AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using hydraulic hose for low pressure propane
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 11/28/2010 15:57 (#1458141)
Subject: Using hydraulic hose for low pressure propane

I have to move a couple furnaces in our hog shed and I need a short hose to get from the main supply to the black pipe that goes to the new location. This is on the low pressure side so something like hydraulic hose would more than handle the pressure, but would the rubber spec for hydraulic hose pretty much cover propane (ie. would propane be harder on hydraulic hoses than hydraulic fluid?). I have lots of short hydraulic hose laying around that I'd like to use up rather than go to the expensive propane parts store and get a hose made. Also, copper flex pipe won't work in the pig enviroment - corrodes away pretty quickly.

Thanks,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Notazo6
Posted 11/28/2010 16:19 (#1458155 - in reply to #1458141)
Subject: Re: Using hydraulic hose for low pressure propane

South Central South Dakota
Should be alright i have used several short and even some longer hydrolic hoses for my propane cattle waters and used them for several years without issues or leaks
mhalter
Posted 11/28/2010 17:08 (#1458214 - in reply to #1458141)
Subject: RE: Using hydraulic hose for low pressure propane

Vincennes, IN
I asked the pretty much the same question about a year ago, although in my application it would have been a high pressure line. The consenus was that the skin on a hydraulic hose will not allow the gas to permeate and therefore the hose would, over time, swell up like a ballon and eventually pop. LPG hose is pricked to allow the gas to escape.
campbell
Posted 11/28/2010 17:08 (#1458215 - in reply to #1458141)

CENTRAL ILLINIOS
There was a good discussion on this thread
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=152768&Display...
or if that does not work search propane hose
Jon Hagen
Posted 11/28/2010 17:12 (#1458221 - in reply to #1458155)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
May be OK on low pressure. By low pressure, do you mean 12 psi or the low low pressure (11 inches water column, about 1/2 psi ? ).

I once used hyd hose on full tank pressure liquid propane. That was a near disaster. I used 1 inch hyd hose on the liquid line from the vaporizer to first stage regulator on a grain dryer.
Full tank pressure seeped through the hyd hose rubber until it balooned and punctured the outer hose rubber.
Water from rain and cold propane sweating got into the punctured hose jacket and eventually rusted off the steel wire reinforcing in the hose.
When I noticed the problem, the hose looked about ready to give birth to twins.
Had that bubble burst, it would have released aprox 5 gallons of liquid propane about 20 ft from the dryer burners.

That episode convinced me to never use steel reinforced hose on high pressure propane.
Pat H
Posted 11/28/2010 17:58 (#1458291 - in reply to #1458221)

I'm talking about low pressure - 11" water - after the regulators and I'm pretty sure even this hydraulic hose has a steel wire running through it. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I may just use the hydraulic hose to get things going and order something from dultmeier once we get pigs settled.

Thanks,

Pat
E718
Posted 11/28/2010 18:04 (#1458306 - in reply to #1458141)

Sac & Story county IA
It won't work for long. It seems like the products are both petroleum and would be compatible, but propane will work it's way through hydraulic hose. I will use hydraulic hose to transfer propane to fill a small tank or forklift on a temporary basis but not permanent install.
dewgubbe
Posted 11/28/2010 18:16 (#1458324 - in reply to #1458141)

Northeast Nebraska
We've had a 3/4 hyd. hose running from regulator to our hotsy power washer. Its 11" water column. Its 3 years old and shows no signs of deterioration.
tommyw-5088
Posted 11/28/2010 20:09 (#1458559 - in reply to #1458324)

south Texas , York Rife Freemason
We have a real good hydraulic shop a few miles away , the guy is sharp on all kinds of hoses ,fittings .

He said to not use hydraulic hose on a propane tractor ,he keeps propane hose in stock ,and will make a real propane hose with crimp fittings .

Im convinced to use the right hose .
Gifford
Posted 11/28/2010 20:37 (#1458623 - in reply to #1458141)

East Kansas, DeSoto
Me too, "I'm convinced to use the right hose ." Some propane gases have impurities that will effect. Gifford
PeteMN
Posted 11/28/2010 20:43 (#1458643 - in reply to #1458291)

E.Central MN
Not a good idea to use non-approved propane equipment inside a building. If there was a fire or explosion it might be enough for your insurance company to deny coverage.
mmaddox
Posted 11/28/2010 20:53 (#1458663 - in reply to #1458559)

The issue is what is called hydraulic hose. There are hoses used for oil that are suitable for LP (and other fluids) and some that are not. A little checking will go a long way.
Mike SE IL
Posted 11/28/2010 21:14 (#1458721 - in reply to #1458141)
Subject: RE: Using hydraulic hose for low pressure propane

West Union, Illinois

Pat H - would the rubber spec for hydraulic hose pretty much cover propane
NO!

This is not the time to be a fiscally conservative agricultural producer (ie: tight-***** farmer).  The risk is too high for what it will cost to do it correctly.   The hose needs to be the right stuff and have propane stamped, molded, etc on the outside.  It probably wont make a bit of difference, but if there ever is a problem the insurance company is going to be looking for any possible error to get out of it.

There are legitimate reasons for all of it, but the truth is you can't afford not to spend a few extra dollars and do it correctly.

rambo
Posted 11/28/2010 22:37 (#1458903 - in reply to #1458291)

Remsen, Iowa
There is nothing more permanent than something done temporarily, to get by f or a short time.
Pat H
Posted 11/29/2010 07:42 (#1459179 - in reply to #1458721)

Ok Mike, this part of the move only needs pipe thread so the short hydraulic hoses came to mind and I thought it worthwhile to see if low pressure propane was spec'd below hydraulic fluid in the world of hoses. Not only was I being cheap, I was being too lazy to drive the 40 miles to the fantastically expensive propane shop (no hat, not even complimentary old burnt coffee). My thought was they would just hand me a piece of low pressure fuel line with hose clamped secured ends.

Too bad it's not quite warm enough for a bike trip.

Thanks,

Pat
pudding
Posted 11/29/2010 13:23 (#1459546 - in reply to #1458141)

Somewhereville, Earth
propane will work its way through the membrane of the hose, never be leakless

you need the propane hose with the stainless antistatic wire in it, not steel braided hyd hose

please do it properly
pudding
Posted 11/29/2010 13:24 (#1459550 - in reply to #1458141)

Somewhereville, Earth
propane will work its way through the membrane of the hose, never be leakless

you need the propane hose with the stainless antistatic wire in it, not steel braided hyd hose

please do it properly
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)