AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A couple pieces of shop equipment. (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 1/22/2012 20:09 (#2179197)
Subject: A couple pieces of shop equipment. (pics)

Hi all. Since I've been learning a lot from you guys posting pics of cool shops and shop equipment like lifts to get things into a loft and other cool things, I figured I would post a couple pics of 2 pieces of the equipment I have made over the years that have helped me a lot.

Before we poured a bit of new concrete, I had the saw inside the small shop. It was crazy trying to move the saw or move the steel each time an angle cut has to be made. So I made this sled for it about 20 years ago. What a dream. No more moving the saw or the previously leveled support stands etc. Now I simply pivot the saw on the sled and adjust the saw's back stop. Here's some pictures of it I took this afternoon at the request of someone on another forum.

Sled and saw.

nuther'n.

This is a trailer hub and spindle that I mounted the saw on. It is not quite under the saw's backstop axis, but I had to compromise a bit to keep the saw somewhat balanced to make it easy to move.

The underside of the saw plate. I also weled a stiffener to the plate to aid in keeping the whole thing as rigid as possible.

This is the method of index. Crude, but effective.

45'd.

Indexing mechanism. Self explaining.

The indexing pin.

Countersunk holes to hold the pin tight and in place. It works very well.

The underside of the indexing pin. The pipe that the pin resides in is bored to fit well but tight with a little neversieze. The pipe extends to the framework to support the mounting plate.It rubs along the frame when I have a lot of small parts and pieces stored on the plate under the saw.

The mid roller is on a 2" tube with a piece of a hitch reciever that has a sinch bolt to hold it in place. I can move it side to side in any place it is needed.

To hold the height of the mid roller, I made an eccentric cam handle with a spring to hold against the inner pipe. The heavier the downward push, the more the cam digs in and holds. I just have to remember to not put grease on it.

This is a press I made about the same time as the saw sled. One thing Iearned over the years of using a press, (and knowing a lot of people get hurt using one) is that a lot of failure and injury is caused when the press beams flex and store energy, then explosively release it. I decided I wanted no more of that, so I made the beams as a welded box instead of tubing or channel or any other form of extrusion. The welded box is much more rigid and does not store energy.

I use tractor weights on a cable network to return the pin to the up position. Currently I use a 12 ton jack, but someday hope to have an electric hydraulic system on it.

nuther'n.

I made a pin extension that can be replaced so as not to bugger up the main pin which is 4140. The pin extension is just 1018 cold, and the main pin bottoms against the extension inside the coupler. The 5/16" bolt is only a means to keep the extension from falling off when in the raised position.

I can slide the beams out for larger items. Later on I had a need to press some very tall items and had to install a couple lower beam supports. I have used them a few times since, but it gets scary with that much area between the beam and the push pin.

This is one of the small benders I made for it. I used a small piece of Freeman baler plunger rail for the upper die and a heavy angle iron supported with a few gussets for the lower dies.

I use the heck out of this press. It has done several CIH shaker bushing jobs as well. But that is the main reason I really want an electric hydraulic system on it. Arm pump doing a bushing set gets painful.

And this week santa showed up with a special present. d:-) The boss came by a while back and wanted to know what I was doing. I told I was building a 3 point dolly. At the time, I was also cutting the tube and bar for a 30' harrow I will start welding this week. All that cutting had me changing the saw above, a lot. He asked when I was going to get to the strip till dolly that I spent so much of his money on? Sarcastically I said when he gets me a new saw so I dont have to spend so much time adjusting the old one.....................Look what showed up the other day. I just uncrated it this afternoon. Merry Christmas Don. !!!!!!

Thanks for looking.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)