AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

side chutes or drive over hopper
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hobbie00
Posted 7/12/2011 08:26 (#1859482)
Subject: side chutes or drive over hopper

IL
I recently bought a single axle semi with a Jet 28' tandem axle hopper. I have a 10x72 Mayrath swing away auger with a standard hopper.

I also have 2 of the brent 544 wagons we haul in with. These have the shields to deflect the grain to unload underneath.

My question is what would you recomend to be able to unload in this set up. I tried it with the tailer empty yesterday and the rubber flaps drag alot.

opiton 1 Put side chutes on trailer. I have read on here that some like the chutes but appears most don't. How much grain is left in hopper if I would go this way. This would allow me to dump into bins at other sites.

option 2 buy a drive over pit and just dump into my swing away hopper. This wouild allow me to move and dump in bins at other sites.

option 3 build some type of drive over pit on top of the ground. My thoughts are pour 2 cement structures that I could just drop the swing away hopper in and put a grate in to drive over. not sure how accurate I would have to be setting auger each year with this setup. This would be the only place I could dump my semi if I went this way.

I want to make this hired man proof. I have a hopper walker and think I could make a pile of gravel where my tires would sit to gain ground clearance. However you would have to move the semi as the auger came forward and I am afraid the hopper might get ran over.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by hobbie00 7/12/2011 08:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wheaties
Posted 7/12/2011 08:32 (#1859493 - in reply to #1859482)
Subject: Re: side chutes or drive over hopper

take loader and dig some dirt out for the hopper. A pile of dirt will not let you swing your hopper very easily. Do not make the hole any deeper than needed as you have to drag the hopper out of there too. Most of these new trailers handled the older swingaways that were taller than the "more modern" ones.
snowden
Posted 7/12/2011 08:41 (#1859507 - in reply to #1859493)

michigan
a freind of mine bought a drive over setup last fall worked pretty slick easy to setup and move he says he wishes he would have bought one years ago. i have seen used ones around pretty reasonable i guess it depends on how much you have to do if you are going to be dumping several loads a day and using it alot i would go with the driveover setup it makes it alot easier. good luck
Dingleberry
Posted 7/12/2011 08:52 (#1859533 - in reply to #1859482)

I'll second the drive-over. Tried the side chutes we had on one of our original trailers, and it just left way too much grain in the hoppers for our tastes. We ended up going with one of these to save a few bucks

http://www.sudenga.com/Truck_Hopper.html

A drive over would be simpler.

timis
Posted 7/12/2011 09:15 (#1859561 - in reply to #1859533)
Subject: legality of side chute?

Iowa
got a ? along the same lines - our trailer has a beam going right across the middle of the door that really slows down the grain flow ( instead of dumping out of the whole 2ft length it probably only drops 1 ft) I mentioned that during our inspection that I'd like to put a couple doors on like they had on the flarebox wagons - in tha cone area- so when at the ethanol plant theyre not waiting for me. Inspection guy said it wasnt legal - this is in Iowa - farm plates. I dont really want to torch up that beam but they can dump 2 900 bu trailers in the time it takes me to drop 600 ( of course theyre dumping 2 slides at 1 time vs my 1)

Edited by timis 7/12/2011 09:17
Big Ben
Posted 7/12/2011 10:19 (#1859618 - in reply to #1859561)
Subject: RE: legality of side chute?

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
I would have asked the inspector to elaborate on what makes side chutes illegal. The only thing I can think of is that you're not supposed to mess with anything structural on the trailer, but that really does not apply to a hopper.

Kooiker
Posted 7/12/2011 11:10 (#1859685 - in reply to #1859561)
Subject: I call BS.

There is an awful lot of Jet trailers built in Iowa that get inspected in Iowa and used on Iowa roads that have side chutes on them.

Ours included.

farmboy99
Posted 7/12/2011 09:20 (#1859571 - in reply to #1859482)
Subject: RE: side chutes or drive over hopper

SE South Dakota
Previous discussuion......Here are two that I use on augers that handle wet corn going into wet corn holding bins.

Jim J

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=69585&posts=11... over hopper&highlightmode=1#M492738

Edited by farmboy99 7/12/2011 09:23
JD fanatic
Posted 7/12/2011 10:59 (#1859673 - in reply to #1859571)

mw
How do you keep them from filling with water/ice in the fall. Some falls are less ideal (wet) than others, I am probably wrong but how would a cover keep water from coming in the sides?
farmboy99
Posted 7/12/2011 18:44 (#1860094 - in reply to #1859673)

SE South Dakota
Well I have field tile hooked directly to the smaller one and the other has a dirt bottom with a tile 4' off to the side. Used them several falls with no real trouble with water. I get no ground water only what might rain in. If a little water gets in there realize that the corn is going thru a dryer so it is not much of a problem. Just don't leave a hopper bottom trailer (with the tarp open!!) parked over the dump pit if there is rain in the forecast!

As far as water getting in the sides you would want to build these a bit higher that the surrounding landscape to channel water away, not towards it.

Jim J
Kooiker
Posted 7/12/2011 11:17 (#1859692 - in reply to #1859482)

I would either go with a drive over, build a cement drive over to use your current auger in, or buy a different auger with a low profile hopper.

If you can get set up to always dump at the same bin and then transfer corn I'd probably lean towards cement.   If you have to dump into multiple bins I'd either go with the drive over or a different auger.

We've got a 22' Jet with a side chute.    I try not to use the side chute much and most of the time I wish it wasn't there.

With dry corn the side chute will leave ~30 bu in the trailer.  With wet corn like we had in 2009  (30%+) it will leave ~130 bu in the trailer.

Lookingglass
Posted 7/12/2011 12:57 (#1859777 - in reply to #1859482)

Southwest Illinois
Side chutes are a pain. In tough corn you can have a lot of bushels left in the trailer.

A couple easy options would be to buy a low profile hopper. Most companies sell them to retrofit a standard height hopper. We priced it a few years ago on a Hutchinson and it was about $1500 to switch over. We wound up trading for a new auger with the low profile hopper. You can alos buy a roll around low profile hopper to slide under your trailer. The downfall is the require electric or hydraulics and they can be heavy to move, especially the elctric ones. we have a Hutchinson and Sudenga drive over pits. The Hutch has a fair bit more capacity but the Sudenga does come standard with a side dump option that costs extra on the Hutch. The Hutch is built a bit heavier but we have had no problems with the Sudega other than a weld that failed on a ramp. The drive over pits are very nice and if you have a forklift or loader handy they are very simple to move. We had a fixed shallow homade pit with an auger in it and it always had water trouble and you could never clean it up well and it only could service one bin.
deereman05
Posted 7/12/2011 13:07 (#1859789 - in reply to #1859482)

Your moms house
If you could reach multiple bins from the same spot how bout a 25 bushel pit. Then just pull up and dump in the pit. I don't know how it would compare to a drive over but sounds simpler than pouring ramps. For us though if we ever go to having multiple semis we will go the drive over route so we can fill at multiple farm places.
mennoboy
Posted 7/12/2011 14:13 (#1859860 - in reply to #1859482)

Rivers, MB
Spend the money and get a low profile hopper for your auger and then use the hopper walker to move swing away under while pulling up. If you trust your driver to be careful to drive the truck and run an auger, he can operate the auger under the hopper.

We have 2 Farm King 13" augers w/ electric driven hopper movers and they work well under 28' hopper bottom trailers.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)