AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PIGWEED IDEA
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IHSMOKE
Posted 7/6/2010 23:18 (#1263302)
Subject: PIGWEED IDEA

LUMBERTON NC
got a question for all the bright and wise minds here .... i farm a small amount only about 80 acres now but i am a trying to get larger ....lol .... guess i am a LTO ...lilttle time operater .. well i watch expenses real closley and was wondering ...what would it hurt or do to use a wick bar to kill pigweed with 24d ,, now what i am thinking is let the weed grow up taller than the beans and rub them with a wick bar ....one friend says where the 24d drips it will kill the beans dead ...i am looking at the idea and any input form ppl with wick bar experiance ...or possibly another chemical as reflex will not kill over 8 inches.TIA....IHSMOKE
Top of the page Bottom of the page
65SuperSport
Posted 7/6/2010 23:40 (#1263355 - in reply to #1263302)
Subject: Re: PIGWEED IDEA

I posted this idea the other day and I am still looking for suggestion's ,answers. What about Ignite ? I have a rope wick that has never been used and I found a crank adjusted Atv mount for $250.00. Now just need to find the right Juice to use. When Roundup was used would these thing's drip and kill the bean's that caught the drip?If we use 24-D probably should'nt use the Ester formulation. Some work apparently is being done with Paraquat. Downside is it is dangerous and it won't kill the root's. Anybody know what will work through a wick and what won't. Thanks . By the way I'm after Marestail.
paul the original
Posted 7/7/2010 00:25 (#1263422 - in reply to #1263355)

southern MN
I read a manual (2 whole pages...) for a wick applicator, seemed it only wanted RUP, the other sprays of the time were too thick & oily. You kinda mix 50-50 with distilled water so the chemical stays pretty thick. I don't actually know anything about it, but what I read.

--->Paul
farmertim
Posted 7/7/2010 00:42 (#1263441 - in reply to #1263302)

New Madrid, MO
I wouldn't be putting 24-d in a wick bar if there is any cotton around.
Ranchhand
Posted 7/7/2010 00:43 (#1263442 - in reply to #1263422)

West KY, Miss River County
I have used a wick bar numerous times since the mid 80's. Yes Roundup works fine. Mixed 1Roundup:<2 water. Normally a gallon in a 2.5 gal jug and fill it completely with tap water. I know this won't kill resistant pigweed.
They do not recommend any type of 2,4-D because it is so volatile, the fumes will kill something 'way over there'.

Ignite might work, but I am not aware of any tests or recommendations.

Some of the new bars have an overhead reservoir with valves to control the flow better and minimize drips.

The way a little Valor left in the lines kills/burns everything would make me consider it for inclusion in a mixture. However one needs something that will translocate in the plant to really be effective.

Edited by Ranchhand 7/7/2010 00:47
cotnhill
Posted 7/7/2010 06:00 (#1263521 - in reply to #1263302)
Subject: RE: PIGWEED IDEA

North Carolina
I don't think 24d with a wick would kill pigweed. Sometimes spraying high rates with 15 gal/ac won't get him.
Philbert
Posted 7/7/2010 06:16 (#1263527 - in reply to #1263302)

BENTON, MO
Ignite won't work, it has to get coverage over the entire plant to kill it. One year a crop duster specked our corn pretty bad with it and just speckeled it up.
Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 7/7/2010 06:48 (#1263535 - in reply to #1263302)
Subject: RE: PIGWEED IDEA

Little River, TX
Banvel used to be labeled for a wick. I did not have Banvel but I did have Weedmaster and used that. Id did work on the weeds I had.

A wick is not real effective on a thick stand of weeds. It needs time to recover the bar with the herbicide.

These new style wick bars are superior to the old rope wick.
You can flush the herbicide from the inside with some water pressure and have a clean surface again. A washing machine hose will do the trick of connecting a hose to the tap.
dvswia
Posted 7/7/2010 07:16 (#1263558 - in reply to #1263442)

sw corner ia.
I used a homemade rider with 5 seats and guns. We used RU and 2-4D amine in equal amounts spraying weeds in pretty big beans, I always noticed absolutely no problems with beans next to any weeds that were "treated" with this hot mix. We used a lot of mix.

I can't see why a wick wouldn't work on mt with amine in it.
dgriffin12
Posted 7/7/2010 07:44 (#1263590 - in reply to #1263535)
Subject: pigweed hell ( georgia)

south ga.
we are in the second year using a wick bar and have found paraquat is the best. we tried ignite didnt work
cotman
Posted 7/7/2010 07:48 (#1263594 - in reply to #1263302)
Subject: RE: Wick bar & re-cycle sprayer

NW Tennessee

We used to run a wick bar a lot before R-up ready crops came along but never used anything but R-up in one. I don't see how you could get enough of any chemical I am familiar with other than R-up through a wick to do any good. Having said that, last winter at one of the meetings I attended that was addressing RR pigweed, the guy from UT that was speaking (probably Dr. Larry Steckel) said they had been doing some research on using rope wicks and had found one or two chemicals that looked pretty promising. But, it was off label work and he couldn't say what they were.

Before rope wicks we used a "recycle sprayer". It had boxes that hung off toolbar and three nozzles that sprayed in a straight stream above and across the rows. The boxes had filters in them, similar to air conditioner filters for a central unit in your home. Any weeds taller than the crop would be sprayed and the boxes caught the streams and sent it back to the tank. It worked, but it wasn't much fun to run. You really had to watch because if the least bit of trash got in the tips, they didn't spray a straight stream anymore and splattered on the crop. At that time, we ran it for johnsongrass control. As I said, it worked good for that, but you did have some "collateral damage". Still got it in the back of a shed.

Edited by cotman 7/7/2010 07:49
Cattle Feeder
Posted 7/7/2010 10:00 (#1263756 - in reply to #1263355)

32-48 oz of round up and one oz cobra. It wount tint the beans and the "junk' weeds dont stand a chance.
puff33m
Posted 7/7/2010 21:21 (#1264503 - in reply to #1263590)
Subject: RE: pigweed hell ( georgia)

N FLA
Gramoxone looks good. I hear its standard practice in a few parts of GA. I was told glyphos is the only chemical currenty labeled for wicks and wipers.

Edited by puff33m 7/7/2010 21:22
cotman
Posted 7/8/2010 07:46 (#1265015 - in reply to #1263756)
Subject: Re: If he has R-up resistant pigweeds.....

NW Tennessee
that mix won't touch them.
Cattle Feeder
Posted 7/8/2010 09:59 (#1265152 - in reply to #1265015)

Well it worked on all my ground and all the costom work I did. A pigweed is not real tuff to kill
IHSMOKE
Posted 7/8/2010 22:41 (#1265890 - in reply to #1263594)

LUMBERTON NC
thanks for the advice ..... i recoken i will still keep a thinking ....btw pigweed here in north carolina is resestant to round -up......IHSMOKE
cotman
Posted 7/8/2010 23:37 (#1265982 - in reply to #1265152)
Subject: Re: Not trying to be smart,....

NW Tennessee
Aaron, but you obviously don't have any R-up resistant Palmer pigweed. We didn't either, two years ago. Relatively few last year, just concentrated in isolated areas. This year they are widespread, more fields with them than without in my area. Weed control costs have at least doubled, probably closer to tripled, just trying to control them. And once they get past 8" tall, they are extremely hard, if not impossible, to kill with anything other than cold steel. The "experts" say 90%+ of the RR palmers are ALS resistant also. I have a field that would support those numbers. Sprayed it with R-up and Classic and didn't faze the pigweeds.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)