AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3 pt. tool carrier dolly project. (with pictures)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 1/21/2012 22:30 (#2177388)
Subject: 3 pt. tool carrier dolly project. (with pictures)

Hi all. Been making some changes on the farm lately. So far all of our newer conservation equipment has been tool bar units. So we sorta decided that we like this method of tooling and since aquiring a Steiger, we figure it may be a way to go. So we bought a BluJet landtracker 9400 this past fall and really like it. But it has a few shortfalls on our end with hitch length and underslung clearence.

I decided to make a single 3 point dolly for those times when a single tool is required, or if a 3rd tool is needed behind the landtracker or other tool. Typically dolly systems are made with wheel lifts like the landtracker and so many others. I do not really like that method as it makes it difficult to mount tanks or other equipment on the framework. It also has other limits when the tires travel further from the tool as it lowers to the soil.

So with that, I looked around and found an affordable heavy cat 3 three point hitch. It is supposed to be a front 3 point for tractors, but instead of the 15 degree forward tilt, I asked Buckeye to make it vertical mounted. No problem. Great people to deal with. Awesome quality craftsmanship IMO. I would not hesitate to buy another one from them if the need comes about. I told them I was going to tow it instead of push it, no problem there either.

I still have to plumb the hydraulics and weld a tongue jack on, then paint, but it may be a bit before I get to that as the bad weater is not very good for painting outdoors and I still have to order the hydraulic tubes and jack. I dont have much going on this evening, so even though it is not finished, I hope you dont mind a few pics of the build. I will try to remember to take some of it when done, but I do forget things. So here goes.........

The Buckeye hitch.

How it mounts.

I had some 1x4" flat from making tools for the Bigham Bros strip till units we have, so I used some for the mounting ribs. I dont need all the bolts, but I wanted to be able to adjust it up or down should the need come up. I doubled the lower bolts where the pull is most, and went every other bolt on the upper ones. I bought some unplated heavy square nuts from the local fastener store for welding on the back side of the flat bar.

I then used a circle cutter on the torch and cut circles in the heavy tube for square nut relief and welded the flat to the tubing. Welds are crap, I know. But it turned out square and that is what matters to me.

To start the frame construction. The tubing is rusty as I had it about for another project that is on hold for a bit. Figured I'd just rebuy when I get back to that project. Lots of grinding to remove the rust for welding.

Took lots of time to insure a square fit to the frame and used the hitch mounted to the uprights to make sure it was square too.

Once square,....weld it!!!

Added bracing. I had to build this while the Sterling truck sprayer is in the shop for build too. Gets really cramped, but I made it work. Pouring rain outside. But I had to open the door a bit for venting welding smoke.

Time to bring in the axle. I had a 20,000 pound bare tube axle, 10 hole stud pilot hubs, for some time, (got it on a real sale).

The mounting ribs. Turned out pretty good I think.

Tubes capped and tongue prepped for the other tongue tube.

Rainy and windy today, so I had to set the rear half outside and close off as much weather as I could.

Hitch done except for the jack. Made it so if I ad a larger diameter tire down the line, I can adjust for it.

Waited for a short break between showers and moved it from the shop to the barn. Cant wait to finish it and get some decals made. I'm going to sand blast and paint the truck wheels too to make it complete. It will have at least duals and maybe triples.

Well, thanks for looking. I know it's crude, but then look who made it. d:-)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)