AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone build a Morton building house?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JD Farm 3
Posted 2/10/2011 21:24 (#1606424)
Subject: Anyone build a Morton building house?

NW Illinois
My wife and I are looking at building a house in the near future and talked to Morton Buildings today about buildiong one. They were willing to do it, but they build the structure and then we would have to have a sub contractor do the rest. We have also looked at building a moduler home and have been very impresed with that. The place we went had a home model we could walk through and we really liked it and it was in our price range. Still waiting on the plans and price from them. The nice thing about the moduler built home is that the home would be up in about 3 months from start to finish verses about 6 months for a stick built. My question is has anyone talked to Morton buildings about building home or built one? If so how do you like it? Pros and Cons on a moduler home verses a stick built home? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Top of the page Bottom of the page
granto
Posted 2/10/2011 21:31 (#1606439 - in reply to #1606424)
Subject: Re: Anyone build a Morton building house?

18c ditch system
There is nothing wrong with a good modular home. Designing and building a home from scratch is not for the faint of heart.......
trannyman44
Posted 2/10/2011 22:05 (#1606536 - in reply to #1606439)
Subject: Oh Me...

Hello Granto, and JD 3...

You cannot possibly know how much you have just answered my Questions...that is precisely what I need to do, and can afford to do Now.

I have the funds, and the know-how, and don't, and/or want the subcontractor.

Thanks Again,
trannyman44
semosandfarmer
Posted 2/10/2011 21:43 (#1606473 - in reply to #1606424)

East Prairie, MO
There is a Morton Building house just down the road, very nice looking and you wouldn't know what it was unless you saw it built...and if you did see it built you would realize it will probably be there forever! I actually think the guy that lives there works for morton.
MZ1
Posted 2/10/2011 21:45 (#1606478 - in reply to #1606424)

N Illinois (I39 & US 30)
I guy I know built a shop with a house attached (pole building). Problem was, in the shop, they ran an extension cord under a rug, eventually started a fire and burned everything. Your insurance agent should be consulted, rates could be high.
minnmc
Posted 2/10/2011 22:07 (#1606542 - in reply to #1606478)

west central MN
I've got two friends that were going to put up modular and found they could build stick house almost as cheap by making it similar to mod. ( vaulted cielings , unfinished basement etc.) I have been in both and they are nice houses.
cdsloop
Posted 2/10/2011 22:07 (#1606545 - in reply to #1606424)
Subject: RE: Anyone build a Morton building house?

Central NC, Rowan County
My wife and I moved into our new modular in late December. We are very pleased with the results. Took almost 4 months from signing a contract to moving in. Really looking forward to some drier weather to do some yard work. Dragging red mud in all the time is getting old. Is SPRING here yet? My e-mail is in the profile if I can answer any questions. I can't advise on the Morton building route.
mk2angus
Posted 2/10/2011 22:13 (#1606562 - in reply to #1606424)

NW Minnesota
We live in a Modular Home, which I refer to as a Double Wide. There actually is a difference between the 2 tho. I went in to get some low intrest refinancing and my bank told me modulars didn't qualify for the refinance program. Stick built houses only.
Cyclone96
Posted 2/10/2011 22:44 (#1606661 - in reply to #1606562)

NE Iowa
You need to talk to a different bank. A true modular home is treated as a stick built in all aspects. Even resale in most cases.
Big Ben
Posted 2/10/2011 22:48 (#1606669 - in reply to #1606661)

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
A true modular home is not a double wide.

yam
Posted 2/10/2011 22:21 (#1606584 - in reply to #1606424)

MN
I know you don't build/buy a house for resale, but it might hurt down the road if you have to sell- also it would not be able to qualify for a "conforming" home loan, the type that can be sold to fannie or freddie. You would end up paying higher interest if you or possibly the next owner need to take a loan on it. Usually modular homes can qualify for regular home financing where manufactured homes (double wides) do not.
kmk
Posted 2/10/2011 22:23 (#1606591 - in reply to #1606424)

West Central IL
JD Farm 3, we just ordered a Homeway Home last week, if you haven't looked into one of theirs or toured their factory you really need to before you make any decision. We hope to be moved in by June 1st.

As for financing or refinancing our modular it has a deed just like any other property and is not a double wide. There is actually 4 sections,stick built inside a climate controlled building.

Edited by kmk 2/10/2011 22:27
bwire
Posted 2/10/2011 22:33 (#1606621 - in reply to #1606424)

Rock County, MN

I had thought well of building with steel but this other has got my attention now. Recommend look at these links, the you tube is very impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN8mvhzX9No

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=212141&mid=1591925#M1591925

Edited by bwire 2/10/2011 22:35
jdflyer
Posted 2/10/2011 22:49 (#1606672 - in reply to #1606424)

Centralia, MO
A friend of mine built a Morton house several years ago. It is a two story house on one end facing a nice lake and the other end serves as a shop for his excavating business. He did a really nice job with lots of windows on the house end. Can't say if he saved any money but it sure is convenient particularly for his wife. She works in the business and has kids to take care of.

I built a modular home 3 years ago and I think it is a very easy way to go compared to a full stick built house. I did the excavating myself as I was building on a crawlspace only and the design was simple. I hired a crew with forms to pour the foundation. After the house was set on the foundation, I hired a guy with a trencher to run the water, electric and sewer lines and a plumber to connect all the drains and hook up the gas and that was it. I poured the foundation in August and moved in by late October.
Galaxie64
Posted 2/10/2011 23:14 (#1606743 - in reply to #1606424)

WY, OK
I know of half a dozen morton style houses, all look fine. Never been in any of them though. My first concerns would be the bank if you are getting a loan of any kind and insurance to see what/how they would cover and what it would cost.

As for the modular and bank thing, it all comes down to if it is a true modular sitting on a foundation Or if it still has the steel frame under it, if it has the steel frame then you will be hard pressed to get a loan. Otherwise it is a house and there is no issue
fairviewfarmer
Posted 2/10/2011 23:36 (#1606801 - in reply to #1606424)

All American Homes in Dyersville, IA. They manufacture Modular homes in all different sizes and price ranges. Their "cheapest" home is so much better built than a "stick built" its almost unbelievable. Yes, I live in one! :) :) A Modular Home is NOT a "double wide"! My home has 2x12 stringers under it versus 2x8's in most stick built. It also has 2x6 walls 16 in. on center. We have a basement, which is the cheapest extra square feet you can acquire when you are "building" a house. Ours is 18 yrs. old and we have had no problems with it whatsoever besides normal maintenance. We would buy an All American Home again in a heartbeat. Good Luck with whatever direction you go!
wwfarms
Posted 2/11/2011 00:10 (#1606873 - in reply to #1606424)

MN
I put up a shult modular home up in the fall of 2009. So far so good. I'm not sure I saved any money buying a modular vs. building a stick built, but I feel like I got some options for the price of the modular that would of cost me a lot more to go stick built. The house is 60x28 and we put a 10 ft basement below it. Everyone that walks in is kind of shocked that a modular home looks like it does. There seems to be a lot of negative people out there when it comes to them. It was easy to get a house loan just the same as a stick built. If I did it again I'd probably look more into a stick built, I ruled it out right away. Happy Building!
Haleiwa
Posted 2/11/2011 01:03 (#1606942 - in reply to #1606424)

West Chazy, New York
My house is a metal building, and we like it. The biggest challenge will be the carpenters fastening wood pieces to the metal frame. Sometimes it takes a little extra thought to make it work. The drywallers had no problem covering the metal rafters; they use a little spring clip that fastens to the metal frame and the drywall screws go through the clip to hold the sheetrock.
oilmaster
Posted 2/11/2011 01:08 (#1606945 - in reply to #1606424)

WCIN
Not sure how they build the house, but I built mine like a pole building. 4' on center with 2x8 trusses that are sandwiched in laminant posts buried 3.5' in concrete. I kinda like having 7 3/5" insulated walls. 32x36x13. Actually it is the garage til I build the house. That will have 2x8 laminated posts and a 20' tall structure. I might build it like a real barn--Great, great grandfather had the barn built on the farm in 1907, and it is still there. Has had many repairs, but it still stands! My standards are that manufactured housing is a temporary solution for something permanent.
Mike SE IL
Posted 2/11/2011 07:38 (#1607087 - in reply to #1606945)

West Union, Illinois

oilmaster - My standards are that manufactured housing is a temporary solution for something permanent.
I think the problem is "manufactured housing" is like anything else, it can be good or not so good depending upon how it is done. Manufactured can mean done cheaply by unqualified workers or it can mean done in a controlled environment by people who are very experienced at what they do.  There are manufactured houses that will meet your standards if you are willing to pay for it.

Duane in ND
Posted 2/11/2011 07:52 (#1607110 - in reply to #1607087)

North central North Dakota

Mike SE IL
I think you said it best about the Manufactured homes.  We looked at some different brands and qualities.   The company that we bought from actually have a different series of homes to be competitive with the cheaper homes out there.  We ended up buying more of a higher end custom designed manufactured home.  IT does have a "serial number" since it was built in a factory, but is made of 2x12 web trusses, 2x6 walls, 9 foot ceilings, steep roof, bump outs and roof pieces so it does not look like a box.

kmk
Posted 2/11/2011 17:28 (#1608019 - in reply to #1607087)

West Central IL
This is pretty similar to what our house will look like,tell me if it looks like a mobile home or square box modular.

(Homeway_HAMILTON.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Homeway_HAMILTON.jpg (32KB - 1383 downloads)
dondozer
Posted 2/11/2011 08:07 (#1607135 - in reply to #1606424)

NW Ohio,near Findlay
I was in the excavation work, business, worked around people that have built these. Most of the owners are young farmers and want to get started on there future home, building site. They start with a very nice looking pole barn and convert one end into living quarters, and then convert rest of it to large garage, shop with the plan to work out of it building the future house. One owner built and designed his and it was soooon nice, I would have been satisfied living there forever. Had loft, workshop, but small in bedroom areas for family. About two years later started this monster size house, cost overun on house was terrible and many times told me should have just stayed in pole barn house, was happier. Two of them are near me, both of them are really nice. One is drop-dead perfect, one is more of a man cave type with basement under the home section. He walks right out door and does his thing on antique tractors. My daughter and son-in-law want to design one soon. I need to go and get pictures and try and work it out. My email in profile if you want names of owners and pictures.
FPTractorCo.
Posted 2/11/2011 12:19 (#1607570 - in reply to #1607135)

Toluca, IL
I am thinking of doing the same thing here somewhere. Dont own any land to put it up on at the moment though. My wife has a pile of horses and needs a better building for them and I need a decent sized shop and some storage for my old tractors and to work on sprayers for work in. My thoughts are a 60x120 building with tall eaves and build the house part on a second story above her horse stall area, that way all of my plumbing, etc is accesible from underneath just like a basement. I would like to make each section into 40x60 areas, one for the stalls/house, an indoor arena/multipurpose area, and a shop area on the opposite end from the house part (for sound/smoke isolation). I wouldnt need a 40x60 house area so thought about a 30x60 or 25x60 and leave the rest as a balcony/porch area to sit out on and she and her friends can overlook her equine enterprise. Also would be a good platform to raise things up to home level with the loader (like appliances, etc). Depending on location, I thought of building the home side of it into the side of a hill so access could be made right to the second level of the house from the outside. We have been looking at several farms in the area but nothing suits the both of us. Seems like this might be a good option for us. Anyone have any thoughts?
kmk
Posted 2/11/2011 17:22 (#1608012 - in reply to #1607570)

West Central IL
Above the horse stalls and smell horse crap all the time? I wouldn't want to be living above a bunch of horses.
Illinois Steve
Posted 2/11/2011 09:40 (#1607298 - in reply to #1606424)

North Central Illinois
I know of at least one guy that has incorporated living quarters into the end of a huge shed and shop. I have another guy not far away who built a pole building house. It looks kind of strange to be honest with you. It is pretty much shaped like a normal house but has pole barn steel top to bottom. I can't remember if it is a Morton or not. It wouldn't be for me but as long as he is happy with it why should I care? I guess I would talk to a couple of contractors first and get some ideas from them as to what kind of pitfalls you might run into finishing the inside of it. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to look into a quality prefab either. There are some really nice ones out there. Of course like anything else there are junk ones too. I think a bank would be much more receptive to a prefab rather than a pole building but that is just a guess.
WildcatWillie
Posted 2/11/2011 09:44 (#1607306 - in reply to #1606424)

North Central Kansas
My family built a dwelling based on a 30X50-foot Esh Building (like Morton, but less expensive). The crew built the building and framed the walls; we then had contractors finish it up. We built it with 10-foot ceilings to give it a little more spacious feeling. Ours is more of a "hunting lodge" type of place, but we've had a few empty-nest couples look at it, thinking they might like to have a place like that to live in now that they don't have kids around.
I like the place very much. It's fairly efficient; much more than I thought, after getting the premium insulation package. We had an excellent crew of sheetrockers finish the inside, and the place looks just like a home on the inside. It still does look a bit like a shed; but there are packages that look just like homes.
We chose this route rather than fixing up a rundown house on our farm. I think we spent less money, got a better building and certainly one that is more comfortable.
If I were to do it again, I would see about putting radiant heat in the floor. In the winter, the concrete floor is pretty cold (even with carpet and padding.) Aside from that, no regrets.
Angus in ncmo
Posted 2/11/2011 12:45 (#1607608 - in reply to #1606424)

not a Morton, but I like it. 

radiant heat in the floor, spray foam insulation,

I don't care about what the next folks that live here think, since I have no plans of moving out 'til they carry me feet first. 

No posts in contact with the dirt.  Laminated posts in shop with a sill plate along the bottom of posts that is anchored to concrete.  Living area is normal 2x6 stick built walls with nailers on the outside for attaching steel.

(home & shop.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments home & shop.jpg (95KB - 1260 downloads)
Mlebrun
Posted 2/11/2011 13:19 (#1607660 - in reply to #1606424)

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
stick built without a question. Resale will be better.
nd mike
Posted 2/11/2011 13:58 (#1607726 - in reply to #1606424)

wahpeton, nd

Nephew built a Foltz home last year. very happy so far. will try to post a picture:

(DSC00057.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00057.jpg (61KB - 1753 downloads)
Pro_Till
Posted 2/12/2011 00:29 (#1608890 - in reply to #1606424)

NE Colorado

Yup, Just did it! Still some work to be done though. After coming up with it over the last 6 years in my head, 2 years talking to Morton, 7 months since the Morton boys left and the handy work of my amazing father and family here's the results.

It's awesome and would recommend it to anyone who needs shed space and could afford another 24 ft on their building. The overall Morton bldg is 96 x 48. The office/residence is 48 x 24 w/ 32 x 24 loft.

I will post a slideshow on my website: http://www.protill.com/photos/index.html
You can email me with questions or ask them here. It has been a bit of a process, but I don't think it was any different than building any other structure. It's just that I've got 2 structures in 1. My insurance company definitely didn't know how to handle it at first, but we got it all figured out. Morton was pretty excited about it too.

Edited by Pro_TIll 2/12/2011 01:00

(pt1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pt1.jpg (52KB - 1595 downloads)
jpmill79
Posted 2/12/2011 10:44 (#1609403 - in reply to #1606424)

Northwest Illinois
I always wanted a house/shop. I would've had a big picture window in my bedroom that looked down into my shop. Then I got married and those plans forever changed. I wasn't so much worried about saving money but more convenience and longevity. I always envisioned myself waking up in the middle of the night with an idea and walking out to the shop in my socks to tinker.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)