AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This isn't what I wanted to read this morning about beets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nar
Posted 8/15/2010 20:45 (#1317226 - in reply to #1317104)
Subject: RE: pollination of table beets and swiss chard

Wyoming
They are very careful about where they have the seed beets so no one else gets any of the other genetic traits. Not just things like RR, but breeding for resistance to disease and many things. They don't want their different seeds cross pollinating, and certainly don't want the other companies to get any free genetics, so they are careful and keep them isolated. I would say they have a good track record since they started breeding RR seed back around 96. The supposedly concerned never knew about it and never complained until they did. They just like to cry what if. Organic farmers love to demonize normal farmers to make themselves look better, never realizing that eventually the hippies would like even them to go out of business too.

The only place that can even be a concern is in the seed production area, they harvest the seed in the second year. We harvest beets the first year, so we never get the seed or pollen. I do think some companies are considering moving away from the hippies for a less hostile growing area. Of course since the media is trying to get rid of US farmers it's hard to find an area where there isn't some hippy that thinks farmers are all evil pawns of monsanto.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)