AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freightliner will not build up air pressure?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tomosakis
Posted 12/1/2010 06:00 (#1462677)
Subject: Freightliner will not build up air pressure?

Osakis, MN

New to us truck wouldn't build up pressure for me yesterday.  Needed to move it to get to the snowblower.  Compressor sounds like it has a knocking sound and it's pretty hot to the touch.  I started the truck and left it for about 15 minutes, did a few other things and when I went to move it the alarms were buzzing and the air gauge had not moved a bit.  Could there be an open valve or something?  I'm pretty much a truck virgin so pardon my ignorance!  Engine is 370 hp M11+ if that makes a difference.  And the truck has been here for a couple months, and never had a previous problem.  The air temp outside was probably about 17 degrees so there could be a ice issue possibly too.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
breken
Posted 12/1/2010 06:22 (#1462686 - in reply to #1462677)
Subject: Re: Freightliner will not build up air pressure?

Flora Indiana
There is good chance there is ice in the main line from the pump to your air tanks. Had this happen to us before. We took the line loose from the the pump and dumped some air line deicer in it. Good luck!
5250JB
Posted 12/1/2010 06:46 (#1462703 - in reply to #1462677)
Subject: RE: Freightliner will not build up air pressure?

Jerseyville,IL
Check air governor on side of compressor.
Check for ice in airlines . If truck has
air dryer check for air to dryer. First bet would be
air governor .
JB
hillfarmer
Posted 12/1/2010 07:20 (#1462737 - in reply to #1462703)

if the line to the air dryer is froze
the relief on the compressor would blow

I am guessing there is a leak at the dryer
Thud
Posted 12/1/2010 07:47 (#1462766 - in reply to #1462737)

Near-north Ontario, French River
I'll second Brekens theory. Sounds like you are froze up between the compressor and first air tank . You said the compressor is hot to the touch so that tells me its trying to build pressure , but the airs not getting to the tanks as shown by the pressure gauges.. Remove the line from the top of the compressor, pour some airline anti freeze in , let sit for a couple minutes and fire it up. If its builds pressure then I suggest getting the truck into a warm shop to let any residual ice melt out of the lines, and tanks. Then drain all the air from the tanks to remove the moisture. If you plan on using the truck in the winter you might want to add a dryer system , or at the very least an alcohol system to the truck to prevent the problem in the future.
flinkster
Posted 12/1/2010 07:57 (#1462779 - in reply to #1462677)

Osnabrock ND
I'm gonna say the air dryer is froze. Have had this happen a few times. Take the two lines off of dryer and hook them together. Have done this to get by. It's easy to take line off from compressor to check if air is getting to dryer.
tommyw-5088
Posted 12/1/2010 09:12 (#1462901 - in reply to #1462779)

south Texas , York Rife Freemason
Take line off compressor fisrt , see if it is pumping , have engine off and zero air pressure when you do this .

Sounds like ice to me too .

RodInNS
Posted 12/1/2010 12:15 (#1463159 - in reply to #1462677)

You've got a frozen airline. My old COE would freeze the mainline at a brass elbow where it was bolted to the clutch housing. Regardless... you need some air brake antifreeze. What I do is get a spray bottle and pour some brake antifreeze (which is basically methyl hydrate with some rubber conditioners) in the bottle and set it to spray a fine mist. Then remove the intake hose from the compressor (it's probably hooked to the intake manifold on the engine)... then start the engine and spray a mist of alcohol into the compressor intake. A very small amount as you don't want to hydro lock the compressor! Doing this a bit at a time until it thaws will work.
You can also dump the alcohol into the line to the tank if it's easy to remove... but mine wasn't so I misted it into the compressor. It thawed in a couple minutes.

Rod
tomosakis
Posted 12/1/2010 17:29 (#1463569 - in reply to #1462677)

Osakis, MN
Thanks for the replies, I went to town today to get a few things one of those being airline antifreeze,  came home with everthing I needed and then some, except I forgot to get the antifreeze.  I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I get old, if I can't remember anything already!! I was going to get it, right after I made a stop at Wally World, after being in there for a few minutes I just wanted to be done shopping I guess!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)