AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kagen, here's those one row picker pictures!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cotton Picker
Posted 12/6/2010 00:29 (#1470378)
Subject: Kagen, here's those one row picker pictures!!

Holly Island, AR
Kagen, I dug in the scan's and found a few of these. Neat thing about this kind of picker, my grandfather could plow, plant and pick his crop with the same H farmall. You had to turn the gears around in the transmisson so it would go backwards, then it just mounted under the picker. The last pick here is the last picture ever took of the old one row, he and I took the H out from under it right after this. As a kid, i wanted that H to play with on the farm. If i could go back, i'd still have this picker fully restored. One day in 1984, he greased the old picker up, and joined my dad one day with his JD 299. That old picker could still get it done, and it outpicked the JD in a bad way....lol. Wish we still had it.

(scan0046.jpg)

(scan0048.jpg)

(scan0045.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments scan0046.jpg (25KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments scan0048.jpg (42KB - 133 downloads)
Attachments scan0045.jpg (35KB - 141 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
westnfarmer
Posted 12/6/2010 04:34 (#1470464 - in reply to #1470378)
Subject: RE: Kagen, here's those one row picker pictures!!

N W Tennessee
Love the old pictures. Lots of memories . Thanks
bgunzy
Posted 12/6/2010 08:32 (#1470601 - in reply to #1470378)
Subject: Re: Kagen, here's those one row picker pictures!!

Humeston, IA
Wow, great pics - it's good to see where we've come from in terms of technology so we can appreciate what we have now. We are truely standing on the shoulders of giants - especially guys like your grandfather who probably thought he was in "high cotton" as compared to picking it by hand as he probably did when he was a boy.
conservation cop
Posted 12/6/2010 09:20 (#1470682 - in reply to #1470378)

Gettysburg, PA
How wide are cotton rows planted?  From the looks of that picture, they must be pretty wide.
7110mag
Posted 12/6/2010 10:28 (#1470793 - in reply to #1470682)

Owens Cross Roads, AL
Most of them here were on 38-40" rows. The picker straddled one row while it picked one, after you got the field opened you would straddle a picked row. It was slow compared to todays standards, but a whole lot faster than dragging a 9' pick sack down each middle. Wilson
7110mag
Posted 12/6/2010 09:22 (#1470686 - in reply to #1470378)

Owens Cross Roads, AL
I love the old pictures, reminds me when I was a boy. There is a farmer south of Athens, AL that still picks his first bale of the season with a old one row picker, then he switches over to his large picker. Wilson
kagen
Posted 12/6/2010 11:15 (#1470853 - in reply to #1470686)
Subject: Thanks so much, that is truly interesting. When mom and dad

Panhandle of Ne.
first started farming in eastern N. M. in the early 50's, they had a 2 row pull type Oliver cotton stripper and pulled a 3-4 bale cotton trailer behind all that. Made it real interesting turning around on the end. It would place the cotton in the very front of the trailer and would have to be pitched back with forks and then tromped down as to make the trailer hold as much as possible. Then in the early 60's they got a JD 3010 diesel and graduated up to a mounted IH #21 stripper which still placed the cotton at the front of the trailer. Then they traded the #21 for a mounted #22 stripper and somebody finally came up with a added on fan system that would at least get the cotton about halfway towards the back of the trailer. Then I wonder why I have back problems today. LOL.
milofarmer1
Posted 12/6/2010 11:59 (#1470909 - in reply to #1470853)
Subject: RE: Thanks so much, that is truly interesting. When mom and dad

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
We've got some old pictures and old home movies of my dad and brother running their first IH stripper like you are describing. Dad driving and uncle forking in the trailer. That was in the very early 70s. One neighbor bought a brand new IH tractor mount about that time and told my dad, "That ought to be the biggest stripper I will ever need."

They used that same system until the late 70s when they bought a new Hesston tractor mount with the basket on top. My uncle actually used that stripper right up until the early 2000s when the tractor finally wore out. I can't imagine how much cotton that thing stripped.
alafarmer
Posted 12/6/2010 15:37 (#1471177 - in reply to #1470378)

some of you will appriciate what i am saying. I can remember my dad had a 2010 JD, i was 16 or less in age, and remember picking cotton and it begain to snow. If anyone on here ever run an old JD one row cotton picker it felt like you were 20 ft in the air. Well i was wraped up to where all you could see was the white of my eyes. I have thought of that day a thousand times and how hard my father had to work back then. I was young and full of milk back then and didnt care which way the wind blew. But that picker was a pain in the butt to put on and off of tractor. But that one row picker replaced about 25 hand pickers and a lot of those pickers were blacks that lived in a small coummunity nearby and sadly to say the last of those that i knew real well and really liked passed on a couple af years ago. That lady i will never forget, miss Ulman is what her name was, one great lady and a friend to my mother and father. I farmed land close to her house and stopped by and visted her several times as years passed, a good lady. Old memories you cant forget and should not forget who helped us along the way.
Cotton Picker
Posted 12/6/2010 19:41 (#1471581 - in reply to #1471177)

Holly Island, AR
You are so right, like somebody said on here earlier, we truly are standing on of the shoulders of giants. My grandfather there, was one of the hardest working men i've ever known or met. He was sort of a pioneer in this neighborhood at one time, he was the first to try new technologies. When those old pics were taken, he was considered a "big" farmer. As the years passed, he retired one of the smaller one's, but i don't guess he ever knew what a farm loan was. We could all learn a thing or to about how he and others managed things.
ricefarmer14
Posted 12/6/2010 17:19 (#1471274 - in reply to #1470378)

East Arkansas
Great Pics. We had an old one setup on old chemical barrels and sadly it was cut up for scrap. It would've been nice to have it fixed up.
cotman
Posted 12/7/2010 09:01 (#1472585 - in reply to #1470378)

NW Tennessee
My dad had a one row JD picker. I remember it being mounted on a 3010 or 3020, he had one of both. Was it possible it could have been mounted on a 60 before that? I'm thinking it was. Picked in reverse and got down under the basket and drove it forward down the road. He did a lot of custom picking back in the early 60's, I think he was one of the first around here to have a mechanical picker.  Bought a JD 299 in late 60's, maybe 1970. The old one row (99?) sat on a wooden rack out by the shed for years before it was cut up and sold for scrap. I barely remember it in the field, but I sure played on it a lot when it was hanging on that rack. Pop never was one for pictures so I don't know if there is even one pic of it anywhere. I just started taking more farm pictures myself in the last five years or so, sure wish I had started sooner.
muddrunner
Posted 12/7/2010 22:49 (#1473928 - in reply to #1472585)

Westphalia Texas [central texas]
A friend of mine has one maybe two, a few years ago he went to the trouble of planting a little of cotton at the local tractor show in Temple , Texas and he picked cotton during the show. I have picked and stripped cotton with everything you can think of , but the one I'm trying to forget is with a mounted basket brush stripper ( no. 31 I think ) and a 560 farmall, I'm wondering what heaven is like because I already have been to H-ll
kagen
Posted 12/7/2010 23:42 (#1474045 - in reply to #1473928)

Panhandle of Ne.
Yea, our first basket type stripper was a JD 282. Of course, no cab on the tractor, all that trash/dirt falling down on top of you, plus diesel smoke equal sinus problems for life!!!! It was a great day when they came out with the JD 283 where you could mount them on a tractor with a cab and heater. That was heaven on earth. Back then, it seemed like we had some real cold falls when we were stripping cotton.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)