AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Additional liquid fertilizer on planter, yetter, totally tubular others
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mudracer
Posted 2/28/2011 12:53 (#1641652)
Subject: Additional liquid fertilizer on planter, yetter, totally tubular others

south east north Dakota
What is the general concensus of these two products, yetter 2968 inbetween closing wheel setup and the tt-300 behind the closing wheel setup. Looking for 30 gallons between 28%, 10-34, kts and micros.

Edited by mudracer 2/28/2011 13:11

(tt300new3.jpg)

(2968fertopener.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tt300new3.jpg (10KB - 473 downloads)
Attachments 2968fertopener.jpg (19KB - 469 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
4ethanol
Posted 2/28/2011 13:00 (#1641662 - in reply to #1641652)
Subject: Re: Additional fertilizer on planter, yetter, totally tubular others

Hoxie, KS, Northwest Kansas
I just put the 2968's on my planter this yr. many neighbors run them on stack folds and get along great with them. just dont run a injector style nozzle on them just dribble fert out the tube. the fert was splashing back up all over the planter with nozzles. i personally want my fertilizer in the ground but we are highly subject to volitolization losses with our heat.
mudracer
Posted 2/28/2011 13:10 (#1641677 - in reply to #1641652)
Subject: RE: Additional fertilizer on planter, yetter, totally tubular others

south east north Dakota
So they took the nozzle off of the tip on the yetters? What can you get for placement? 2x2 2x3? Thanks. This is on a JD 7300 verical fold.
4ethanol
Posted 2/28/2011 13:49 (#1641730 - in reply to #1641677)
Subject: Re: Additional liquid fertilizer on planter, yetter, totally tubular others

yes they had been running injector nozzles that people use on high speed 32% injector rigs but they pulled them off because of splatter. I am not exact on placement as this will be my first year with them but looking at it when i got them bolted on it looks to be around 2 inches horizontally away from the seed. but for vertical placement you can change that depending on what your preference is. they have 4 plates that go between the fert disc arm and the actual frame that a person can either take away or add to get the fert depth that you want (you can mix and match any combo of plates around the arm). The only trouble I can see maybe happening is with trying to put the disc as deep as it will go (4 plates on the bottom of the frame with arm below that) would be how much lift is that going to exert onto the row unit maybe lifting it out of the ground (but that would probably be deeper than 2x3 but idk. as soon as the ground thaws out i am going to start testing this to see how deep i can place my fert without it lifting the planter out of the ground. and maybe the designers took that into consideration and it wont be an issue.
agger802
Posted 2/28/2011 13:59 (#1641744 - in reply to #1641730)
Subject: Re: Additional liquid fertilizer on planter, yetter, totally tubular others

NE MO & W IL
I had wondered about running the coulter arm beneth the frame to get more depth and less splatter. I am just running teh arm on top the frame with no plates now. Only gets you about 1-1.5 inches of depth at that point, so i may try putting the arm below. Does yetter have a new nozzle type they recommend? thx.
4ethanol
Posted 2/28/2011 20:49 (#1642481 - in reply to #1641744)

i dont know if they are recommending a new injector nozzle but i am running a tube below ground into the slot as my distribution system. i dont know if it is going to work but i will know more very soon :)
agger802
Posted 2/28/2011 21:00 (#1642529 - in reply to #1642481)

NE MO & W IL
thanks. please post pictures of how you rig it up. I'd like to see it. I'm going to play with the depth and nozzle placement when things get fit. But that may be a while, things are wet, wet, wet.
mudracer
Posted 2/28/2011 14:00 (#1641745 - in reply to #1641730)

south east north Dakota
You wouldn't think that little 10" disc would have much if any effect on the row unit...but who knows. On the phosphate....id be putting some in furrow but would like to get more 2X2but your thinking if it doesn't get at least two inches deep perhaps don't attempt??
agger802
Posted 2/28/2011 14:15 (#1641768 - in reply to #1641745)

NE MO & W IL
I just edited my original post. I hadn't tried putting the coulter arm below the frame to get more depth. I would think by doing this you could easily get the fertilizer 3-4 inches deep. I was soaking a good inch or two with just mounting the arm on top the frame. I would think this would eliminate the splatter too as the nozzle head would be very close to the slot or even in the soil. It was riding a good inch or so out of the ground the way I had it.

As far as the phosphorous, it won't move much that's why I recommend getting it as deep as possible. However, there is research that shows 10-34-0 will diffuse a good inch downward, when applied with UAN. If you can get it 2 inches deep, you will be getting some phosphate below the intitial root zone. I have no doubt you can acheive that depth with mounting them belew the frame. And unless your ground is rock hard, I don't see how those small coulters would give you problems with row units. Mine are mounted in the middle range and I had NO problems with the coulters not going in. In tilled ground, it wouldn't matter how deep you mount them.

scmn_06
Posted 2/28/2011 14:28 (#1641790 - in reply to #1641768)

Blue Earth, MN
You are correct. Phosphorus needs to be at least 2 inches deep.
agger802
Posted 2/28/2011 13:48 (#1641729 - in reply to #1641652)
Subject: RE: Additional liquid fertilizer on planter, yetter, totally tubular others

NE MO & W IL
I put the yetter system on last year and they worked very well overall. Yes, they did splash a bit with the injection nozzle. However, I don't see the point of just dribbling it on as you wouldn't get any depth. Even with the injection nozzle, you are lucky to get the fertilizer 1-2 inches deep. It's a fine system for nitrogen and sulfur, but if you want to get phosphate 2 inches below the seed, it will not do that, especially, if you don't run an injection nozzle. I'm actually thinking about selling mine and running a row unit mounted setup to get the fertilizer deeper. Overall, a great inexpensive system of applying nitrogen with your planter.

Edit: If you run the coulter arm on the bottom side of the frame, you could get the fertilizer much deeper than the way I ran them this spring. Will be switching mine ASAP.

Edited by agger802 2/28/2011 14:03
Jay in WA
Posted 2/28/2011 15:59 (#1641914 - in reply to #1641652)
Subject: RE: Additional liquid fertilizer on planter, yetter, totally tubular others

Pasco WA.
I have the front mounted version of the 2968 with injection nozels. I don't like it. Splashes on the planter and dirt builds up on the gage wheel. In certain conditions the coulters plug up and have to be removed. With 32 & 10-34 I have never been able to see a difference between running the coulters or not using them. I would like to go to some kind of rear mounted system for this year but have not decided what it will be. Maybe just a nozel pointed at the ground 2" beside the row. Cheap and fool proof.
Jim
Posted 2/28/2011 20:24 (#1642394 - in reply to #1641652)
Subject: 30 gal/a of 28% is almost 100 units of N!

Driftless SW Wisconsin

The TT-300 is sold as a nitrogen applicator, not a phos applicator and certainly not for 30 gallons of N either.  It does well as a 10-15 gal/a bridge between planting and side dress or pre plant and an indexed boost.

You could mix some 10-34-0 in with the 28% thru the TT-300 but I would limit the N much lower unless you have a regular Heavy Duty 2x2 (and in with this much N set it 3x3) in the ground, usually single disk fertilizer coulter such as the JD or Kinze HD single disk units.

The thing that hold on to N is when it comes into contact with and latches onto a moist soil particle. There are usually quite a few loose, moist soil particles behind two Curvetines per row. How ever definitely not enough to latch onto 30 gal of 28%!

30 gal of 28% is almost 100 units of N! Depending on soil conditions and weather/rain, 30 gal of 28% N too close to the seed can fry a lot of expensive seed.  jmho and experience.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 2/28/2011 20:26
Catfan1
Posted 2/28/2011 21:03 (#1642541 - in reply to #1642394)

SE ND
Do a search for a garman unit. I put them on my planter last year and I am very happy with them. Made alot heavier then the yetter but a similar idea with the placement being on both sides of the seed and between closing wheels and row unit. I would post pics if I had some but I know they have been pictured on here in the past. I put them on a white 8500 series but I know he makes them for just about anything.
Jim
Posted 2/28/2011 21:15 (#1642579 - in reply to #1642541)
Subject: Planter row unit mounted fertilizer attachments

Driftless SW Wisconsin

The basic issue with ANY planter row unit fertilizer attachment that places the fertilizer significantly to the side and deeper than the seed in the soil is that it induces significant and variable vertical and torsional forces into a planter row unit that we are try to get to place seed at a uniform depth with minimal compaction.

The Totally Tubular TT-300 may not provide "perfect" fertilizer placement but it has no negative effect on the basic job of the row unit which is to plant seed, not be a fertilizer applicator. It also sells for under $40.

Jim at Dawn

mudracer
Posted 2/28/2011 21:19 (#1642598 - in reply to #1642579)
Subject: RE: Planter row unit mounted fertilizer attachments

south east north Dakota
wont disagree....but ask anyone on this forum about putting phos. on the surface...not a good practice. NRCS doesn't like it either.
mudracer
Posted 2/28/2011 21:12 (#1642565 - in reply to #1642394)
Subject: RE: 30 gal/a of 28% is almost 100 units of N!

south east north Dakota
Jim.....settle down LOL!!!

No where was it ever said 30 gallons of straight 28%....now 30 gallons between 28%, 10-34, KTS, Micros... that was said haha!!

Keep them boys busy in the shop as I've been getting more and more calls wondering if they can get units for spring!!

loran
Posted 3/1/2011 14:55 (#1644043 - in reply to #1641652)

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175

Carson I don't have pics on this computer.....but they may be on NAT if you search.

I made a setup similiar to the 2 tubes coming off the closing wheel? except mine is in front of the CT's and it does a VERY good job of incorperating....

I'd have to look but I think it was the "FMC" setup I started with and modified.... It's basically a 1/8 inch tube going down the hole for insectacide on a DEERE planter...I T'd with a 1/4 inch T and came down with rubber tubing.  I ended up about 1.5 inch off each side of the row...

The biggest mistake I made in the deal was to use plastic on some parts.....I'm in the process of switching that all out to stainless as the plastic became brittle and breaks to easy.   I can get you pics later if you need?

loran
Posted 3/1/2011 15:00 (#1644052 - in reply to #1644043)

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175

found a link-- http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18664&mid=127525#M127525

mudracer
Posted 3/1/2011 20:06 (#1644525 - in reply to #1641652)

south east north Dakota
thanks for the pics loran.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)