AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

477 gas Ford truck engine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Red Blood
Posted 7/20/2010 22:42 (#1281555)
Subject: 477 gas Ford truck engine

Eastern Nebraska
I have a truck spotted with this engine. Are they any good? Its a twin screw with what looks like a 4 and 3 transmission. I know it won't be a power house but would it make a good silage truck for short hauls; less than five miles?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jon Hagen
Posted 7/20/2010 23:08 (#1281619 - in reply to #1281555)
Subject: Re: 477 gas Ford truck engine

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Thirsty but reliable old engines.

Edited by Jon Hagen 7/20/2010 23:40
Stacy
Posted 7/21/2010 01:36 (#1281832 - in reply to #1281619)

Triplett / Brunswick MO / Brookfield
I was going to suggest that you make sure you're carrying plenty of fuel
RodInNS
Posted 7/21/2010 08:20 (#1281974 - in reply to #1281832)

Just have the oil truck follow you around with a full compartment...

Seriously... are decent tandems THAT expensive that one needs to punish themselves with a Ford 477?

ROd
JonND
Posted 7/21/2010 08:29 (#1281985 - in reply to #1281832)

EC North Dakota
Good engine when in good condition. Had one in LN 880. Be careful how you check coolant level if in this style of truck. Mine had a visual bubble on the side of the radiator that showed when to proper level, you have to remove the small hose at the radiator neck to check the level, if you do not the bubble will not show the correct coolant level. Mine required a tune up every couple years, very hard on spark plugs even after installing electronic ignition. The electronic ignition made a lot of difference.

Check to see if it has the cartridge or spin on oil filter. There is a conversion to spin on that simply bolts on that is almost a must as most that had the cartridge type were very touchy to change cartridge and get proper seal. Dealers here even had problems doing it correctly.

Yes they are a thursty engine on fuel but have good power.

I had to remove both thermostats in order for it to quit spitting coolant when idling after being worked. The thermostats are on the top of the engine and not the most pleasant to get at the front one.

If you notice the engine starting to use a lot of oil or very short of power you may want to consider putting in a rebuilt. Do this before it blows as the rebuilders want the block to make into a 534. These blocks are no longer made.

I am not knocking the engine just some tips I have for you if you decide on the truck.
jthurston
Posted 3/21/2011 10:47 (#1681775 - in reply to #1281985)

Do you know the part number of this conversion or were I could find one. I have a L900 spray truck that I have fought with this for years. even after I think it is sealed good I have came in from spraying to find it leaking.

"Check to see if it has the cartridge or spin on oil filter. There is a conversion to spin on that simply bolts on that is almost a must as most that had the cartridge type were very touchy to change cartridge and get proper seal. Dealers here even had problems doing it correctly. "
jthurston
Posted 3/28/2011 16:19 (#1695499 - in reply to #1681775)

This is a reply to myself it might come in handy to someone else that has this engine and problem. After much searching I bought an A-DKPN6882A conversion kit for Ford tractors that used the same filter element. I had to have a local machine shop make two modification to make the kit work. 1 they had to turn the center of the filter base smaller also centering it as the casting was slightly off center until it fit in the adapter. 2 they had to retread the adapter bolt to match the threads in the original filter base, It was plenty thick enough it just had to be turned down and shortened. For $95 conversion kit and $135 of machine work it turned out very well. I hope this information saves someone else a few hours.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)