AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizer recomendations?? Soil Tests
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 2/4/2012 09:00 (#2204847 - in reply to #2204720)
Subject: Re: Fertilizer recomendations?? Soil Tests

Little River, TX
if you trusted the lab to test your soil, why didn't you trust them to pay for their recommendations also and at least use them for a guide???

A full lifetime ago Dr Coleman at A & L Plains informed me that a Lab can do a reasonably good job on their qualitative analysis but unless they have done a multi year test their recommendations are questionable.

John Menghini at Midwest works hard to he has worked with me and for me on my soil analysis but he has not disputed Dr Coleman's advise.
I can understand his point of view, as I am here and better able to appreciate the information.  To Be quite truthful bad data has slipped through John's Quality Control System.
It was John who encouraged me to indulge in a series of measured CEC analysis.  The good thing is our soil will not change CEC values, unless I haul in a big bunch of sand to mix with this clay.
I expect John is also well aware that the Black Clay in the Riesel Prairie may look like the soil here but it is definitely different. Just a short 40 mile drive too.

We have not come to an agreement on their reported calcium levels for the soil on this farm. We are each looking at a different side of the coin. 
The result of those conversations was I ran a series of Free Lime Analysis. As with the CEC values, with our calcareous soils the percentage of free calcium carbonate will not change, in any of our lifetimes.

The significance of a free lime analysis is for Phosphate fertilization.  With out knowing the free lime percentage it is difficult if not impossible to determine the amount of phosphate to apply.
(to change by 1 ppm P Olsen add 17 lbs P2O5 plus an additional 10 lbs for each percentage of free lime)

It is our responsibility to monitor any and all analysis and to question the strange or different than usual. The Labs will save our samples long enough for us to do our own quality assurance.

Soil analysis is literally dirt cheap.
For this reason I submit three samples in the place of one, and average the results.  Field # 11 East End may be represented by sample #s 3, 14, & 16. I fully expect there to be differences in results. A major difference will be questioned.

Much of all that is behind me. I now use  hay analysis to monitor fertility. Each field for each cutting is tested. I look at each analysis result and also average the years results.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)