AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For you Northeners that deal with cold. Who makes the best water hydrant?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 17:51 (#1539552)
Subject: For you Northeners that deal with cold. Who makes the best water hydrant?

Kansas
Ritchies are not the cream of the crop. They freeze up.

Orscheln's chinese junk isn't worth the iron its made out of.

Who makes the best water hydrant out there? There's got to be something that is reliable and dont' freeze up.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mlazyj
Posted 1/10/2011 18:01 (#1539567 - in reply to #1539552)
Subject: Re: For you Northeners that deal with cold. Who makes the best water hydrant?

Shoot I forgot the name we have blue plastic with a black cover on top . I has a heater in the float bowl and a heat tape that runs from the back side of the valve down through the base . The top cover has spring loaded clips that make the valve access easy . Ritchies just suck , We've got one left when it breaks it's gone.
thumb farmer
Posted 1/10/2011 18:06 (#1539577 - in reply to #1539567)
Subject: Re: For you Northeners that deal with cold. Who makes the best water hydrant?

Port Austin Mi.
I use Miraco. Not positive on the spelling. I have some outside and this morning it was -3 degrees with a north wind and no troubles. Hope this helps.

Jerry
bullhauler
Posted 1/10/2011 18:13 (#1539587 - in reply to #1539577)

Denhoff,ND right in the center of the State
My brother also made one from large tire with cover on it and has large pipe buried under it and uses rural water with a float system, the heat from the ground below keeps it open, but has had this freeze up in extreme cold conditions, dont work as well as the ones my dad made. Terry
bullhauler
Posted 1/10/2011 18:10 (#1539584 - in reply to #1539567)

Denhoff,ND right in the center of the State
Rich we use large round earthmoveing tires that have a overflow on them, and a 10,000 gallon fiberglass tanks buried underground with submersable pumps that run constantly, bringing up warm water that recirculates and they never freeze, my kids caught a few painted turtles this past summer and threw them in the rubber tanks for pets and they were swimming around in the water all winter so far, been bitter cold here too. We have float on them, and when the tanks below get down the well starts to pump so there is always fresh supply of water, yearly we have man holes and go in the tanks below and clean out. My dad came up with this idea about 30 years ago and has made many of these systems work very well, we always keep a few submersable pumps on hand, dont take a large pump, just something to circulate the water, think they are 1/3 or 1/2 hp. Never had one freeze in 30 years. Terry
John SD
Posted 1/10/2011 18:19 (#1539593 - in reply to #1539552)
Subject: RE: For you Northeners that deal with cold. Who makes the best water hydrant?

Now Rich, I read your title and thought this post was about hydrants, and then I find out you want to know about automatic waterers. ;-)

I really don't know the answer to your question. I have a Jug waterer on hand tor several years now that I have never got around to installing. I know a guy who is kinda picky about stuff and he recommended the Jug. The drinker cups have water in the very bottom of them and the cattle suck it up like drinking through a straw. The water level can be turned up higher to train them to drink out of it. http://www.thejugwaterer.com

As far as the best winter water setup, you can probably build your own with a 6'-8' covered tire tank. Use a tire with only drinker holes cut in it and leave the rest of the sidewall and bead alone. I've seen various store bought covers available made out of plastic or concrete. Or you could build a cover out of plywood or megapanel. Be sure to leave some way to access whatever valve/float system you use. I prefer the Watson valves but a lot of guys get along well with Bob valves.

I have had pretty good luck with an 8' tire with 2 drinker holes cut in it. I also have the pieces of tire that were cut out to make the drinker holes. I laid a 18.4-38 tractor tire as is on top of the tire tank and a 9:00-20 truck tire on top of it. Then I put a leftover piece of masonite house siding on top of the truck tire and held that on with a 235-16 pickup tire and a 15" car tire. Voila!!!!! Sealed the seams between each layer of tractor/truck/pickup tires with a couple cans of spray foam. The foam only lasts about one season where it's exposed to sun light. The float valve never froze and with one of the drinker holes covered the ice very seldom got thick enough on the other drinker hole that the cows couldn't break it. If your water supply allows, you could install an overflow and let the water run a bit with a bleeder valve.

I've always been intriqued with the Cobett waterers although I don't personally know anyone who has one. Just dig a hole and bury them and put some gravel around it, no concrete necessary. Seems like original Paul and some other guys have experience with them and they have been discussed on here. http://www.cobett.com

Edited by John SD 1/10/2011 18:31
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 20:25 (#1539938 - in reply to #1539593)
Subject: You were right the first time.. I don't want an automatic waterere. I want to know about hydrants.

Kansas
Someone took this and ran a different direction. I am talking hydrants.
John SD
Posted 1/10/2011 20:50 (#1540010 - in reply to #1539938)
Subject: RE: You were right the first time.. I don't want an automatic waterere. I want to know about hydrant

Sorry Rich! We're just a confused bunch tonight LOL! There are some of their waterers around but I've never heard of a Ritchie hydrant.

IMO, and as others have said Woodford is the only way to go. Tape the pipe if you need to do that on galvanized in your soil. If you have heavy gumbo or clay soil, use a couple 5 gal buckets of gravel at the base when you install it so the drain has a place to go with the water.

This lack of "drain field" might be the problem with your existing hydrant if it is turned on and off a lot in winter.

Edited by John SD 1/10/2011 20:55
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 20:51 (#1540015 - in reply to #1540010)
Subject: Pictures inside

Kansas
Ritchie water Hydrant.

(Emma and Daughters 003.jpg)

(Emma and Daughters 002.jpg)

(Emma and Daughters 005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Emma and Daughters 003.jpg (67KB - 462 downloads)
Attachments Emma and Daughters 002.jpg (70KB - 430 downloads)
Attachments Emma and Daughters 005.jpg (65KB - 406 downloads)
MNRyeGrower
Posted 1/12/2011 14:33 (#1544167 - in reply to #1540015)
Subject: How Deep is that?

Central MN

That does not appear to be buried all the deep to me.  You might also consider digging the area around the drain and putting in some pea gravel for better drainage.

Key to a frostless hydrant is its ability to drain the water in the vertical pipe when shut off into the ground below the frost line.

1. Check to make sure you're below frost line.
2. Check to make sure you have proper drainage.

Could also be a bad valve which might allow water to seep into the vertical pipe and/or drain field causing it to flood and freeze. 

Rich
Posted 1/12/2011 16:35 (#1544362 - in reply to #1544167)
Subject: RE: How Deep is that?

Kansas
I spose that hydrants about 5 or 6 foot down give or take. The lack of gravel you see is because I was still digging it out when I took the pics. I had lava rock I put down there along with other gravel afterwards. Didn't use my bucket trick this time as the lava rock was close by from a cleaned up flower patch.

As I said before. Frost line here in kansas where I am at is 3 to 3.5 feet. I was easily below that. That is not the hydrant in question either. Just one I used to pictorial.

Also, while we havn't fought a froze hydrant this year... (knock on wood).... it has happened in the past and the post was originally brought up to cover freezing hydrants and something to replace those cheap farm store specials.

I was just wondering what is all out there that I am not aware of. Apparently... I am aware of them all. Not a single one of them is foolproof and perfect. Kinda like tractors and pickups. Wish these chumps with engineering degrees would do something to earn thier money once on all levels across the board. No reason this day and age for not coming up with something that is foolproof to the extent of.... Oh forget it. I'm wishing again. There goes that unicorn crapping skittles in my dream.
bellyacre
Posted 1/10/2011 22:04 (#1540275 - in reply to #1539938)
Subject: RE: You were right the first time.. I don't want an automatic waterere. I want to know about hydrant

SWMN
Use "Iowa" with good luck if we cover the galvanized pipe with electrical tape.
Been looking for "Hawaii " brand, need warm water this time of year.
johndeere1
Posted 1/10/2011 18:21 (#1539596 - in reply to #1539552)
Subject: RE: For you Northeners that deal with cold. Who makes the best water hydrant?

Central Saskatchewan Canada
when i think of a water hydrant i think of a handle you flip over and water comes out of the spout. is this what you are talking about?

i don't know the name on ours but will have a look tonight when i check things over.
feelnrite
Posted 1/10/2011 18:27 (#1539614 - in reply to #1539596)

northwest tennessee
I was thinking he was talking about hydrants too. I know the Simmons are no good anymore. They last about a year. I have always heard that the Woodford made in Iowa I think are the best. They are about 3 times the cost of a Simmons but that is ok if they last. I have wanted to try them but will have to order them as no one sells them here.
John SD
Posted 1/10/2011 18:34 (#1539632 - in reply to #1539614)

Woodford hydrants are the best there is IMO. I'd say they are sold and installed 10:1 over any other brand in this area. Around here we have to wrap them with electrical tape before we bury them or electrolysis will eat a hole in the galvanized pipe from the outside in.
povertypoint
Posted 1/17/2011 00:35 (#1553776 - in reply to #1539632)

SE SD
Been a plumber in SD for 32 years now. If I supply a hydrant it's a woodford same thing as Iowa
Have installed many with a seppmann system www.seppmannenterprises.com (works great in a through
the concrete installation). You can replace or servie without digging. digging is generally the most costly part of the job. I just love the guy's (or Gal's) who furnish their own cheap chain store hydrant,
JOB SECURITY
Good Luck
Plumbers Creed-pay day is friday, Sh#% runs down hill, never chew your fingernails
ronnyb205
Posted 1/10/2011 18:30 (#1539622 - in reply to #1539596)

Manitoba
If you're talking about water bowls,I'm pleased with my Enduraplas/Agrimaxx all plastic unit It's got a heater that sits under the center cover near the float plus a 60W light bulb always on under the bowl.So far it's been good to 40 below.
Roy@ranch
Posted 1/10/2011 18:45 (#1539655 - in reply to #1539552)

North Cental Mo.
Orange Iowa hydrants, and Richie electric drinks. Both service me well.

Roy

jreiser
Posted 1/10/2011 20:43 (#1539989 - in reply to #1539655)
Subject: Iowa hydrants

nc Ne
The rest are junk in my Opinion.
John SD
Posted 1/10/2011 18:51 (#1539668 - in reply to #1539552)
Subject: A couple previous discussions, link to paul's pics, seems Cobett wins hands down.....

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=138329&posts=2...

Edited by John SD 1/10/2011 19:01
German Shepherd
Posted 1/10/2011 19:47 (#1539820 - in reply to #1539552)

OK, you want a fountain, not a hydrant.  First off, you are right about Richies.  They are  the biggest pile of junk made.

I have 3 concrete Petersens.  The biggest problem I have is that the thermostats don't like to stay set.  The water tends to get warmer as the winter drags on.  I have to set them lower every once in a while, and then sometimes they do freeze over after a month and we start to go the other way.  I have a 44C Super Pete.  About the only things that can go wrong on them is the thermostat and the heating element.  Floats are copper and the valves are pretty good.

minn gopher
Posted 1/10/2011 20:01 (#1539867 - in reply to #1539820)

Pine City, MN
The new poly richies we got are fine, hell of alot better than the cement bolhmans.. Poly waterer is the key, way better insulation than cement and cheaper to heat also..
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 20:27 (#1539946 - in reply to #1539820)
Subject: NO.. I want a HYDRANT!

Kansas
Why is it so damn hard for people to read? Ritchie makes hydrants too. Water hydrant. Not a fire hydrant. Not a damn autotmatic waterer. A HYDRANT.
Pofarmer
Posted 1/10/2011 20:11 (#1539886 - in reply to #1539552)

The main thing to keeping a water hydrant from freezing is to have a good gravel drain at the base of it. If the water can't get away, any hydrant will freeze. Big gravel, and a ways back down the pipe, and some 1" or so on top if it, to keep dirt from silting it in. Still like the ritchies. As long as they are adjusted and drain, they are O.K. We now get a blue one from local plumbing supply, not sure what make, but I like it. I agree Orscheln hydrants are junk.

Oh, we're talking waterers.

You talking energy free or electric?

I put in an new energy free 2 hole Ritchie last winter, so far, it's been perfect. Main thing is to have a decent air well for it. Honestly, it hasn't given a minutes problem. What kind of waterers do you have now?

Edited by Pofarmer 1/10/2011 20:14
DaveSD
Posted 1/10/2011 20:20 (#1539918 - in reply to #1539552)

north central SD
http://www.frostfreenosepumps.com/

Don't know anything about these - just saw an article in a cattle magazine. Looks kind of interesting.
deeredriver
Posted 1/10/2011 20:22 (#1539928 - in reply to #1539552)

Alma NE
If your hydrant is freezing up either its not burried deep enough or the drain is pluged .
We have a bunch of orshlins hydrants and we have only ever had 1 freeze the lime scale built up in the drain hole and pluged it up
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 20:23 (#1539932 - in reply to #1539928)

Kansas
The Orscheln hydrant didn't freeze up. It fell apart inside. Piece of junk.
kstate90
Posted 1/10/2011 20:24 (#1539933 - in reply to #1539552)

North Central Kansas
I have a two hole Ritchie that has been trouble free. The only time I have problem is when it is subzero. You just have to go tap the balls and they pop loose. During the day they don't give any problem but at night they will freeze up. It has the insulated ground well which keeps it warm.
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 1/10/2011 20:35 (#1539964 - in reply to #1539552)

just a tish NE of central ND
I dont think I ever seen Ritchie hydrant? Rich..... what exactly fell apart on you hydrant?

I have several different kinds. All of them you can pull the rod up and change the seals that are below ground by removing the head and pullling the rod out the top. Renstall in reverse and adjust them so the drain properly.
They will all freeze up if they arent set adjusted or dont have a decent drainage bed below the ground so the pipe can empty out.So proper adjustement of the inner rod travel is nessessary.
Edit.....
You say your hydrant unscrewed its parts?That would stink..... LOCKTITE!!!!!!
Shucks....... that looks like it was a easy repair. No back hoe needed? It looks like it is in the ground 4 feet or a little better? Around here it would be around 8 foot deep or at least close to that to avoid the frost line
Oh,, dump some gravel or pea rock in around the drain hole area.

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 1/10/2011 20:54
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 20:39 (#1539973 - in reply to #1539964)

Kansas
No no no... you guys are missing it.

Am I that far off base tonite that I can't get across what I am trying to say?

The Ritchies have freeze problems. Yea yea yea... drain and rocks and blah blah blah.. I've heard all of that b.s. before. Whatever. Still deal with the issue.

The Orscheln hydrant is the one that fell apart inside. Pull the handle up and its like it unscrewed it'self inside. Pile of damn junk.

See if I can find a pic of a Ritchie I have down at the house here. They are yellow hydrants.

(Emma and Daughters 005.jpg)

(Emma and Daughters 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Emma and Daughters 005.jpg (65KB - 421 downloads)
Attachments Emma and Daughters 003.jpg (67KB - 361 downloads)
feelnrite
Posted 1/10/2011 20:51 (#1540016 - in reply to #1539973)

northwest tennessee
Man that is one way to dig out a hydrant. Just take the loader and dig a walk in hole. I dig them out with a shovel and then stand on my head. I have never seen a Ritchie hydrant but was looking online and for what they cost they should be the cats meow as you say. I thought the woodfords were high but they are cheap compared to Ritchie.
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 20:53 (#1540026 - in reply to #1540016)

Kansas
Shovel out a hydrant?

I'm not against manual labor but come on. Hell with that.
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 1/10/2011 21:32 (#1540166 - in reply to #1540026)

just a tish NE of central ND
Rich - 1/10/2011 19:53

Shovel out a hydrant?

I'm not against manual labor but come on. Hell with that.

Ive done that too..(hand dig).. Several of them , one even inside the foundation of a building, and 8 foot down.
John SD
Posted 1/10/2011 21:11 (#1540090 - in reply to #1540016)

I can't really tell for sure from the pic, but looks like Rich's hydrant might be buried kinda shallow, especially considering the slope away from the shed? "Here" we have to bury everything 6' deep or something will freeze no matter what you do.

Edited by John SD 1/10/2011 21:13
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 21:16 (#1540103 - in reply to #1540090)

Kansas
Frost line here is 3 to 3 and a half feet. I'm trying to remember but I think thats a 7 or 9 foot hydrant. There is more dirt piled on it there because it's aside of the shops foundation.

Nothing I hate more is people that install 6' hydrants around here and then you have to get down on the ground like a midget to turn them on.
darkagro
Posted 1/10/2011 20:45 (#1539996 - in reply to #1539552)

Saskatchewan, Canada
No one. We took ours out and went to a tire and just fill the tire with water, and on a couple of them we put on auto shut off switchs to make them automatic.

Have had no problem for the last 4 years, alot better then those stupid watering bowls system
deeredriver
Posted 1/10/2011 20:51 (#1540013 - in reply to #1539996)

Alma NE
Richie is the finest water hydrand on the market says so right here ;)
http://www.ritchiefount.com/pdf/Hydrant/Hydrant.pdf
all the ones we have ever put in we didnt go to all the work that the ins says so, Dug a hole threw it in and coverd it up,
Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/10/2011 20:55 (#1540030 - in reply to #1539552)
Subject: RE: Rich, I've had about all of them.......

The best that have been here 30+ years are the Woodford Model Y34. I have some Ritchie hydrants, but I bought them 20 years ago. We bought some cheaper junk from Hardware store that failed the first year. The drains weren't big enough, and they would freeze up. If I had to vote it would be the Woodfords.

I've been getting a real good PVC tape from my pump supplier that is green. We wrap all galv. pipe fittings down well casings. Really saves them, that tape you can't tear it. You have to cut it with a knife. Our water is soo hard here, you can't plumb a 90 degree fitting can only use a 45 degree. LOL It's a no brainer why everyone used to drink a lot of beer here, you couldn't drink some of the water!
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 20:59 (#1540047 - in reply to #1540030)

Kansas
Thanks Russ. I'm gonna google those woodfords and tell Pops about the Rave revues I'm hearing.

We got a couple Iowa hydrants. Seems to me there is an issue with them too and for some reason I can't remember now. They work and alot better then others we have had but at the same time, they still have a flaw.

Seems like it takes a bulldozer bicep to pull them up.
Roy@ranch
Posted 1/10/2011 21:01 (#1540052 - in reply to #1540047)

North Cental Mo.
Nancy boy can't pull the hydrant handle???? LOL

Roy
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 21:02 (#1540057 - in reply to #1540052)

Kansas
Earths gravitational pull is stronger west of you. *GRIN*
Roy@ranch
Posted 1/10/2011 21:59 (#1540253 - in reply to #1540057)

North Cental Mo.
I always wondered about that.

Roy
Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/10/2011 21:05 (#1540070 - in reply to #1540047)

Yes, they seem to be hard to pull sometimes. The three Ritchies I've got have been ok. One a hired man screwed the adjusting threads up. The others have been fine. The biggest problem is getting them to drain, make sure you have good rock around them. By the way we dug everything with a loader bucket, till I got a backhoe. If God had wanted me to dig them by hand, he would have made me a badger!
John SD
Posted 1/10/2011 21:19 (#1540114 - in reply to #1540047)

Rich, Woodford/Iowa is the same hydrant. Some guys call them one of the other but we are talking about the kind you already have. They are painted orange with "Woodford" in the casting on one side and "Iowa" on the other side.

My artesian water is tough on hydrants. For those seldom used it helps to keep a spray can handy to soak the top where the packing nut is with WD or PB or similar every so often.
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 21:20 (#1540118 - in reply to #1540114)

Kansas
Yea, I just discovered this.

I guess nothing is going to be entirely foolproof.
gene_champ
Posted 1/10/2011 20:59 (#1540045 - in reply to #1539552)

NC Iowa
Rich - 1/10/2011 16:51
Ritchies are not the cream of the crop. They freeze up.
Orscheln's chinese junk isn't worth the iron its made out of.
Who makes the best water hydrant out there? There's got to be something that is reliable and dont' freeze up.

if it is freezing up, either rod is not set right, valve is bad, or not draining. ritchie and iowa are both good, stay away from anything chinese if you can. poor brass. i hope ritchie isn't chinese now.

i have several ritchies that have been is use for 30+ years. here, plan on getting it in the ground 6 feet deep . over dig the depth of the hole by a foot, and put 1 foot of pea rock in it. hook up the water and check the drain adjustment. set hydrant in the hole so drain hole is in pearock. backfill carefully. then forget about it for 30 years. good luck.
if soil has good natural drainage, and you don't have too many on-off cycles, you could skip the pearock. just know the risks.

Posted 1/10/2011 21:07 (#1540077 - in reply to #1539552)

west central Iowa
I have one Ritchie and the rest are Iowa hydrants never had any them freeze up since I quit using gravel at the bottom. The old guy that used to do my trenching showed me how to fix them better. You use about a 18" piece of 4 inch PVC and a cap. Drill a hole the size of the hydrant pipe thru the cap and glue it on the 4" pipe. Screw the bottom off the hydrant and slip the pipe and cap over it with the cap to the up side. Then reassemble and install the hydrant. They drain back much better with open space than with just gravel.
Rich
Posted 1/10/2011 21:14 (#1540097 - in reply to #1540077)

Kansas
Now I will teach you another trick similar to that but you don't have to jack with screwing the hydrant back down.

Take a 5 gallon bucket and cut a hole out in the bottom of it big enough the hydrant bottom will go through. Now of course, the hole at the bottom of the bucket will be to big and allow dirt to fall back in down the space between the hole edge and the hydrant pipe.

Take scrap tin and cut a perfect sized hole for the hydrant pipe. Then slit it to one side so you can flex it and get it slid past the pipe and lay it flat on top of the buckets bottom. The bucket should be upside down in the hole in comparison to regular usage of a bucket. If your horizontal feed in line is causing the bucket to sit an angle then notch it so the bucket will fit down over it.

We have 5 gallon buckets galore to waste. PVC Pipe you have to spend money on. ;-)
Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/10/2011 21:24 (#1540133 - in reply to #1540097)

Rich, I do about the same, I cut the full bottom out of the bucket, notch it for horizontal pipe coming in. Set it over hyd. to ground level. Then pour the pea gravel to top of bucket, then take the lid that came with bucket, slit it to middle, cut your hole for upright pipe tight. Then slide it on, tap lid on bucket. Then back fill trench. I leave the handle on the bucket, if I ever have to work on it, I can just grab handle and lift it off pipe and hydrant. Gravel falls to bottom of trench.
John SD
Posted 1/10/2011 21:28 (#1540151 - in reply to #1540097)

Rich, I like your handy hint! That ranks right up there with your Versatile cupholder. I'll try to remember that tip for future reference. Last hydrant we buried without gravel because I forgot to bring it.
t-boss
Posted 1/10/2011 21:59 (#1540252 - in reply to #1540151)

sc ia
I like to put in a short piece of field tile along with the pea gravel.
Posted 1/11/2011 00:15 (#1540721 - in reply to #1540097)

west central Iowa
Rich - 1/10/2011 21:14

Now I will teach you another trick similar to that but you don't have to jack with screwing the hydrant back down.

Take a 5 gallon bucket and cut a hole out in the bottom of it big enough the hydrant bottom will go through. Now of course, the hole at the bottom of the bucket will be to big and allow dirt to fall back in down the space between the hole edge and the hydrant pipe.

Take scrap tin and cut a perfect sized hole for the hydrant pipe. Then slit it to one side so you can flex it and get it slid past the pipe and lay it flat on top of the buckets bottom. The bucket should be upside down in the hole in comparison to regular usage of a bucket. If your horizontal feed in line is causing the bucket to sit an angle then notch it so the bucket will fit down over it.

We have 5 gallon buckets galore to waste. PVC Pipe you have to spend money on. ;-)[/QUOTE

Good idea, but we have pigs, lambs, and calves for 4-H that all get fed all the time and watered sometimes with buckets and Mom yells at Dad if there aren't enough buckets for the kids and Dad likes to use buckets to store spare parts so buckets are like gold around here.
Ben D, N CA
Posted 1/10/2011 22:15 (#1540321 - in reply to #1539552)

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Rich, a company called ZURN makes a good one as well. I put in a bunch here when I bought the place, they have all held up great. Only ones that seem to drain correctly and never need adjusting. I'll agree about the cheap China ones, they aren't the tin cans they cast them out of.

So this year I extended some water lines and put in some new pens. Had the Mrs. go by the one plumbing supply store in town that sold them, and pick some up while she was in town. Made sure to have her specify she wanted the 'good' ones. She got them home, sure as hell they are a different brand, made in China. I loaded them back up and drove right back to town, keep in mind thats almost a 100 mile round trip. Needless to say I was hot by the time I got there. Store manager says that is the brand they carry now, had to cut costs. Guess they are cutting a customer now as well.

I use the loader to dig mine out as well, few minutes with the loader sure does give you a nice hole with lots of room to work... ;) Hell I used mine to bury 60' of waterline this year, makes kind of an ugly trench, more like a big ditch, but beats renting a trencher or hiring a backhoe. Being as how us one legged guys don't run a shovel worth a damn anyway.

One more trick. For the drain line I screw a short nipple into the drain hole, then slip four feet of old garden hose over it. Slice the hose lengthwise for the last three feet and lay it out sloping down in the hole. Keeps dirt out of the drain and gives you lots of surface area for the water to drain out of. Works like a charm... and you don't have to buy any of those expensive five gallon buckets. ;)

Edited by Ben D, N CA 1/10/2011 22:17
mlazyj
Posted 1/10/2011 22:45 (#1540454 - in reply to #1539552)

Sorry dude , never heard of a Ritchie hydrant . I color I.D. hydrants . the blue ones are junk , the yellows are so so , the orange ones are good .
Rich
Posted 1/11/2011 00:48 (#1540772 - in reply to #1540454)

Kansas
Add one to your list. Red's are junk as well.

Ritchies are yellow.
Jim
Posted 1/10/2011 22:53 (#1540492 - in reply to #1539552)
Subject: water hydrant - installation

Driftless SW Wisconsin

My Woodford/Iowa hydrants were installed by a excavation fellow who has put in my guess would be hundreds of them in WI. He does a super job. The Iowa hydrants are good but you also need to pay attention to detaails such as having enough sand and gravel at the base so that when you close the handle the drain back water has some place to go.  I likke to put a short piece of plastic tubing on the drain port to get it out a foot or so. Also use lots of sand at the bottom drain point.

another key is that this fellow that puts them in uses a piece of 4" PVC pipe over the outside. So on an 8ft Iowa hydrant he sets ity inside a 6ft long piece of 4" PVC. About 6" of this tube sticks above the ground. He drillas a hole in a 4" PVC cap then saws it in half and glues it on the topof the 6 ft 4" pipe with the hydrant caulked and sticking up maybe 2 ft above the cap. This outer tube prevents the electrolysis mentioned above since no soil is in contact with the pipe and also serves as a heat tube to let heat from deep down come up and keep the upper portion of the hydrant from freezing before it can drain.

I have never had a problem with any of the Iowa hydrants installed like this.

By the way I think they dip new Iowa hydrants in paint if this is the sticky one you were asking about above. It helps to scrape some of the paint off of the rod/moving parts etc with a knife on a new one.

Good luck. Working on hydrants is not fun this time of year. I would definitely stick with a US-made largely brass hydrant rather than a cost-reduced imported one. They are expensive but not near as expensive as putting in a replacement in the winter time.

Jimat Dawn

Edited by Jim 1/10/2011 22:56
dlerwick
Posted 1/11/2011 01:28 (#1540804 - in reply to #1539552)

Western Nebraska
All I use are the Woodfords. They are quite a bit more than any of the other brands. I have had to replace several of the heads because I have them on floats to fill tanks and I don't always remember to shut them off on the coldest nights. That is the only way I have ever had one freeze. We have fairly sandy soil here, so I have never needed to have gravel to get the thing to drain. Aside from my own forgetfulness causing them to freeze and crack, I have never had a problem with them coming apart or leaking. They are the only one I will install.
silagehauler
Posted 1/11/2011 14:02 (#1541716 - in reply to #1539552)

Wow, never thought something as simple as a HYDRANT would cause so much confusion with so many people.

Have a few Ritchies, get along good with them but they are out away from the building, for watering trees and such. That line gets shut off in the winter time, so can't say much about there frostproofness. Have a couple of Iowas, they are good but get shut off in the winter time also. Have one by the shop that stays on all year. Not sure what make it is, but it has 1/4 inch threads in the weep hole. That is a sweet hydrant. Threaded a hose in there, and poked a hole in the top of a coffe can to stick the hose through. Works really well, have never seen one like it.
dbmaguet
Posted 1/11/2011 21:59 (#1542809 - in reply to #1539552)

Ste. Rose, MB

Shouldn't freeze up if done correctly. We have a few Ritchie HYDRANTS and are in extreme cold & never had them freeze up. That's the only one that I would feel comfortable using/recommending. And we are FAR north.

jeremywj
Posted 1/11/2011 23:28 (#1543070 - in reply to #1539552)

EC ND
Nothing can save you from thirty below zero and forty mph winds. We like Ritchies, but thats just my opinion. Don't ever get a concrete one. They crack.....
Rich
Posted 1/12/2011 01:23 (#1543198 - in reply to #1543070)

Kansas
Never seen a concrete hydrant in my life.

Who would make a concrete HYDRANT?
John SD
Posted 1/12/2011 10:23 (#1543679 - in reply to #1543198)

Heh heh heh, Rich, I'm sure glad we finally got this HYDRANT thing ironed out. Even if it took us about a page to do it.

So what's the verdict? You gonna replace the Ritchie with a Iowa/Woodford? Is it this particular hydrant in the pics causing your current trouble or one like it? Seems like I remember this is an old pic you posted from a while back.

If the hydrant is not turned on and off frequently and a higher flow is desired maybe an underground curb stop/drain would be an option. I have 11 tire/fiberglass stock tanks with stop/drains and the float valves in the bottom of the tank. These are usable in winter because with no exposure to the air they won't freeze when left on like a hydrant. Another advantage of the stop/drain is it doesn't restrict water flow like a hydrant with a rod inside of it does. But it's more of hassle to keep a key handy to turn it on and off with. For the location in your pic just filling water buckets or hooking up a garden hose I'd stay with a hydrant.
Rich
Posted 1/12/2011 11:33 (#1543834 - in reply to #1543679)

Kansas
It's a different hydrant then the one pictured. It's at the feedlot at Dads. We use it to hydrant water across the drive to a bunch of fats that got a butcher date in a lil over a week. Doubtful its gonna get fixed for that short of time frame. Just keep dragging hose half way across the farm for the time being and then fix it in the spring.

Its a cheapy orscheln hydrant.

I gotta wonder if my wranglers I bought there yesterday are american made. I don't know which store houses more chinese junk these days. Orscheln's or Harbor freight.

Wish that farm store would just close its doors and we got something else in. Half the time they don't have what you need. Thier products are substandard for the most part and thier prices are outrageous anymore. Never in my life have I seen a supply of pvc pipe junctions that are never what you need or not enough of what anyone needs. That is the sorriest assed farm store brand name I have ever know in my life.
j doc
Posted 1/12/2011 12:06 (#1543907 - in reply to #1543834)
Subject: Rich

Michigan

Since I only read first part of your post - Could this be what your looking for? ( I have 4 Iowa Hyrants - the orange ones 15 - 20 years old no problems in Michigan)

Hydra

(hydra.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hydra.jpg (57KB - 797 downloads)
Rich
Posted 1/12/2011 16:41 (#1544374 - in reply to #1543907)
Subject: RE: Rich

Kansas
Well, If I had a pond and Godzilla close by I wouldn't have to worry about water nor would I worry about breaking the ice.

Now the loch ness monster mutated twin in fasionable SMASH Colors I'm not sure what I'd use for. Maybe something to enter in the 4H fair? ;-)
John SD
Posted 1/12/2011 14:25 (#1544157 - in reply to #1543834)

The locally owned/operated lumberyard affiliated with Trustworthy Hdwe used to pride themselves on stocking American made plumbing stuff. I think they are weakening on that now or more likely just isn't any Made in USA stuff to be found. I got a Hudson valve (still USA) and some related galvanized fittings to adapter kit the thing on to the hydrant at my last fiberglass water tank installation in a summer pasture. The galvanized fittings and Hudson valve used up most of a $70 bill.
Rich
Posted 1/12/2011 16:38 (#1544370 - in reply to #1544157)

Kansas
70 dollar bill?

Do you get 30 and 40 dollar bills for change at the bank with one of them? *GRIN*
Ben D, N CA
Posted 1/12/2011 14:30 (#1544166 - in reply to #1543834)
Subject: Hey Rich...

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Sorry to burst you bubble buddy, check the tag on them Wranglers. Seems about a year ago mine started to feel diffferent, sure as hell... Made in Costa Rica with USA fabric...

Rich
Posted 1/12/2011 16:37 (#1544366 - in reply to #1544166)
Subject: RE: Hey Rich...

Kansas
Your full of good tidings and joy today arn't you? LOL
John SD
Posted 1/12/2011 18:43 (#1544647 - in reply to #1544166)

Dang, I just looked at a new pair of good ol' 13MWZ I have on the shelf and still haven't worn. They have been around over a year. Yep, made in Costa Rica with US fabric. :-(

I used to buy the cheap Rustler brand made by Wrangler. At one time they were $10. The material was just too cheap and the measurements were too skimpy for my ..... ummmmm ..... full figure.

Edited by John SD 1/12/2011 18:45
Rich
Posted 1/12/2011 18:44 (#1544652 - in reply to #1544647)

Kansas
Well. The optimistic side of that is I have one fine look costa rican arse in those britches then. LOL.

jeremywj
Posted 1/12/2011 18:46 (#1544655 - in reply to #1543198)

EC ND
I can't think of the brand off hand. I would have to look in the bone pile. We bought five of them. They were concrete with insulation in them. Thought they would be indestructable from anything and would not rust away. They eroded quickly and would get cracked so they would draft cold air and freeze up. Only lasted prob five years. Think we only have one left in operation.
Rich
Posted 1/12/2011 18:55 (#1544679 - in reply to #1544655)

Kansas
Are you sure your not talking an automatic waterer?
John SD
Posted 1/12/2011 18:57 (#1544685 - in reply to #1544655)

Sorry Jeremy. It took a lot of us quite a while to figure out we are discussing freezeless hydrants in this thread, not automatic waterers. ;-)

The Ritchie hydrant thing evidently threw a lot of us and certainly was a new one on me. I learn something new every day at NAT!

Edited by John SD 1/12/2011 19:02
jeremywj
Posted 1/13/2011 00:58 (#1545618 - in reply to #1544685)

EC ND
I guess so!! My bad.
Rich
Posted 1/13/2011 01:09 (#1545623 - in reply to #1545618)

Kansas
It's cool. ;-)
Wildwood
Posted 1/13/2011 00:46 (#1545603 - in reply to #1539552)

WCMN
Merrill. Have 4 in daily use. 2 are on the north side of cattle sheds and they don't freeze. 7 foot bury. in west central MN. Had a another brand and it rusted off in 15 years. have had the Merrills from 2 to 22 years
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)