AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

South-western Ontario Omnistar service
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tacotime
Posted 1/10/2012 17:02 (#2153864)
Subject: South-western Ontario Omnistar service

ontario
We farm South of St. Thomas, near the edge of Lake Erie and we have been using the WASS signal for a few years now. We are thinking of upgrading to either Omnistar HP or XP.
Does anyone in my area us the Omnistar signal and if so how is it as compared to WASS? Do you lose the signal more often? less often? does it take a long time for it to reacquire the signal after losing it near tree lines...?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jordanwallace
Posted 1/10/2012 20:43 (#2154287 - in reply to #2153864)
Subject: Re: South-western Ontario Omnistar service

Omnistar is a great solution for growers in your area. Reliability is pretty good. But the start up time is a bit of a pain. Look into rtk with your system with VRS as it will cost you the same /yer as HP with no wait. And depending on the receiver you have the option for glonass as well. Which will help around your trees and in some elevation areas. The next thing is then VRS would be sub inch not 2-4 or 3-5. Even if your not ready for rtk or VRS it's a couple k more then omnistar and the accuracy and reliability is way better
jordanwallace
Posted 1/10/2012 20:44 (#2154293 - in reply to #2153864)

Omnistar is a great solution for growers in your area. Reliability is pretty good. But the start up time is a bit of a pain. Look into rtk with your system with VRS as it will cost you the same /yer as HP with no wait. And depending on the receiver you have the option for glonass as well. Which will help around your trees and in some elevation areas. The next thing is then VRS would be sub inch not 2-4 or 3-5. Even if your not ready for rtk or VRS it's a couple k more then omnistar and the accuracy and reliability is way better
CIH 2577
Posted 1/11/2012 00:34 (#2154887 - in reply to #2153864)
Subject: RE: South-western Ontario Omnistar service

South Western Ontario
We paid the $800 for the xp as opposed to the $1500 for Hp last spring before we started planting. It was are first year with trimble 500 and ez -steer. When out in the field with no trees around it was right on the marker track.
If came in the yard to fill and had some interference with trees, that was the problem. Had the convergence set to 12" so could take up to half an hour to get signal back. Could have set the convergence to 24" and then acquired signal quicker, but was told the accuracy would not be there so did not try it. Probably should have.
Trimble ( Omnistar) did refund $400 because I called and said was not happy with the signal. It took a while to get the refund but it was granted.
We have upgraded to the 750 and are going with RTK and Glonass for this spring. If you don't want to make the jump to RTK you could try Xp for the planting season, or if they would give you a one week trial period before the spring planting you could try out the planter and play around with the convergence settings to see how the accuracy is.
Of course there is the unlock fees from Omni-star to RTK to Glonass.
I do agree with Jordan that in the long run you will be happier with RTK but you may just have to take one step at a time.
Ag-talk has been and is a good source of information. Just ask questions, there is alot of knowledge and experience on this site.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Thanks.
DaveP EOnt
Posted 1/11/2012 18:05 (#2155956 - in reply to #2153864)

Get the G2 signal (glonass + xp) same price as xp but more satellites. I had no issues with trees last year unless you were driving thru a mini forest. Convergence is not that bad either. You will need a glonass ready receiver. I have an AL Integra with GPS 2500.
tacotime
Posted 1/11/2012 20:02 (#2156154 - in reply to #2155956)

ontario
Dave,

When you say that convergence wasn't too bad...how long are we talking? 5 mins? 15 mins?

Then, once the system 'converges' is the advertised 3-5 inch accuracy that they advertise accurate?

Before the system converges can you still steer with just the WASS accuracy? Say if you turn on the headlands and lose convergence, can you steer the first 100-200 feet on WASS or with a marker arm and then use Omnistar once it converges?

I was looking at getting an AL 2500 and an Integra as well. Do you used the OnTrac2 steering system?

Thanks!
mx270a
Posted 1/11/2012 21:25 (#2156412 - in reply to #2156154)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
G2 will converge faster than XP because there are more satellites available with that solution. Even XP converges faster when there are 12 GPS satellites available than it does where there are only 6 GPS satellites available. I'd say G2 converges in about 75% of the time that it takes XP to converge. You'll be most of the way there in 5 minutes, but it may take another 15 to get that last couple inches of accuracy.

Accuracy is the same between XP and G2.

Don't worry about using WAAS. XP or G2 will both be better within a couple minutes than WAAS is.

-Lance
DaveP EOnt
Posted 1/11/2012 22:33 (#2156640 - in reply to #2156154)

I'd concur with Lance that within 5min your already better than WAAS and then by 15 min you should have full convergence and highest accuracy. I had no need for WAAS.

Yes I have the Ontrac2 system. May upgrade to the Ontrac2 plus this spring if it offers any performance advantage.
tacotime
Posted 1/11/2012 22:40 (#2156653 - in reply to #2156640)

ontario
Thanks for the replies.

Lance - I don't know what G2 is....is it another type of correction like Omnistar HP and XP? Or is it just a receiver that can receive a GLONASS signal and has an Omnistar unlock...?
mx270a
Posted 1/11/2012 22:48 (#2156681 - in reply to #2156653)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
G2 is another correction service available from OmniStar. XP and HP are both GPS-only corrections. G2 is a GPS and GLONASS correction with an accuracy level equivalent to XP. It is the same price as XP, but requires a receiver capable of using it. I know the NovAtel Smart-MR10 and Ag Leader 2500 can use it, haven't heard of it being used on any other receivers.

-Lance
jordanwallace
Posted 1/13/2012 09:05 (#2159283 - in reply to #2156681)

You would be able to use the G2 on your Trimble receiver as long as its a glonass receiver. Cfx 750 fmx or 442 or 542 receiver

But again you'd be Betterzt that point using rtk or VRS as you would have already paid for the unlocks to get glonass
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)