AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cummins 378 V6
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmerrob
Posted 7/19/2011 21:04 (#1870530)
Subject: Cummins 378 V6

I seen a classified ad that has a Terragator with the Cummins 378 V6 in it. What can anyone tell me about the V6 diesel? I haven't seen or known anyone that has had one. Any info. about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hwdcne
Posted 7/19/2011 22:43 (#1870760 - in reply to #1870530)
Subject: Re: Cummins 378 V6

Soutwest Ks.
I thought a lot of those units had the 555 Cummins. They weren't a terrible motor but nothing to brag about. Any V configuration of a Cummins that I've ever been aware of has had a reputation of being a shorter lived motor then the straight 6. I imagine the same would hold true for that motor if in fact it is that size.
plowboy
Posted 7/19/2011 23:03 (#1870818 - in reply to #1870530)
Subject: RE: Cummins 378 V6

Brazilton KS

That's old, uncommon, and probably low on power.   Isn't that what the 145 Versatile had?

dnkag
Posted 7/19/2011 23:06 (#1870828 - in reply to #1870818)

Lantry, SD
118 versatile, and my michigan loader
WTW
Posted 7/19/2011 23:08 (#1870837 - in reply to #1870530)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
Fairly old Cummins engine used in various places with at best a fair reputation. I would think it would be difficult to get parts at this point in time. Same bore as a 555 Cummins with a shorter stroke and two less cylinders. Neighbour had a 145 Versatile with a V-8 version (470 cubic inch) which consumed a fair amount of oil but I do not think it ever blew up. Info is from google search.

V6-155
Bore x stroke (in.): 4-5/8 x 3-3/4
Displacement: 378 cu. in. (6194 cc)
HP: 155 @ 3300 rpm
nd mike
Posted 7/19/2011 23:28 (#1870873 - in reply to #1870837)

wahpeton, nd

Had one in a 300 Versatile. Not a lot of power. Tractor was a lemon, didn't keep tractor long enough to have any trouble with engine. 

Applicator
Posted 7/20/2011 08:18 (#1871188 - in reply to #1870530)

The 378 is a 504 V8 with 2 fewer cylinders. It is a 90 degree V6, so it fires uneven. The engine shakes bad at idle. The main problem is that parts are really expensive or unavailable. Cummins sold all their stock to a third party and buys them back to sell to you if you need them. They call this their obsolete parts warehouse.
The only Ag Chem product that I am aware of that used this engine is the articulated 1004 Ag Gator. We still have one with row tires and a spinner box. It does about 2000 acres per year.
gavogel
Posted 7/20/2011 09:28 (#1871287 - in reply to #1871188)

Marion,ks
What Applicator says is true. They are bad about vibration. We have one on an irrigation motor and it shakes all of the gauges to pieces. Not bad on fuel but parts are hard to find if nonavailable. It has the PT injector pump so the parts on that aren't bad but everything else are hard to find. Look for a different motor.
farmerrob
Posted 7/20/2011 16:21 (#1871740 - in reply to #1871287)

Is there any engine that could be a direct replacement for it? it is in a 1004 and I think I read somewhere that they also came with a 504 v8, would that be better? What about putting a 12 valve 5.9 in there? Any other engine that might work with minimal effort? Thanks guys for the info. I really appreciate it!
Applicator
Posted 7/21/2011 10:59 (#1872884 - in reply to #1870530)

The 1004 has a problem with the transfer case. There is no air circulation around it and on the road, it will heat up and cook the seals. Look for oil leaks. The case is expensive, unusual and probably no longer available. I got a brand new one from Ag Chem at least 10 years ago. They had to order it and I remember the Ag Chem purchasing agent saying "o my, the vender from hell". They must have had some bad experiences with whoever made it. I put an oil cooler with an electric pump on ours. The same pump is used to cool stock car differentials. Synthetic gear oil and high temp viton seals are a must have with this transfer case. I even ordered a special air shift cylinder (from a hydraulic store) with viton seals. The original one would cook the seals, then leak air into the case and force oil out. It was a real bad pain in the rear.
It is a good row crop machine. It can easily be driven in rows and the articulating steering makes getting into rows easy. The steering valve is a load reaction type and it will follow rows with little input from the operator. This down side of this type of steering valve is that if you drive through a ditch at an angle and the steering wheel will kick back hard enough to break your arm if you do not let go. One time is enough to teach you to do that at a crawl.
It is hard to drive straight with the flotation tires and really does not have enough horsepower to work in soft ground. It is not a good open ground machine.
thisismary
Posted 4/17/2012 13:06 (#2340844 - in reply to #1870530)
Subject: RE: Cummins 378 V6

farmerrob - 7/19/2011 21:04

I seen a classified ad that has a Terragator with the Cummins 378 V6 in it. What can anyone tell me about the V6 diesel? I haven't seen or known anyone that has had one. Any info. about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance!

Two Ag-Gator 2004 units

I know that this thread is a year old - but a web search on cummins 378 v6 turned up this thread first, therefore the information that I am providing may help someone in the future. (Sorry farmerrob!)

The Cummins 378 V6 is out of production. I have found none in scrap yards in useful condition. Parts are next to impossible to find. I did find an aftermarket water pump for this engine from a company called Universal Goods they are based in Texas.

-- All that said -- This information is going to be more regarding the engine IN the Ag-Gator 2004, because questions on the engine come up when a 2004 is for sale, which happens once or twice a year. The late '70's - early '80's Ag-Chem 2004, with the 10 speed manual and the 378 is a reliable machine for manure spreading or injection, IF you understand:

1. that the engine and transmission are both going to have to be replaced if the engine fails. There is no direct replacement for the engine and there is no production engine that will fit in front of or hook up to the tranny. (We have looked, and looked, and looked). Conversely, if you want an automatic transmission, there is none that will match up to or fit behind the engine in this unit.

2. The engine manifolds are unusual and unavailable. Repair or machine new ones are the options.

2. The transmission Air shift cylinder from (high to low) will eventually fail, it is out of production, has no equal, and the manufacturer had 3 left last year, I bought 2 of them.

3. The 2004 with the 378 and manual 10 speed is slow. Application with injectors 3 - 6 mph in heavy clay, on the road loaded 5 - 8 mph absolute max or the transfer case heats up, 12- 15 mph empty for the same reason. You CAN get this machine to rock along at 22 mph empty, but the transfer case is no longer available, gears are, but pulling the transfer case is no picnic, so you decide. The 378 is not a particularly powerful engine, but the 2004 is geared so low that you can move the machine on a hard flat surface by turning the drive shaft with one hand. The engine does a fine job powering the 2004, but if you have a need for speed this machine is not for you.

4. It is apparently some sort of a secret, but the wheel hubs need grease. I have never seen a used machine where the owner realized that you have to crawl under the machine and up reach into the wheels to get at the grease zercs on top of the axles. Something to watch for.

More perhaps than you wanted to know, but I have 2 Ag-Gator 2004 units, one a 1979 with a 3000 gal tank, and one 1982 with a hydraulic ram dry spreader, I have almost 5000 hours in the one with the tank, 1000 hours in the dry floater. They do the job.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)