AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

International DT466E Won't Start
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rolling Hills
Posted 12/1/2011 18:37 (#2079186)
Subject: International DT466E Won't Start

Dublin, VA
Have a 2000 International 4900 with a DT466E that will crank but won't start. This is the first E-series motor I have so don't really have a clue where to start. What I do know is that it does not show any codes. I have located a fuel leak but it's just in the return line back to the tank. The priming pump does leak when being used, could this let air in when trying to run? It ran really well the last time, any suggestion??

Thanks,
Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JD fanatic
Posted 12/1/2011 18:49 (#2079208 - in reply to #2079186)
Subject: Re: International DT466E Won't Start

mw
Will it make an attempt to run if you give it a sniff of ether, or does it just turn over "dry"? If it tries to fire with ether then you are most likely sucking air somewhere, put a charger on it to make sure it has enough voltage for the ecm.

If a sniff of ether does nothing then you have another issue most likely electrical/sensor based.
Right or wrong i guess thats where i would start... Maybe somebody else will chime in.

Just a note, if the truck has glow plugs, make sure its already turning over before you spray any ether, or unhook your glowplug relay.
wishbone7803
Posted 12/1/2011 19:20 (#2079273 - in reply to #2079186)

Almond Wisconsin
The 466 is or was my favorite engine. I will never own another 466E. Voltage is likely a problem ecm needs full power or motor will crank and crank but will not fire. Also could be a bunch of other things. High pressure oil pump, ours ate 2, wiring harness into valve cover, o-ring in transfer pump primer, our spent 2 days in shop and they trew parts at it to tune of 2 grand till they found it. Have a dozen mech 466's some with 500,000 miles of local delivery miles and all them together didn't cost me as much as that 2001 did in 250,000. GOOD LUCK!
Offroadnt
Posted 12/2/2011 15:03 (#2080775 - in reply to #2079186)

Southern Alberta Canada
Had that happen to ours last week, hauled it into the shop, plugged it in, fooled around without a bit (checked fuel supply, power, a few other odds and ends), had lunch and researched it a bit, went back out watched engine oil pressure while starting it, when the gauge reached 50psi it started, been good since. I have no idea what the problem was. It was parked with the left front corner about a foot higher than the back right, it was plugged in outside, it turned over good but only fired a few times and that was it. Almost like gelled fuel but it had been running winter fuel for a month (it was about -20C that day).
croptecsolutions
Posted 12/2/2011 16:09 (#2080863 - in reply to #2079186)

ok
Check fuses in the battery box.
Rolling Hills
Posted 12/3/2011 18:34 (#2082785 - in reply to #2079186)

Dublin, VA
Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't gotten to work on it much lately, but I'll look into some of this stuff.

Scott
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)