AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much is pipeline easement worth?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tex
Posted 7/16/2010 21:07 (#1276234)
Subject: How much is pipeline easement worth?

Panda Industries wants to run a 20 inch natural gas pipe line through my property.How much is common to ask per mile of pipeline permanent 50ft easement?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
95h
Posted 7/16/2010 21:58 (#1276299 - in reply to #1276234)
Subject: RE: the MOON !

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

easements are worse then death and taxes they are FOREVER.

GET EVERYTHING in W.R.I.T.I.N.G !! 
 (pay zero attention to verbal promises. They are not worth the paper they are written on

Have it in writing exactly who can use the easement. Only YOURSELF and the Company who holds the easement.  NO ONE ELSE, even if the company says it's ok. Otherwise you will have every other tom dick and harry useing the easement. Especially if there is a ROAD involved. I would have it in WRITING,, (if a road is involved) THEY MUST have both signs at least 3x6 foot big stating NO TRESSPASSING PRIVATE PROPERTY at each end of the road AND a secure Gate at each end that ONLY YOU and the Company has keys to.

You want to spell out exactly when they can and can not do "routine maintaince" especially if there is a crop growing,, upfront in writing the will compensate you for the FULL MARKET PRICE of any CROP GROWING.

IF/When they are going to put in the pipeline,, THEY MUST remove ALL the topsoil least 4-5 feet down place on the side, then dig for the pipeline, then refill around the pipeline. THEN replace the topsoil over the top of the "dig line".  (or however many feet of topsoil you may have)  If they want to put in the pipeline make it so it will NOT be at their Leisure. If you are prevented from growing a crop because of their doinking around,, You will be compenstated for ALL acres impacted by their installation.  Including any adjacent lands unable to be accessed because of the pipeline installation.

I would have in writing if they abandon the line for any reason, the easement ceases totally at that point. The easement can not be sold-traded-given away-etc. to anyone else by the company.

Any and ALL damages from any explosion, etc... to your property/crops/buildings/personal/etc. will be compensated in full at full replacement value.

ANY decrease in market value of your property from said pipeline will be compensated by the Company at FULL MARKET VALUE.  (say you decide to sell part next to the easement, and the buyer say's  "Natural Gas pipeline?,,, I won't pay what you're asking I refuse to live next to a pipeline..(( or some such..))

Easements are worse then even a divorce !! Least in a divorce worst case senerio you stop paying child support when they are adults,, or,, alimony stops when she dies or remarries..

Easements are an eternity !!!

msb
Posted 7/16/2010 23:42 (#1276475 - in reply to #1276234)
Subject: Re: How much is pipeline easement worth?

Lapel, In
Go for free gas (if you can use it)for the life of the agreement.
pat-michigan
Posted 7/16/2010 23:50 (#1276486 - in reply to #1276234)
Subject: RE: How much is pipeline easement worth?

Thumb of Michigan
Just talking with a neighbor last week about mineral rights, and pipelines came up. He was potentially going to have a pipeline running across him after some gas wells hit 25 yrs ago. Long story but anyway he brought up something I'd never considered- he found out after the ink was dry on his leases that the pipeline may or may not have been buried in his case. It was going to run at a 45 degree angle across a whole bunch of his land. Picture a big pipeline at an angle across your farm that's a foot or 3 ABOVE ground. Man, he was glad that things didn't work out.
Russ In Idaho
Posted 7/17/2010 02:42 (#1276581 - in reply to #1276234)
Subject: RE: Tex, e-mail me, and I will give you a phone number to call me on

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
My e-mail is in my profile. I'm going to have a 42" gas line come thru me this year. I will tell you some of the things we got in our contracts.
gmark
Posted 7/17/2010 05:43 (#1276606 - in reply to #1276299)

mid Illinois
Even with it in writing, I would still be sceptical. Years back, we signed on to let a pipeline go thru on us. Turns out is was at the end of the job for one union, so they were doing everything possible to drag out the job ,and make the biggest mess possible. All the topsoil went in the bottom of the trench, and clay up on top, packed down harder than concrete. Us and neighbors bought a ripper to loosen it up trying to raise a crop over it for YEARS!!! I was young, but I am still mad at what all happened. I see those pipeline markers, and wonder when/if that thing is going to rupture, and possibly incinerate the farmstead, since it runs close to it. And if I remember correctly, I think the lease allows 1 or 2 more pipelines to be placed on the easement. Isn't that lovely! Didn't think about that when signing up. Seems like there is always some small detail overlooked in the papers when signing the dotted line, that will give the royal screw job. At the time dad signed, it seemed like decent money, but today, it is just peanuts, and definitely not worth having on the farm.
pbutler
Posted 7/17/2010 06:18 (#1276608 - in reply to #1276234)
Subject: RE: How much is pipeline easement worth?

Macon, IL
We have two now and a 3rd one going in next year. The latest one went in 2 years ago. Paid about 80% of land value for permenant easement-which I think was 50ft wide. Paid crop damage for 5 years-100,80,60,40,20 on 120ft construction area.

Given the choice of easement and $ I would take no easement, but if it coming through you really can't fight it-so just try to get as much as you can. Two years later 90% of the ground is back as it was before they were there. THe other 10% has been a really pain-and not sure it ever will be the same. Couple wet spots where we never had water before-torn up waterways that were really nice now keep washing out.

In summary I would say the money is good-but you will end up working for it one way or the other.....

Edited by pbutler 7/17/2010 06:19
Mike Shimek
Posted 7/17/2010 08:16 (#1276659 - in reply to #1276234)

High Springs, Florida
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hey, I thought we were running out of natural gas, oil, etc. If this is true, why would we need MORE pipelines? Those "Peak Oil" graphs must be published upside down, or something.

Florida Gas Transmission Corp. is doing a 2 BILLION dollar upgrade on their pipeline, putting in extra loops and spurs from the Panhandle to Miami. I wish we would get natural gas in our area, propane companies around here are worse than Al Capone.
9520Deere
Posted 7/17/2010 10:21 (#1276776 - in reply to #1276234)

Alberta Canada
If you can get them to route the line around the outside of the 1/4. That way if you ever subdivide sell etc. you dont have the line right down the middle.
Illinois Steve
Posted 7/17/2010 10:32 (#1276790 - in reply to #1276475)

North Central Illinois
Trouble is Bob that it is not always the line your gas comes from or even the company you get your gas from that owns the line. I have heard of people getting gas but it is pretty rare around here.
dondozer
Posted 7/17/2010 13:26 (#1276964 - in reply to #1276234)

NW Ohio,near Findlay
Have never been around a pipeline, but I've been around a big big sewer project. We stripped the topsoil for a farmer, laid it back way back with earth mover. With a sewer project is generates a lot of extra extra dirt, the pipe and backfilled with stone. The ground is way humped up, have to about remove the excess dirt before spreading topsoil. Of course should wait about a year for ground to settle, loss of crops and fighting weeds. On this project, they pushed the crap dirt on top of the topsoil, blocked water for rest of field. We leveled up following year, way too high, cut channels for water to get out. To this day, about 20 acres ruined. No way would I ever let them go thru IF you have a choice. Good luck
JK SCLA
Posted 7/17/2010 23:24 (#1277595 - in reply to #1276234)

<p>Got one going in southwest of me. 50 ft wide, reparations to land or crops, cannot build a lake but can farm rice, can crop it, but build nothing permanent, can be grazed. $17,500 per acre or for the 50' wide, every 871' you get a check for $17,500.<br /><br />Pretty big project, nothing like the Rocky Express. Hunted near the construction in winter 2008 in Pike Cty IL. They never stop, rain, snow, cold, doesn't matter. Major destruction and construction. Would like to see a time lapse of the under river crossing at Louisiana MO. <br /><br />This one will run from south of Shreveport (haynesville shale discovery) south to Baton Rouge or so, got to cross two major rivers. about 220 miles as the crow flies<br /><br />I say money from the sky. Or the ground.<br /><br /><br />Found and copied this link after the above information</p><p><a href="http://www.gohaynesvilleshale.com/forum/topics/acadian-gas-pipeline-offer">http://www.gohaynesvilleshale.com/forum/topics/acadian-gas-pipeline-offer</a></p>

Edited by JK SCLA 7/18/2010 10:18
tex
Posted 7/18/2010 16:51 (#1278318 - in reply to #1277595)

That is good information on the price per ft.I have heard easements can go for anywhere between $5 to $25 dollars per ft but have already had one of their wonderful people call me and try to steal it for hardly nothing.
ezzard
Posted 7/19/2010 20:37 (#1279870 - in reply to #1278318)

SE IA
Have 2 lines running thru us for 3 miles. Other than a real pain in the ass when you need to dig they have been great to deal with. Compensated us well, then didn't bat an eye if there was a tile problem show up later on, they came and fixed it. Sure, have your attorney look at the contract, that's common sense, but I wouldn't be afraid to work with them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)