AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bobcat skidloader blowing 100amp fuse, need help!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

LazyJDairy
Posted 1/13/2012 13:54 (#2159785)
Subject: Bobcat skidloader blowing 100amp fuse, need help!

Central East River South Dakota
2008 Bobcat S205. Got a call from the milkers saying it wouldn't start, maybe dead battery.
I did some investigating and found it blew the 100amp main fuse that is between the battery and the rest of the loaders electronincs. I replaced it, it started, I clean a pen, no problems. Milker goes out to clean the next pen, presses the RUN button, all the lights and everything come on like normal, presses START and everything goes off. Blew the fuse again. Go by 2 more fuses (1-100amp and 1-125amp because the only had the one left) I replace the 100 amp blown with a new 100 amp. Press the RUN button, all the normal things come on, press START everything goes off.

What I know is I have a dead short somewhere, I lifted the cab and can't see anything obvious. If I am blowing a 100amp, it must be A. a dead short and B. must be a large wire. I would think if it was only a 12 or 14 guage wire, it would probabbly melt before it would blow a 100amp. Does anyone have any insight to where I should start my search, I have spents a couple hours looking already but there must be someone out there who is more educated than me on this. I have triple checked the starter and altenator leads.

Any help would be aprreciated, thanks.

(IMG-20120112-00078.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG-20120112-00078.jpg (48KB - 598 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gerald J.
Posted 1/13/2012 14:05 (#2159797 - in reply to #2159785)
Subject: Re: Bobcat skidloader blowing 100amp fuse, need help!

Probably inside the starter. Maybe a grounded commutator bar that makes the short current depend where the shaft stopped spinning. Could be a pile of brush dust between the hot brush and the case.

Gerald J.
Minnesotaboy
Posted 1/13/2012 14:05 (#2159800 - in reply to #2159785)
Subject: RE: Bobcat skidloader blowing 100amp fuse, need help!

SW Minnesota
Would disconecting the starter help to make sure it's not in the starter?? If it's not hooked up & it still blows a fuse then you know for sure it's not the starter.other than that I have no idea
Southern Farmer
Posted 1/13/2012 14:07 (#2159802 - in reply to #2159785)

West Texas

Starter shorting our or binding, check bendix

baler brian
Posted 1/13/2012 15:48 (#2159933 - in reply to #2159785)

Check to make sure you did not lose the ground to the starter and may be seeking a path through the electronics
Farmer at heart OG.
Posted 1/13/2012 17:17 (#2160026 - in reply to #2159933)

Wisconsin
Yes check the ground at starter and maybe do as other's have stated and try to isolate the starter from other component's to verify area better. If you have a heat detection gun that might get the area too as I'm sure to blow that breaker your making heat somewhere.
ccjersey
Posted 1/13/2012 17:27 (#2160040 - in reply to #2159785)

Faunsdale, AL
I think it's odd that the starter should have anything to do with a fuse link like that. Every starter I ever saw was connected direct to the battery cable, and the fuse links were installed to protect the charging and accessory circuits only. Has someone reconected something incorrectly when replacing that fuse in the past?

I don't think it's necessarily a huge wire to blow that fuse, but if it isn't I bet it's getting hot! I would start by examining the wiring harness wherever it touches something, clamps, engine block, whatever moves. We have had the harness on our Case uniloader chafe through in a spot or two, just from vibration.

I wonder if it's the starter solenoid or the starter "crank" circuit. You could easily disconnect the "crank" wire from the starter solenoid and then push the button and see if it still blows. If not, then take the starter off and have it fixed. If it still blows, then the trouble is between the start button and the starter.
LazyJDairy
Posted 1/13/2012 18:21 (#2160117 - in reply to #2159785)

Central East River South Dakota
The starter is connected directly to the battery. The 100amp fuse is what connects the battery to the rest of the machines electronics. When the loader is in the RUN position, all the lights and guages turn on and are normal. It is when you push the START button is when the fuse blows. From what I can tell the larger diameter wire goes from the fuse to the front of the machine via inside the chasis along the left. It supposedly (from the Bobcat dealer) goes to the fuse panel and the machines "computer". All the wires are bound together by that woven nylon conduit and it is not in a position where something moves. It is not possible to see the wire since it is up in kinda of a channel iron piece of the chassis. I will try the starter thing, just in case, but it probably is goin to have a date with the bobcat service guys. Thanks for the advice.
Gerald J.
Posted 1/13/2012 18:31 (#2160128 - in reply to #2160117)

An intermittent ground in the start button circuit, wire or starter solenoid would take out the fuse and probably has damaged the start button.

Gerald J.
fish9936
Posted 1/13/2012 19:07 (#2160199 - in reply to #2160128)

Decatur, IN
you can take your voltage meter and check to see if one side of the fuse terminal goes to ground somewhere and just start chasing the wires down
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)