AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Upgradng EZ-Steer firmware... rookie question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 1/9/2012 19:46 (#2152347)
Subject: Upgradng EZ-Steer firmware... rookie question

South Georgia
I have an EZ-steer that I bought used a while back with an EZ Guide Plus driving it. Now I want to update it to work with an EZ Guide 500 that I just bought from another AgTalker. Okay, I searched Trimble's website, and this website, and I think I've learned that the ONLY way to update it is from a laptop (not through the 500, like you can update EZ-Boom), and it takes a serial cable. Okay, that's all fine and well, except... My laptop doesn't have a serial port. I got all the USB ports in the world, but no serial port. So, what's the workaround? I see on Amazon that there are USB-to-serial cables. Will one of those work? If so, what gender does the serial end need to be? Yes, I could go look, but that tractor's not close by, and if y'all say that this will work, I'm going to order the cable tonight.

I have EZ Toolbox and the new firmware on the computer, what else do I need to know? Is it reasonably self-explanatory?

Thanks for any tips, I really appreciate it.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page
IH1486
Posted 1/10/2012 00:40 (#2153065 - in reply to #2152347)
Subject: Re: Upgradng EZ-Steer firmware... rookie question

Minnesota
USB to Serial port adapters, for the most part work just fine. Make sure you install the software that comes with the serial port adapter. If you already have EZ Toolbox, and the firmware, the only other issue would be selecting the COM port upon starting the Toolbox. This can be done by trial and error to find which COM port is talking to the EZSteer controller (you'll get a message saying no comms if the wrong one is selected). If I remember correctly COM port selection is under the first tab in the toolbox. Which COM port to select differs with computers and what USB port you have it plugged into. Steps to do the upgrade after that are fairly self explanitory
IH1486
Posted 1/10/2012 00:47 (#2153071 - in reply to #2153065)
Subject: Re: Upgradng EZ-Steer firmware... rookie question

Minnesota
Serial port adapters will come with a 9 pin male end, which will plug into the Female connector on the EZ Steer harness. Since these USB to serial adapters are usually about a 9" long cable, you can get a 4ft. serial cable with Male/Female ends so you don't need to get your laptop on the floor, behind the seat, or where ever the EZ steer controller has been strategically placed, if updating in the tractor cab.
Adrian
Posted 1/10/2012 07:06 (#2153165 - in reply to #2152347)
Subject: RE: Upgradng EZ-Steer firmware... rookie question

South Georgia
Okay, good deal. Got one in my amazon shopping cart now, I'll get it ordered later on today after I get some other stuff added to the order.

Nothing wrong with this one that anybody is aware of?

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp...

Thanks!

Adrian
Ed Boysun
Posted 1/10/2012 10:30 (#2153450 - in reply to #2153165)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Not all USB to Serial adapters are the same. I know for a fact that a Belkin won't talk to the EZ-Steer. I also know for a fact that a Keyspan will. The one you picked may or may not work.
It could very well be the case that if an adapter sees and recognizes the EZ, you'll be home free and if it doesn't, you'll need to try another brand. It may also help to realize that any firmware update is fraught with peril and any little glitch can leave you with a bricked device. This is a poor place to be experimenting with whether a chunk of hardware is indeed 100% compatible.

Adrian
Posted 1/10/2012 10:42 (#2153471 - in reply to #2153450)

South Georgia
Thanks for the warning, Ed. That's exactly why I asked here, and exactly why I haven't ordered yet. (That, and I got sidetracked... LOL)

Deleted the other one, and added a Keyspan adapter to my shopping cart:

http://www.amazon.com/KeySpan-High-Speed-Serial-Adapter/dp/B0000510...

Thanks for the heads-up, I appreciate the help.

Adrian
Ed Boysun
Posted 1/10/2012 10:50 (#2153482 - in reply to #2153471)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

This is the one I use
http://www.amazon.com/Keyspan-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports-Sequence/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=dp_cp_ob_pc_title_0
It looks to be a different model than the one you are looking at. 

Adrian
Posted 1/10/2012 10:52 (#2153487 - in reply to #2153482)

South Georgia
Good deal, thanks Ed. I've got that one in my cart now.

AgTalk is a great place!

Adrian
CR9060
Posted 1/10/2012 11:17 (#2153511 - in reply to #2153165)

Chokio, MN
I use a Keyspan and works fine for any updates and diagnostics that I need it for.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)