AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Melroe 220 Spra-Coupe Issue...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 4/6/2011 22:12 (#1712111)
Subject: Melroe 220 Spra-Coupe Issue...

KY
Hey everyone.. got a dirt cheap deal on a 220 Spra Coupe last month. Knew the owner, he had overheated it the season before and warped the head. Local machine shop put a new VW head on it, everything turns over easily, but is not firing. Thought the electronic ignition box had shot, replaced the box, coil was sparking imtermittently and very very weakly when it would. According to the dealer service manual, it was either the box still, or the electronic sender in the distributor. Bought a distributor rebuild kit, and put in a new coil, nothing. Several days worth of tracing wires and signal, replacing parts, and it tried twice in all that time to spark and cough, but didn't start, and hasn't attempted to spark since. To make a long story short, I know there were Coupes that were not electronic ignition but used a traditional points-type distributor, and I can think of no reason I can't do away with the electronic ignition and use a standard distributor and coil. So, that being said, does anyone have a coupe that has the 1.8 VW motor that uses a traditional point-type distributor, and if so, do you have a part number for that or at least the make and model of your coupe so I can order one from Agco? Need help in the worst way. Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DFD-1977
Posted 4/6/2011 22:19 (#1712133 - in reply to #1712111)
Subject: Re: Melroe 220 Spra-Coupe Issue...

W. Tennessee
I had the same thing happen to mine last year. It ended up being a bare spot on the timing belt. I've been told its common every couple of years.
ihmanky
Posted 4/6/2011 22:30 (#1712168 - in reply to #1712133)

KY
Was afraid of that, replaced all belts and re-timed according to the manual. Timing was a little off, but not bad. Should spark regardless of the timing, as long as the thing is turning over. Either way, it's timed now, just not firing.
65SuperSport
Posted 4/6/2011 22:49 (#1712232 - in reply to #1712111)

Goggle www.agcopartsbook.com. Trying to finish converting a 220 over to hydraulic boom,s from a 230 parts machine. It has been an experience. Valves stuck, etc. Now it wont turn over ,putting on a new starter. I am not sure if ours is electronic or not. I understand your pain.!!!!!!!!
ellisce
Posted 4/7/2011 05:11 (#1712466 - in reply to #1712168)

There's a fuse and a relay under the dash that may be causing this. Do you have a wiring diagram? When you turn the key you should hear a relay below the steering wheel.
bn4440
Posted 4/7/2011 09:11 (#1712668 - in reply to #1712111)

ne north dakota
I have had several that i worked on that the ignition box didn't have a good ground. I have taken a wire and run from mount on box to battery ground to check and them emery cloth the box mount or run wire from box mount to screw with ground wires under it in battery box. Make sure that where the wires ground to battery box are shined up as that is where the factory ground for the box is.
ihmanky
Posted 4/7/2011 14:27 (#1712974 - in reply to #1712668)

KY
To all who have replied so far: Thanks so much for all your input. The relay under the dash clicks when the key is turned. The fuses check good. I do have the factory wiring diagrams, I paid a nice chunk of change for a dealer service manual, the ones they use in the shop. I have it all, testing procedures and all. They had a luxury the rest of us do not have, as there are sections in the procedure that tell to pull a part of the shelf and test it that way. I've spent $1,500 in "testing" this week! On that note, I read somewhere that if I need wires for this thing, instead of buying from Agco (which I have everything so far), that I just run to the local parts place and get plug wires for an 85' VW Jetta. I understand this is an industrial engine in the coupe, but is the electronic side of it a run-of-the-mill job? I bought the electronic ignition box from Agco last week, $400 even. Oreilly has the box for the jetta 1.8 l, looks IDENTICAL, for $80. I paid $500 to Agco for a distributor REBUILD kit, Oreilly has new dsitributor for $180. I was thinking if it will work, I will buy it all, brand new coil, distributor and ignition box and go from there. I can buy it all for less than one part from Agco. I bought a new coil, new ignition box and distributor rebuild kit, but nothing saying the distributor is 100%, and the box was thought to be the original problem... nothing saying I didn't burn that up again, it's extremely sensitive.
57ringo
Posted 4/7/2011 21:56 (#1713477 - in reply to #1712974)

Emporia, ks
There is a little brown wire in the harness that is just behind the radiator. It is the ignition ground wire that bolts to the metal between the radiator and the battery. You might want to take that and run it to the negative post on the battery and bypass where it bolts on the metal. That would be my first place to look.
359PETE
Posted 4/8/2011 00:40 (#1713878 - in reply to #1713477)

South Central KY.

most electrical problems are ground problems always make sure u have a good ground by the way, starters for a 1.8 are usually under a vw fox number, when trying to find parts for these do not rule out any model.

ihmanky
Posted 4/8/2011 04:09 (#1713942 - in reply to #1713878)

KY
359 - I am learning that on not ruling things out... I've heard that almost anything is interchangeable with an 85/86 VW Jetta car 1.8L engine. I priced the Distributor, Ignition Control Box & electronic coil, and ALL that can be had together for less than what I paid AGCO for just ONE of those parts. Gonna try the new distributor I think and also grounding the brown wire to the negative batt. terminal.

Does anyone have a good reference for timing this thing? By the book, did it spot on, but not having a lot of good feeling about it... Got the notches on the cam and crank set, then learned the auxiliary pulley had to be timed too, so did that as well... Who knows.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)