AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone ever hear of anyone smoking corn silks?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

"A"
Posted 8/23/2011 22:56 (#1927364)
Subject: Anyone ever hear of anyone smoking corn silks?

West Central Illinois
I remember hearing a story from my grandpa years ago about when they use to smoke corn silks. He passed away about 10 years ago and was 80 at the time. I think it was when tobacco was not availible or rationed maybe. I'm personally not interested in doing so, just a memory that I thought I would share.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Iowadad
Posted 8/23/2011 23:17 (#1927441 - in reply to #1927364)
Subject: RE: Anyone ever hear of anyone smoking corn silks?

when I was a kid (early 70's) I remember some guy that opened fields for us would roll his own cigarettes using corn silk!!

Topshot
Posted 8/24/2011 03:27 (#1927647 - in reply to #1927364)
Subject: Re: Anyone ever hear of anyone smoking corn silks?

Near Richmond, IN
Yes, Dad talked about it and I think we tried it a few times.
APfarmer
Posted 8/24/2011 06:22 (#1927677 - in reply to #1927364)

Pinnebog, Michigan
Yup, both aunt and uncle use to smoke it in a pipe and now in this new age era corn silk is a health remedy for kidney stones and urinary tract health and they vaporize it... Maybe my anut & uncle back in late 50'/early 60's knew this already and that's why they smoked it...lol
Illinois Steve
Posted 8/24/2011 08:04 (#1927751 - in reply to #1927364)

North Central Illinois
Yeah, dad said they used to do it when they were kids. Said they burned awful hot!! Inhaling was a mistake!
iseedit
Posted 8/24/2011 08:25 (#1927792 - in reply to #1927364)

central - east central Minnesota -

"A" - 8/23/2011 21:56 I remember hearing a story from my grandpa years ago about when they use to smoke corn silks. He passed away about 10 years ago and was 80 at the time. I think it was when tobacco was not availible or rationed maybe. I'm personally not interested in doing so, just a memory that I thought I would share.

Just think - how much longer your grandpa could have lived, if he never smoked that stuff . . . . .

Well, you know everyone was thinking it . . . .   lol      ( ^ ;   

Just to ensure, this was an attempt at humor - no disrespect toward your late grandpa -

Edited by iseedit 8/24/2011 08:27
"A"
Posted 8/24/2011 08:34 (#1927815 - in reply to #1927792)

West Central Illinois
I'm glad others had heard of it and everyone didn't think I was sort of hippie. I tried just burning some with a lighter and the smoke was pretty bad. Thanks for the input.
okpanhandle
Posted 8/24/2011 09:37 (#1927937 - in reply to #1927364)

Guymon, OK
My brother and I were helping the neighbor and his brother (both in their early 70s, we'll call them G and J) work on pivots a couple years ago. We were sitting in the house at headquarters one morning, shooting the breeze and waiting for it warm up a bit, when the topic came up of how things used to be in the old days. With regard to the culture of smoking that was prevalent years ago, the conversation went exactly like this:

G: We'd smoke anything! Coffee...
J: Yep.
G: Driftwood...
J: Yep.
G: Never smoked pot though!
J: Nope!

Still cracks me up.
6thGeneration
Posted 8/24/2011 11:33 (#1928087 - in reply to #1927364)

Wisconsin
I remember my high school ag teacher making a reference to smoking corn _____. I never quite caught it exact, whether he was talking corn silk or corn stalks. Then again, back then I was preoccupied with th senior class sloot who was in my ag class at the time.
3w farms
Posted 8/24/2011 11:50 (#1928103 - in reply to #1928087)

S.E. Iowa
I remember in the sixties someone came up with smoking banana peels. Everyone on TV started talking about it even Johnny Carson made comments about it. Government got so paranoid that people were getting high smoking banana peels they spent millions on reseach. Whole thing was a joke but banana sales did increase.
APfarmer
Posted 8/24/2011 11:50 (#1928104 - in reply to #1927364)

Pinnebog, Michigan
Tried smoking dried banana peels once and all I got was a banging headache...
3pete
Posted 8/24/2011 12:47 (#1928152 - in reply to #1927647)

WCIN
Grandpa showed my brother and I how to cut a corn cob into pieces, hollow it out, drill a hole with our pocket knives. Then he took a piece of stalk and pushed a piece of baling wire through it to make it hollow. Then when put together you had a corn cob pipe. Corn silks were then stuffed in and you know the rest. I never could pick up the smoking habit but brother did. This was late 50's early 60's.
billybob
Posted 8/24/2011 18:59 (#1928589 - in reply to #1927364)
Subject: My Dad, who was born in 1921, said he tried it as a youth.

Poor. Don't think he had any tobacco. Smoked out back the barn.

Illinois John
Posted 8/24/2011 19:46 (#1928676 - in reply to #1927364)

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

"A" - 8/23/2011 21:56 I remember hearing a story from my grandpa years ago about when they use to smoke corn silks. He passed away about 10 years ago and was 80 at the time. I think it was when tobacco was not availible or rationed maybe. I'm personally not interested in doing so, just a memory that I thought I would share.

I tried silks after making a corn cob pipe around 8 years old.  It does smoke hot, didn't care much for it.

Uncle was from Mississippi, told the story of he and his uncle in the woods felling timber.  Uncle's Uncle sat on a stump when taking a break, and pulled out a bag of Bull Durham.  He told Uncle, "I'll be glad when times get a little better and I can go back to Prince Albert!"

Prince Albert was seven cents a can, Bull Durham was a nickle a bag.  Hard to believe that two cents could make such a difference if Prince Albert was the preferred brand.

This might explain why old timers smoked corn silks, as money was so scarce. 

My FIL remarked his utility bills were ten cents a week, the price of a can of kerosine for the lights.  He said it was easier to go through a bad crop year, as living expenses were not as high. FIL felt sorry for our future, as fixed expenses might well be the ruin of our existance.

Some wise thinking from the past, right?  It might hit home sooner than some of us would like.  Anybody have any coal oil lights left?

Knuckles
Posted 8/24/2011 21:08 (#1928838 - in reply to #1927751)

North Central IA
Grew up on them. My best friend and I enjoy a good smoke. After chores.
John e.c.MI
Posted 8/24/2011 21:21 (#1928863 - in reply to #1927364)

Croswell, Michigan
I remember my grandpa talking about it. I guess one of his brothers almost caught a barn on fire smoking silks. If I remember right, grandpa said his brother got quite a whippin' over that deal.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)