AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Skidsteer cold weather starting. What effect does the hydraulic fluid oil viscosity have???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

seedcleaner
Posted 12/11/2011 10:48 (#2096794)
Subject: Skidsteer cold weather starting. What effect does the hydraulic fluid oil viscosity have???

Mid-Missouri
For the 100th time, I am complaining about the poor cold weather starting of our 04 Gehl 7810 machine. It is an 1104 motor with turbo and electric bosch injection, very similiar to the early 24 valve Dodge trucks. I have redone the battery setup, added another positive cable to the starter, replaced the starter with a bigger, longer one. Synthetic engine oil. All of this has helped but it isn't enough. The machine just doesn't crank over very fast and it boils out white smoke until it starts. The slow cranking is a symptom of all these Gehls with the Perkins (very similar to the motor in the 4000 series Spra-Coupes). Many techs have told me of the slow cranking of these machines. If I hook jumpers up to the machine, it cranks over much better but still requires 10 seconds of cranking at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. The glow plugs don't come on until about 10 degrees or less, or when I unplug the coolant sensor to force it on, which I often do. They help make it pop off but not alot. So...

what about the hydraulic fluid? This motor has to crank over a few big pumps. Do they destroke while the engine is cranking? How does that all work? Would synthetic fluid help? Can it be mixed with the JD hy-guard currently used? Any advice appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)