AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? Wiring a Thermostat - Furnace Fan Only
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Cross Country
Posted 12/9/2010 21:35 (#1477279)
Subject: ? Wiring a Thermostat - Furnace Fan Only

Ottawa, Ontario
I've installed an outside woodburning stove and I need to wire in a second thermostat to a forced-air furnace so I can contol the fan only.

I have no experience with Thermostats.

The manual says that 'G' controls the fan. So I wired 'G' on the tstat to 'G' on the furnace but haven't had any results.

Do I need a second wire to connect 'C' (common).

Edited by Cross Country 12/9/2010 21:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmechspector
Posted 12/9/2010 22:04 (#1477377 - in reply to #1477279)
Subject: Re: ? Wiring a Thermostat - Furnace Fan Only

ECMN
Whoa-- your trying to hit that dart board from a 100 yards. Need more info!! I'm guessing you'll have to complete a 24 volt circuit some way to energize the fan. I'm assuming the thermostat is outside on your stove and you have 2 wires running out to make the circuit. Now I'm the long range shooter need more info.
Cross Country
Posted 12/9/2010 22:14 (#1477402 - in reply to #1477279)

Ottawa, Ontario

Sorry....here's more info.

The outdoor stove is heating water that is circulating constantly through a loop and is running through a heat exchanger installed into the oil fired furnace in the house.

The existing thermostat in the house controls the oil furnace.

A second thermostat, in the house, is needed to simply run the fan in the furnace when there is a need for heat. (without starting the oil burner)

The existing thermostat will be set to a lower temp and will act as a backup in case the fire in the outside stove goes out.
andserco
Posted 12/9/2010 22:14 (#1477405 - in reply to #1477377)

Hillsboro,Texas
the "G" terminal on the t-stat is energized in the fan "on" or/and the cooling mode..if you are trying to energize the fan to assist the stove...you just connect the 'G" terminal on the t-sat to the "G" terminal or wire on you furnace...you also have to take the red from the "R" wire or terminal in you furnace to the "R" terminal on the t-stat. And run you fan constant in the "on" position...if you want to cycle it in the heating mode as your stove as first stage and your furnace as second stage....thats a whole different set up...your common inside your furnace should already be ready for the fan operation...
andserco
Posted 12/9/2010 22:18 (#1477417 - in reply to #1477402)

Hillsboro,Texas
just read your second post..that would be easy with one 2-stage t-stat and isolation relays but you will have to get somebody to do that knows what they doing....cuz of two power sources....
marlinpain
Posted 12/9/2010 22:22 (#1477428 - in reply to #1477279)

45 miles south spingfield il.
I was able to splice into wires in regular furnace, the ones that control fan. Both thermostats are side by side. Set the furnace 10 degrees colder than woodburner thermostat should work for ya. I decided to let the water circulate all the time- if not to cold the heat will rise without fan ( phantom heat) they call it, keeps room more comfortable . My guess is the woodburner will spoil you, good luck
GreenhouseGuy
Posted 12/9/2010 22:40 (#1477475 - in reply to #1477279)

Piedmont, NC
My guy put Aquastat on coil. If it ever goes below 120 degrees (Water temp on incoming line) gas will kick back on. It is low temp aquastat so it is adjustable on the up side. I have a 5 degree range so it will turn gas back off at 125 degrees. Only one termostat to worry with like that. And yes you will still get some heat at 120 degrees.
Cross Country
Posted 12/9/2010 23:03 (#1477562 - in reply to #1477279)

Ottawa, Ontario
I wonder if this will work ?

I found this on a DIY site.

•RH - This wire comes from the 24VAC transformer on the heating system.
•RC - This wire comes from the 24VAC transformer on the air-conditioning system.
•W - This wire comes from the relay that turns on the heating system.
•Y - This wire comes from the relay that turns on the cooling system.
•G - This wire comes from the relay that turns on the fan.

If I wire the tstat to just the RH and the G - BUT NOT W - I should be able to energize the fan and not turn on the burner when it calls for heat. ?
Farms With CASE
Posted 12/10/2010 08:08 (#1477895 - in reply to #1477279)
Subject: RE: ? Wiring a Thermostat - Furnace Fan Only

North Liberty and South Bend, Indiana
I have a two stage stat. First stage kicks on the fan only when in heat mode. Second kicks in burner when stat drops 1 degree. Set it at 73 and fan kicks on to keep it there. Fire goes out (retard forgets to put wood on!) and the gas fire kicks in and heats back to 73 and then shuts off. Will have to look at wireing to see how I did it.
Iowacornfarmer
Posted 12/10/2010 13:50 (#1478403 - in reply to #1477562)

That is how mine is wired. Get 24 volt from red and green is fan.
Cross Country
Posted 12/12/2010 21:25 (#1482675 - in reply to #1477279)

Ottawa, Ontario
Finished this project today....It was easier than I thought.

2-wire thermostat ($15.00) wired it to either side of the on-off switch for the fan right on the furnace and it was a done deal. Works perfect.
bgleich
Posted 2/7/2012 10:04 (#2211139 - in reply to #1482675)

Hey Cross Country.
I think I just found a new best friend. I am adding an add-on wood furnace this week to my existing gas furnace. Like you, I want to use my furnace fan to move the warm air provided by the wood burner. Am I understanding you correctly? You added a second thermostat (I would guess in close proximity of your main thermostat) that is hooked to the main furnace, tapping into the existing thermostat wires. For the sake of understanding, you then set your second thermostat at a desired temperature and the main thermostat a couple of degrees lower. When the house needs heat, the second thermostat turns on the furnace fan moving warm air from your boiler. Then, if someone forgets to add wood to the boiler and the fire goes out, the main thermostat calls for heat and ignites the main furnace. Did I get that right? If so, did you run a second set of 2-wire to the new thermostat or did you just pigtail off of the original wires? I hope to me installing mine over the weekend. Thanks, Bob
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)