AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Genetic diversity in Kochia
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 8/11/2011 18:17 (#1907869)
Subject: Genetic diversity in Kochia

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

I had some prevented plant that I sprayed with 24 oz. of Glyphos, 8 oz. of E99 (modern replacement for the old Butyl Ester 24-D), a splash of Hel-Fire and 3 GPA of water.
Here is a sequence of pics that illustrate what we deal with on Kochia. I'll post thumbnails so the guys with slow I-net don't get hung up too badly. If you click a thumbnail, a larger pic will open if you want to see further detail.
First pic is the results of the burn down on most kochia, some milkweed, some lambsquarters, & some field pennycress.
Burn down

This pic illustrates why it is called tumbleweed. You can see the track the blowing weed left as it crossed the field.
Seed track

Another shot of a seed track. Notice the occasional green that seems to be from seeds the same plant left.
Seed Track

Close up of a track showing intermingled & very much alive kochia plants.
Close up

Here's another illustration of why it is such a troublesome weed. It has multiple growing points so if the systemic doesn't kill it, it will grow back. I believe the E99 burned off most of the growth but it was resistant to glyphosate so once it shook off the affects of the phenoxy, it came back.
Resistant

Field was sprayed about 6 weeks ago when it was very wet and temps reached about 90°F later in the day. I really don't want these few escapes going to seed or cross-pollinating so they're going to get a shot of FE26 (the miracle weed killer) soon.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ironwood
Posted 8/11/2011 18:39 (#1907891 - in reply to #1907869)
Subject: RE: Genetic diversity in Kochia

southern mn
fe26 ha good one. Iron symbol Fe atomic number 26
clyde
Posted 8/11/2011 20:56 (#1908058 - in reply to #1907869)

Kochia may tumble but tumbleweed is Russian thistle.
LHaag
Posted 8/12/2011 01:37 (#1908542 - in reply to #1907869)

Colby, Kansas
This may be a bit of an exaggeration, but maybe not and I'm hope I'm wrong, but I think resistant kochia has the potential to set back no-till dryland farming 20 years. I think we'll see more sweeps going back into the ground if we can't figure out a better way. Some guys I work with in SW KS talk about the possibility on irrigated of leaving strip-till for a while to go back to conventional tillage due to kochia problems in the RR corn and cotton. Either of these scenarios are not good for water conservation/utilization but the weed issue cannot be ignored.

Lucas
Kelly
Posted 8/12/2011 08:05 (#1908686 - in reply to #1907869)

NC KS
I can't answer your genetic diversity question but you are running light on your rates of herbicide. I would have started with at least a quart of Roundup. 24D ceased to be effective on kochia years ago and 8 ounces is way too small of a rate. If I was stuck on 24D, I would have used at least 12 and maybe 16 ounces of a 6# product.
Dicamba is a better choice although some areas have trouble with dicamba resistance.

Seems like low rates can't take out anything but extremely sensitive weeds any more in this area.
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/12/2011 09:11 (#1908777 - in reply to #1908542)

I don't think kochia is that hard to get rid of if you keep after it for a couple years. Seed doesn't remain viable for much over two years so if a guy is vigilant with tillage it's no big deal. It is a neighborhood deal though because of how effective the wind is at moving seeds. What you're seeing in this particular field is the result of being bordered on both the west and north sides by a farmer who grows peas & canola and doesn't use tillage for weed control. He has a very nice crop of canola this year but it is really starting to look ugly with the kochia escapes poking their heads up.
I used Trump Card for my wheat tank mix this year and the touch of Starane in the product is very effective on kochia but I am only going to use it in crop and will sure never consider it for chem fallow. It's about the only thing we have left because Dicamba and the SUs no longer do much.

Ed Boysun
Posted 8/12/2011 09:21 (#1908793 - in reply to #1908686)

24-D doesn't work very well on kochia here anymore. The only reason I used chem fallow this year was because of extreme wet for so long making it impossible to till earlier or in this case, plant. All I really intended to do with the spray was to set the weeds back until it was dry enough for the Flexi-Coil. Agronomist did recommend a splash of Dicamba to touch up on the kochia but I told him I'd use FE26 for that and he figured that would work too. I'm actually well pleased with how well this tank mix worked on other fields. One of the last fields I sprayed had kochia nearing 4 feet high, along with a mix of other weeds. After 4 weeks, every one of the weeds on that patch looked like they were put in the oven and baked for a couple hours on 450. Very impressive. The main reason for the touch of E99 is that I'm starting to see a few Russian Thistle patches. Not much works on thistle anymore either, but E99 does.

roadrunner
Posted 8/13/2011 23:57 (#1911067 - in reply to #1908793)
Subject: Re: Genetic diversity in Kochia

What kind of rate Dicamba is not working for you guys??? Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)