of the truck and swap it, it was pretty funny. that dandelion wine sure has a kick to it, no more than 2 glasses for me.
lawndart
Posted 2/26/2012 17:14 (#2253230 - in reply to #2252033)

N/C Montana
About 20 years ago had a friend with a beautiful ranch on the east slope of the Montana Rocky Mountains. Hutterite colony bought land next to him and wanted his also. Built a hog barn on the very corner of their property directly upwind and as close as possible to his ranch yard. Purpose was obvious- spent a lot on lawyers but believe he was eventually out of luck. At the risk of sounding judgmental have to raise eyebrows at any group who emigrates to escape religious persecution yet chooses not to participate in the common defense of the country that makes those freedoms possible.
Redman
Posted 2/27/2012 00:55 (#2254363 - in reply to #2252033)
Subject: RE: All over again eh?

SW Saskatchewan
Many of the Hutterite colonies in Canada arose from the Lynching of the South Dakota Martyrs who were persecuted by rabid anti-German sentiment in the first war.

Make good neighbours, good farmers, have family values that a republican can only talk about and give more to their communities than they take out.

Don't let hate ruin your life.
sawinc
Posted 2/27/2012 09:43 (#2254698 - in reply to #2254363)

NCSD
Probably some good, as you point out.

Probably some bad, as you omit.
lawndart
Posted 2/27/2012 12:44 (#2254988 - in reply to #2254363)

N/C Montana
Not sure why R's versus D's is germane to the subject but would be interested in your views concerning the need for a standing defense and whether declining to participate in such while enjoying the benefits provided by those freedoms should not be a concern to the republic as a whole? Regards. Lawndart
Alberta Farmer
Posted 2/27/2012 02:54 (#2254410 - in reply to #2252033)

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge
So if they donate profits to the church to save taxes, how does the money get out of the church for things that aren't write offs, like land? Does the church buy the land, with before tax dollars? And if so, I may just start my own cult, anyone want to join?

A neigbor of mine who hires a lot of dispirited young hutterites says the colonies will collapse within a generation, too much dissent, young people want nothing to do with the lifestyle, alcohol and drug abuse are rampant.

Personally, I have to admire their business sense, and work ethic, and perhaps the lifestyle, but I've not seen it from the inside. They seem to be the only ones in the world who have succeeded at communism, not that that is a positive. How were they treated during the McCarthy era?
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)