AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How would you handle dogs chasing your cattle?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

play in the dirt
Posted 10/31/2011 21:50 (#2028009)
Subject: How would you handle dogs chasing your cattle?

south central IOWA
I rolled into Dad's this morning with him greeting me with a "Hey, I had to shoot in the direction of a couple of dogs chasing your cows around this morning to scare them off."

I said "Oh that's nice. You mean the dog's that belong to the new neighbor that her and her family own more ground than I could handle farming and am just getting on friendly side of things with them and just got the Ok a couple of weeks ago to do some ground on shares next year with them?"

I've already introduced myself to them this past winter with a "Hi, welcome to the neighborhood, by the way, your dogs............." Not exactly the way I wanted to introduce myself, but....

Just a few weeks ago when I was talking to the guy about the land deal, we get to talking about the dogs. The guy admitted he caught them chasing my cows before and said he beat the snot out of one for doing it. He isn't being dumb about the situation and understands the dogs need to be controlled. He said they had talked about "underground fence" for them. But clearly it hasn't happened.

So on one hand I do not want to ruin our fragile new relationship with a "Sorry, I had to shoot your dogs" but on the other I want it to stop.

The 3 S's come to mind but I would rather another neighbor would handle that for me. What would you do? Keep knocking on the door with a "Sorry to bother you but your dogs are at it again."? How many times will that fly before they think "This neighbor is a grawlix!!"?

Edited by play in the dirt 10/31/2011 21:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)