AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My home made calf warmer.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kstate90
Posted 2/5/2011 21:22 (#1595741)
Subject: My home made calf warmer.

North Central Kansas
Weather forecast is calling for more cold weather this week and snow so I decided I better get ready. I had picked up this Giant size dog carrier at a house I was cleaning up this summer. When I saw it there I thought that it would make a good calf warmer. The only thing I have in it is the heater and a couple of 2x4's and some scrap plywood. I bought the heater new. It is a Stanley (lasko) ceramic heater. Cost $35. So I probably have less than $50 in it. By the pictures you can see that I put a piece of carpet over the door. It was missing the door when I got it. I may price a door and see how much it is if it is too much I will cut a piece of plywood for the door. I would like to find some hog slats to put in the bottom so the air can circulate around the calf. If I don't find any of those I will build a wood frame and put hail screen over it so the calf is not on the floor. It is not very pretty but it doesn't have to be. My daughter helped me build this. We ran it for about an hour while we chored. It got pretty nice inside. The heater has a thermal overload and a tip over sensor so it should be pretty safe.

Today was a beautiful day. Had two calves today but several more are getting close. -2 one night this week. I got my nutridrench yesterday so I guess I am ready.

Edited by kstate90 2/5/2011 21:29

(calf warmer before.jpg)

(calf warmer inside.jpg)

(calf warmer.jpg)

(calf warmer heater.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments calf warmer before.jpg (42KB - 1155 downloads)
Attachments calf warmer inside.jpg (29KB - 913 downloads)
Attachments calf warmer.jpg (34KB - 905 downloads)
Attachments calf warmer heater.jpg (35KB - 1169 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)