AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ferrell "Clipper" grain cleaner
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

timberturkey
Posted 1/14/2012 21:47 (#2162212)
Subject: Ferrell "Clipper" grain cleaner

South-Central Virginia
Have an old red Clipper that was in a shed when I bought the farm. Looks to be in good shape, just dusty. Are these things worth anything, how much? Thinking of posting it on Craigslist.

Hate to be the one following the post below.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
seedcleaner
Posted 1/14/2012 21:52 (#2162225 - in reply to #2162212)
Subject: Re: Ferrell "Clipper" grain cleaner

Mid-Missouri
lol

yeah they can be worth something, especially when rr soybean comes off patent.

i might be interested, model, pics, etc...?
email in profile
ariail
Posted 1/14/2012 22:34 (#2162315 - in reply to #2162212)

Northeast Ga.
I have been looking for a super x29D clipper cleaner. What number is yours.
hyseed
Posted 1/14/2012 22:55 (#2162358 - in reply to #2162212)
Subject: RE: Monsantos,number 1 problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUE2IiBtKrw
dutch
Posted 1/15/2012 00:13 (#2162487 - in reply to #2162212)

West Texas
How big? What's the capacity? What seed is it set up for? Let me know when you figure out a price.
John 86
Posted 1/15/2012 01:02 (#2162537 - in reply to #2162358)

Seaforth, Ontario

That video brings back memories of my younger days. I spent many hours after school and on weekends pailing small grains into that hopper. The biggest trouble we had with that model was the clean grain conveyor, didn't have a suitable belt tightener other than buckles that had to be adjusted evenly, making sure they wouldn't catch on anything. IIRC, capacity was 20-40 bu/hr. Also, IIRC, the machine in the video has the fan going in the wrong direction; should be blowing upwards.

Later, dad bought a model 29B (think that was the number); 50- 80 bu/hour depending on the grain. It had an auger taking away the clean grain; that machine was equipped with a treater too, messy but effective. At that capacity, it wasn't long before I rigged an auger to feed the hopper. lol  That got me into custom cleaning grain for neighbours.

Illinois John
Posted 1/15/2012 03:20 (#2162579 - in reply to #2162358)

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Dad had one exactly like that, I spent a lot of time in my youth tyeing Bemis 2-bu bags of beans from that identical paddle conveyer.  Dad fed it out of a 100 bu Anthony flared bed wagon with a 4" auger, had to turn it on and off, as it would convey more beans than the cleaner would clean.  After Dad married my stepmother, her Dad owned a cleaning mill, much faster to have him clean them, but I still tied the bags from the larger Clipper cleaner, with some help.

Thanks for bringing back memories, but I wouldn't want to do it again. 

woodshaper799
Posted 1/15/2012 08:09 (#2162650 - in reply to #2162315)

What is a Super x29D? I have a Super29D I am wanting to move. This thing is huge. It is for a commercial operation.
dutch
Posted 1/15/2012 08:36 (#2162692 - in reply to #2162650)

West Texas
Can you send me some pictures of it> My e mail is in my profile and it works.
pmartens07
Posted 1/15/2012 08:57 (#2162726 - in reply to #2162650)

Penn Yan, NY
also might be interested in the 29D, email also in profile
bclayville
Posted 1/15/2012 09:15 (#2162759 - in reply to #2162212)
Subject: RE: Ferrell "Clipper" grain cleaner

MD
I'd be interested in the cleaner as well. Email me if you feel like it, or let me/us know if you post it on Craigslist.
pmartens07
Posted 1/15/2012 09:56 (#2162838 - in reply to #2162759)

Penn Yan, NY
I spent many an hour when I was younger tying bags of oats off a 2B. we had it set up with a gravity box on the 3rd floor, cleaner on the 2nd, and bagger on the 1st. When I was 8 and 9 I couldn't even lift the full bags after tying them. Ended up getting my cousin to lift one end of the bags so we could actually stack them on pallets.

I bought a farmstead on return from Germany last month and once the weather breaks a bit we will be building a good driveway and a cleaning barn
ariail
Posted 1/15/2012 10:01 (#2162845 - in reply to #2162650)

Northeast Ga.
Alan where are you located. I am located in Northeaet Ga.
tedbear
Posted 1/15/2012 10:10 (#2162862 - in reply to #2162579)

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes, this brings back memories for me also. Dad sold seed (Soybeans and Oats) while I was growing up. I spent many hours breathing the dust while cleaning soybeans. Some of this was "Certified Seed" but others was just "bin run". This was part of how I earned money for college tuition.

Dad owned a metal model with a neighbor. When the neighbor retired and sold out, the clipper was sold on his auction. Later my brother bought an older model (Wooden) from a different auction and we used it for several years for our own seed. Dad was out of the seed business at that point in time.

With the advent of RR seed, we quit using it. I tried giving it away but eventually threw it in on the fire when I had the barn burned down to put in a shop/machine shed. Lots of memories but I wouldn't want to go back.
Gerald J.
Posted 1/15/2012 11:23 (#2162989 - in reply to #2162212)

I have one. I think I paid $50 at an auction 15 or so years ago with three or four screens. I was able then to get a manual copy from the original maker. I added a belt guard and left it in the custody of the county conservation board for cleaning wildflower seed. I hope they haven't trashed it. I had a dream of cleaning oats for the horse trade, but never got good at raising oats as a nurse crop for alfalfa.

Gerald J.
pat-michigan
Posted 1/15/2012 12:59 (#2163157 - in reply to #2162212)
Subject: RE: Ferrell "Clipper" grain cleaner

Thumb of Michigan
Might have some value. I think theres a great opportunity for some young growers to earn some $ cleaning cover crop seed. Hard to find a seed cleaner sometimes, we have a couple here who will clean some odd lots. And theres lots of things to clean beside soybeans.
Jon Hagen
Posted 1/15/2012 17:20 (#2163551 - in reply to #2163157)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
A few years ago we set up a cleaning line inside an old 50 ft reefer trailer to clean our own seed. A little clipper 47D is small enough to just fit in through the rear of that trailer, yet do a good number of bushels per day. We have an internal 50 bushel raw grain bin feeding the little clipper, which feeds into a Carter two row disc cleaner for finishing flax, and / or into a Forsberg V50,vacuum gravity table to finish any crop to save the heavy and best seeds.
It took a gaggle of rigid and flex augers to route the grain through all the cleaners in series in that confined space, but it works well.

By running the grain through a pre and post aspirator, an air screen cleaner, Carter disc cleaner, and gravity table, we can produce food grade grain or a premium seed. We used to clean Omega flax seed for a couple of flax health food companies.
We like being able to do that kind of quality, when we want it with no fear of getting seed contaminated whth stuff left in the other guys cleaner.

Edited by Jon Hagen 1/15/2012 17:21
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)