AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All liquid fertilizer program for CORN
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jon S
Posted 3/23/2011 06:29 (#1684902 - in reply to #1683328)
Subject: Re: All liquid fertilizer program for CORN

Yes, you are correct in that if one is going to use an in-furrow treatment it's best to limit the salt index. I was taking that part for granted.

Once upon a time I thought that in furrow starter applications in corn had some merit, and I promoted that practice to my clients back in the early 00's. I used regular ag grades (UAN, poly and kcl) and limited the salt index. I never saw germination issues at the rates we were using on our soils (no sand here). I also had ortho products, slow release N, and all the clear K's at my disposal, but we never promoted the use of those fertilizers in the ag markets...just the T&O markets.

I then began to play around with banded nitrogen and sulfur and decided or I guess concluded that I could get just as much benefit from using that and at a lower cost per unit of plant food basis. I will say that most of the soils that I was dealing with had adequate phosphate levels and I really am not all that convinced that the phosphate portion of starter is actually doing much. Rather, it’s the nitrogen and the potash that’s providing the best benefit to the plant. As I have said before, there is nothing wrong with the plant food in the premium starters. It's just a little too pricey for my budget.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)