AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What do you think of this Gooseneck Trailer?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 7/27/2010 14:57 (#1290250)
Subject: What do you think of this Gooseneck Trailer?

Have looked at a few brands. Like the low-pro idea. Like the locking chain box. This one is not visible but has two ramps with the center pop up. Length is 25+5. 20+5 is too short and too much weight on truck I believe. Has a step and grab handle and torque tube. One other is way farther but powder coated. One guy around here that pulls the Elite really likes them. Other brand is Becker. Have looked at about 20 websites and sort of came up with these.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JKneese
Posted 7/27/2010 15:23 (#1290268 - in reply to #1290250)
Subject: Re: What do you think of this Gooseneck Trailer?

Yorktown, TX
Elite was good, but they are the same price as they were a couple of years ago. What are they asking if you don't mind? I use X-cel, but since I bought mine, they have resorted to Chinese components and rebuilt axles to keep their price down. I will not be buying another one. I hope Elite is not doing the same. I think I'll end up with Hay King, PJ, or a Neckover. You will like the low-pro with the torque tube. I would compare the price of a 27+5. It is usually only about $200 difference, and you have a little extra room for stuff. We use ours (X-cel) to haul tractors up to 140 hp, backhoes, hay, and we have put a D-41P Komatsu dozer on it. I love it compared to a truck and trailer. JMO. Good luck, and if you could share the price, that would be great.

JKneese

Edited by JKneese 7/27/2010 15:30
avaitor
Posted 7/27/2010 17:33 (#1290361 - in reply to #1290250)

South of Springfield IL
I have the same trailer except mine is a bumper hitch. Pulls nice, brakes, and lights work OK. What I don't like is when I fold over my ramps the ear hits the rear lights. My ramps are movable and when moving the left ramp it is easy to break off the lic. plate light. Cost is around 7600.
Posted 7/27/2010 18:01 (#1290379 - in reply to #1290268)

JKneese - 7/27/2010 14:23

Elite was good, but they are the same price as they were a couple of years ago. What are they asking if you don't mind? I use X-cel, but since I bought mine, they have resorted to Chinese components and rebuilt axles to keep their price down. I will not be buying another one. I hope Elite is not doing the same. I think I'll end up with Hay King, PJ, or a Neckover. You will like the low-pro with the torque tube. I would compare the price of a 27+5. It is usually only about $200 difference, and you have a little extra room for stuff. We use ours (X-cel) to haul tractors up to 140 hp, backhoes, hay, and we have put a D-41P Komatsu dozer on it. I love it compared to a truck and trailer. JMO. Good luck, and if you could share the price, that would be great.

JKneese

Asking price is $7700. Might be a bit of a cash discount. I like the low pro because you put a cab tractor on there and it's getting close to height.

These are the other guys I was looking at. I think this looks like a nice trailer. They will deliver for $200 so if the others won't come close it looks like just as good of a trailer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SALE-30-LO-PRO-TANDEM-DUAL-GOOSENECK-TRAILER-22...
jdgreen8410
Posted 7/27/2010 18:56 (#1290417 - in reply to #1290250)

central indiana
i just sold my corn pro and loved ot. i think i will try a kaufman just like the one pictured.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/27/2010 19:17 (#1290430 - in reply to #1290250)
Subject: RE: What do you think of this Gooseneck Trailer?

Chebanse, IL.....

Aaron

They both look like good trailers to me. I'd think you'd want a 3rd ramp for whichever you end up with, especially for tricycle tractors. I assume they're 102" wide? Also, I wish someone had a better choice for the dropleg jacks. If they had stainless steel components in them or something it would help. Salt corrosion makes them a real headache at times, I think. If they made an all ss jack, I might even consider that. Also, you might consider the heavier axles, which sometimes means larger tires, which might get tricky on the lo-pro types.

You're right though, in the long run the lo-pro style makes for better usage, I think.

Pofarmer
Posted 7/27/2010 19:31 (#1290439 - in reply to #1290430)

I think Ron has given good advice. I've got a 40' gooseneck with 12.5K axles and heavy brakes. The heavy duty 10K's are supposed to have the same brakes, they will STOP. Make sure, if they are 10K, they have the larger brakes.
Posted 7/27/2010 20:04 (#1290477 - in reply to #1290430)

Ron..NE ILL..10/48 - 7/27/2010 18:17

Aaron

They both look like good trailers to me. I'd think you'd want a 3rd ramp for whichever you end up with, especially for tricycle tractors. I assume they're 102" wide? Also, I wish someone had a better choice for the dropleg jacks. If they had stainless steel components in them or something it would help. Salt corrosion makes them a real headache at times, I think. If they made an all ss jack, I might even consider that. Also, you might consider the heavier axles, which sometimes means larger tires, which might get tricky on the lo-pro types.

You're right though, in the long run the lo-pro style makes for better usage, I think.

It's big debate to me which would be better. 3rd ramp or popup? Some days I think the ramp would be more work and be in the way. And like you mention it would be nice for NF tractors....though I have cheated and loaded them with two ramps.

Did not know the jacks got that bad? They probably are import which doesn't help.

Forgot that Jim W. Sr. sells the Elite's at StAnne. Called him and he has 4 new ones. I'm going to look at them tomorrow. He says he has had a IH 4386 and Versatile 4wd on his! Claims he added a 6th spring at K3 spring. I'm not so sure I'm too worried about them after talking to him.
Posted 7/27/2010 20:10 (#1290488 - in reply to #1290439)

Pofarmer - 7/27/2010 18:31

I think Ron has given good advice. I've got a 40' gooseneck with 12.5K axles and heavy brakes. The heavy duty 10K's are supposed to have the same brakes, they will STOP. Make sure, if they are 10K, they have the larger brakes.

Just out of curiosity I went to Dexter and looked and it looks like they use the same brake components. I pull a similar trailer and they are sure nice but sure would rather have the lo-pro.
Stacy
Posted 7/27/2010 21:33 (#1290615 - in reply to #1290477)

Triplett / Brunswick MO / Brookfield
It depends how you are going to use it, but the third ramp causes some problems. We cut ours off of our first 25 + 5, and didn't order the second trailer with the ramp. Some tractors draw bars will hang up on the ramp if they are backed on. Some equipment with low tongues will catch on the middle ramp as well. We do have the pop up between the ramps.

No matter who's trailer you buy, I might make a suggestion that will help make the deck last longer. Would treatment isn't as good as it used to be. Even though we keep our trailers inside when not in use, the last one I bought I put four coats of oil on the boards. If you let it set out in the sun, on a hot day, the wood will really soak up 10 wt or cheap hydrualic fluid. Give it one coat the first day, and another the next day. Put enough on that some will reach the sides of the boards. I pulled the trailer inside each night to keep the dew off. The third and fourth coat I applied at different times, two or three weeks later, a few days apart. The thin oil will soak in, and after several days in the sun the deck won't be oily. At least mine hasn't been oily.
Roehm Farms
Posted 7/27/2010 23:32 (#1290875 - in reply to #1290477)

Highland co. Ohio
How about hydraulic dove, just bought one of these. http://www.coyotetrailers.net/index.html Its done, I just need to pick it up.
JKneese
Posted 7/27/2010 23:33 (#1290877 - in reply to #1290477)

Yorktown, TX
I have both. One with a pop up and one with a third ramp. The pop up is nicer. The 3rd ramp is a pain in the a$$ because you have to unfold it everytime you put a piece of equipment on it, and a backhoe will bend the crud out of it. The pop up is stronger (depending on how it is made), and if you need a 3rd ramp for trikes just weld a piece of angle iron on the back channel (they might do it) and use a BP lowboy ramp. No biggy, and you don't have to deal with the 3rd ramp everytime........just when you need it.

JKneese
farmerkirk
Posted 7/28/2010 00:59 (#1290974 - in reply to #1290877)

SC Kansas
I think a guy on Craigslist in OK is selling a 25+5 just like one in the pic for 6495. Trying to get a guy to buy my heavy old low boy so, I can buy one.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)