AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Valtra tractors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

zipper
Posted 6/24/2010 08:58 (#1248784)
Subject: Valtra tractors

do anyone still own them. how are they working out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Larry in AB
Posted 6/24/2010 10:00 (#1248855 - in reply to #1248784)
Subject: Re: Valtra tractors

Alberta, Canada
Don't own one but from what others have said they are very well built and have good motors which AGCO uses in other stuff too. I believe Agco is not offering any new models anymore in North America when they dropped some of their tractor lines but I could be wrong.
canadian farmer
Posted 6/24/2010 10:55 (#1248916 - in reply to #1248855)

Asked the question to my Agco dealer a month or two ago, and he said they are still bringing new Valtras in Canada.  They must sell at least 10-12 a year, mostly for cities and municipal contractors.  
Larry in AB
Posted 6/24/2010 11:05 (#1248926 - in reply to #1248916)

Alberta, Canada
I'm actually thinking of checking on a used one here this week. I talked to the local independ dealer who sells them and he says he can still order them in. I always thought they were neat in that you could pick you color! They are by no means "cheap" to purchase new. Of cousre I'm told they are the best thing since sliced bread lol! Over the years on the AG talk boards though they have always got a good rep., their engines are supposed to be very well made. But they are kind of an odd duck out here in western Canada. AGCO can still supply parts I'm told if need be, but I imagine they're not cheap.

Edited by Larry in AB 6/24/2010 11:06
canadian farmer
Posted 6/24/2010 11:12 (#1248933 - in reply to #1248926)

Yeah it will definitely be an odd duck.  I didn't know they were so expensive though.  I would recommend you look at MF too, they have the same great Sisu engine.  What kind of HP (or model) are you looking at.  There are quite a few low hour Valtras around here, maybe I could help you find something?
Traveling Man
Posted 6/24/2010 12:29 (#1248978 - in reply to #1248933)
Subject: Re: Every second tractor around here is Valtra.

Finland, up there in north where noboby farms!
They are good tractors...just like all other. They have their issues like any other tractor. Sisu engines have good reputation, altought the was also few issues too. They build them here in Finland and also South America for local needs ( and models).

Depending of the model they have couple benefits and if's compared "normal" tractors. Like engine is top of the front axle on some models and it is good for pulling. For 2 WD or front loader work it is not that great design.

Just buy more Valtra's!!!!!!!!! Might be that some of the money ends up here too....

Edited by Traveling Man 6/24/2010 12:29
Larry in AB
Posted 6/24/2010 12:59 (#1248998 - in reply to #1248978)

Alberta, Canada
Not sure what the hell I want other than a good value in the 115 to 130 pto hp range. I don't really care what brand just as long its what I want.

Edited by Larry in AB 9/1/2010 10:26
Traveling Man
Posted 6/24/2010 13:09 (#1249013 - in reply to #1248998)

Larry in AB - 6/24/2010 19:59

Not sure what the hell I want other than a good value in the 115 to 130 pto hp range. I don't really care what brand just as long its what I want.

I thinking of looking at a used Valtra 8350 which I think is rated at 125 Pto Hp. But like a lot of these used tractors farmers want a lot of money for them. Probelm is they bought them say 4-5 years ago when our dollar was so low. Now with the higher dollar or even on par like this spring new tractors are very competitive in price. I told the one guy why would buy your used one for $XXX amount when I can buy a new one for $10K more with warranty ... he was surpised at what the new one is selling at!

You sure don't wanna pay too much for used tractor and people sometimes do not look options very carefully, they just think used is cheaper.

I can talk couple people about 8000 series Valtra's if you want. Those six cylinder engines have lot of potential and some models have strong drive train. If you want "turn it up", better make sure it got correct injection pump too. Lot of those run here around 200 engine hp. Good and strong tractor.
Larry in AB
Posted 6/24/2010 17:45 (#1249194 - in reply to #1249013)

Alberta, Canada
Yes the one I'm looking at is a real low hr. 8350 that's a 2001 model and the guy is asking a premuim for. I feel its anuncommon tractor that is 9 years old so of course I feel it should be a little less.

Edited by Larry in AB 6/25/2010 00:36
Traveling Man
Posted 6/25/2010 01:54 (#1249704 - in reply to #1249194)

Low rew model...

http://www.valtra.com/news/press/453.asp

Some folks didn't like it, because you need shift sooner when you run out of the rpm's. I don't think we would call Valtras hi tech tractors? More like rugget local product, atleast used to be.

There is one 8350 -00 for sale right here, 3500 hours, looks nice and clean, asking 40 000 US $. How is that compared to your prices. You can get new 100 engine hp Valtra for little less money...
Larry in AB
Posted 6/25/2010 10:07 (#1249914 - in reply to #1249704)

Alberta, Canada
This one has 500 original hrs. on it

Edited by Larry in AB 9/1/2010 10:23
Traveling Man
Posted 6/25/2010 14:51 (#1250164 - in reply to #1249914)

Larry in AB - 6/25/2010 17:07

This one has 500 original hrs. on it, 2001 model NO loader and he wants $68,000 cdn. funds. Used ones with a loader with 4000-5000hrs are listed in the $45,000- $50,000 range. I can get a brand new Landini 145 same sort of hp. with the heavy drive train they use up to 185hp (shipping wieght 5900KGs) with the Iveco 6.7 liter, 3 speed powershift, F/R shutle shift lots of gears etc. for just under $80K so about 10K more only then this 9 year old Valtra. The valtra does look a bit better built but the new landini is not bad and doesn't have quite as much electronics.

I don't know thing about Landini's, so don't wanna comment what they are....but if they are ok and if you can get good and fast service it can be good option. Valtra would little unusual too, so it really would benefit from Landini much? Specially if Valtra will not be sold in Canada anymore.

Exact same situation I did pick up rare tractor ( Massey) for my are for utility purpose and it has worked good and was lot cheaper option that NH or JD.

Here I could drive north to the Valtra factory to get any part I need or get it shipped for next day. That would be big benefit.
WTW
Posted 6/24/2010 16:00 (#1249122 - in reply to #1248784)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
Just bought a used one in spring for a utility tractor. Looked for awhile to find one with the Twin Trak option where you can flip the seat around for driving reverse, basically a bi-directional. Should work excellent for blowing snow. Are in the process of fixing some accumulated depreciation.

(IMGP0464.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP0464.jpg (68KB - 590 downloads)
Larry in AB
Posted 6/24/2010 17:40 (#1249188 - in reply to #1249122)

Alberta, Canada
HOw do you like it so far? I went and looked at some new and used ones today. Actually I have to admit the ones I saw were impressive. Some of the nicest new tractors and robustly built ones I've looked at so far. Nice transmission options, heck you can even pick your paint color and the door looked like it weighed 100lbs! However they do come at a premium! Was hoping to find a used one for a bargin as they are a odd ball tractor around here.
WTW
Posted 6/24/2010 19:49 (#1249272 - in reply to #1249188)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
Seems to be a pretty well made tractor. Lots of really well thought out features that make tractor unique. Biggest drawback depending on the application is the open centre hydraulics on all of the older tractors. For our application that was not a major factor. The other thing that is a huge drawback is the fact that Agco is in process of discontinuing the Valtra line in North America by the end of 2010. Pretty weird decision in that Valtra has features that are unique and not available on the other offerings from Agco. Some of the Canadian dealers were thinking about bringing in the tractors from Europe themselves, but I don't know how feasible that is.
Larry in AB
Posted 6/24/2010 19:58 (#1249280 - in reply to #1249272)

Alberta, Canada
What about parts??? I noticed AGCO does have have an online spot that you can look up and get the parts numbers. My local dealer says some stuff he can get if its a common agco number. However its a special valtra only number he's doesn't think so. I think there is only one true "valtra dealer" (No agco stuff)in Western Canada and some out east.

I don't care about the hydraulics either as it its not going to have a loader and as long as its as good as my 30 year old Case's hydraulics it will be fine for what I'm using it for.

Edited by Larry in AB 6/24/2010 20:01
WTW
Posted 6/24/2010 20:13 (#1249294 - in reply to #1249280)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
I just ordered some parts. Prices seemed reasonable. Emailed the Valta dealer with the list of parts from the Agco Parts site. Parts will be shipped direct to a different Agco dealer which is on my doorstep. I think there are at least a couple of dealers in Western Canada. I talked to some people in Agco about the issue of Valtra dealers essentially disappearing after they quit with the tractors at the end of 2010 and parts availability. He expected at that point in time the parts would be available through any Agco dealer. Because Valtra is a fairly big deal in Europe and South America I am hoping parts will not be a huge issue. I would also hope Agco would reverse their decision to no longer offer Valtra in North America, although I am not very confident of that. It seems Agco continues to succeed quite well at creating uncertainty for their customers.
WTW
Posted 6/24/2010 20:20 (#1249298 - in reply to #1249280)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
Three dealers in Western Canada. One in Manitoba, one in Sask. one in Alberta according to the Agco dealer finder. The dealer in Manitoba is quite helpful. I have no experience with the others.
Larry in AB
Posted 6/24/2010 20:32 (#1249308 - in reply to #1249298)

Alberta, Canada
Its seems uncertain if Valtra is not in Canada or still offered in the USA next year. This was posted on here a couple weeks back.

AGCO Will Phase Out Orange Tractors
12/8/2009

Margy Fischer, Farm Journal Machinery Editor

In a one-on-one phone interview with Bob Crain, Senior Vice President and General Manager for AGCO North America, he confirmed that AGCO Corporation will cease production of its orange line of AGCO brand tractors.

“Change is difficult. I recognize this is an emotional subject and change brings that out,” Crain says. “At the end of the day, we [AGCO management] are extremely confident in these tough decisions, and that this is the right decision for the medium- and long-term.”

The AGCO branded tractors will continue to be produced through 2010, with a final timeline expected before the end of the year and before production will have to switch to meet Tier 4 emissions standards. The company says it will focus its resources on engineering and marketing Challenger and Massey Ferguson branded products in North America.

Crain says he understands the emotional feedback from dealers and customers.

“I have first-hand experience in brands changing,” he says. “My grandfather started one of the first Ford Tractor dealerships in Mississippi. But it’s a fact that in the past 30 to 40 years, this industry has been all about change.”

Established in 1990, AGCO Corporation has grown through a series of more than 24 acquisitions. Four years ago the company launched a “cornerstone” brand approach to consolidate brands under the AGCO, Challenger and Massey Ferguson names in North America. In the past year, AGCO said it will focus on four brands worldwide: Challenger, Fendt, Massey Ferguson and Valtra.

“This change will be the avenue for us to consolidate and focus our resources to give our customers and our dealers a better and more productive product,” he says. “For us to be competitive and provide better products, it requires us to focus our resources. And just as important, we are spending more dollars on research and development than at any time in our history.”

In February of 2009, the company launched completely new high horsepower tractors within the AGCO, Challenger and Massey Ferguson brands. More than likely, the DT Series Tractors will be last series launched bearing the AGCO brand name.

As AGCO tractors are phased out of production, customers will not see a disruption in parts availability. Many of the parts used on AGCO tractors were based on a common platform shared with other brands. Also, Crain says that today dealers supply parts dating back to the 1950s for most of the legacy brands within AGCO Corporation and that customer service will apply to the AGCO brand as well.

Those dealers who sell and service AGCO tractors will have the opportunity to transition into Massey Ferguson dealers (or in some cases Challenger dealers). In early December Crain will travel to five regional dealer meetings to speak with the AGCO dealer group in person and address their concerns. He says a specially chosen AGCO brand dealer advisory panel was very helpful in this process, and their feedback helped shape how AGCO will proceed with this change.

This announcement only affects the AGCO brand of tractors, and Crain notes Gleaner combines will be unaffected, and in fact more resources are being devoted to the line.

“We’re investing significant dollars in the Gleaner line of transverse combines,” he says. “And we’ll have new product to bring advanced technology and productivity to those combines.”

The implement lines of Hesston, Sunflower and White are also unaffected by this announcement. The Fendt and Valtra brands will continue to be available in North America as what Crain refers to as niche brands.
Gunner
Posted 6/24/2010 20:41 (#1249315 - in reply to #1249308)

Modena, Wisconsin
Looks like the last line says they will be uneffected so should remain as they are now.
WTW
Posted 6/24/2010 20:42 (#1249316 - in reply to #1249308)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
After reading the following press release I did some checking on the status of Valtra in North America earlier in the year. You will note that this is a later press release than the one you listed. Unless Agco has changed their mind since then, Valtra is done in North America by the end of 2010 is what I was told by multiple sources.

DULUTH, GA (January 12, 2010) — AGCO Corporation (NYSE:AGCO), Your Agriculture Company, a worldwide manufacturer and distributor of agricultural equipment, officially announced details of the company’s North American brand strategy for 2010 and beyond. This is a major step in an aggressive business approach which focuses on bringing new products and improved services to professional growers and advancing AGCO’s position as a leading player in the North American agricultural machinery marketplace.

“Our North American strategy is based on two simple ideas that will improve our overall competitiveness,” says Robert Crain, senior vice president and general manager, North America, AGCO Corp. “First, by focusing our resources behind fewer brands we can bring more innovation and technology to our customers in key areas, resulting in market-leading products that meet the needs of today’s farmers. In addition, fewer brands allow us to achieve greater brand impact and help our full-line dealers better support our valued customers. To this end, Challenger® and Massey Ferguson® will become our foundation brands within North America.

“Brands such as Hesston®, Sunflower®, Gleaner®, White™ Planters, SpraCoupe®, Fendt® and others offer unique customer benefits within the marketplace and are not going away. These will be leveraged via co-branding strategies as appropriate. Hesston by Massey Ferguson is one example.” The plan does include phasing out the AGCO® brand of equipment, including its line of orange tractors, which are expected to be marketed into 2011. As AGCO has demonstrated throughout its history, the company will continue to provide quality parts and service support well into the future.

Crain adds, “There have been questions in the marketplace about the future of the Gleaner brand, as it is so often linked to the orange tractors. AGCO is committed to the Gleaner brand moving forward. The innovative transverse technology in our silver combines sets us apart, and we anticipate market share growth in this segment. In fact, there are exciting new enhancements for Gleaner in the not-too-distant future.”

Strengthening dealer network
In today’s market environment it is costly to support multiple brands. A strong dealer network representing full-line brands is a key component of the AGCO strategy to increase market share in North America.

“We are committed to serving our customers through a quality dealer network that will support existing and future products, help us provide innovative customer service and deliver the new technologies resulting from AGCO’s expanded product development efforts,” explains Crain.

“We understand the heritage and tradition surrounding the AGCO tractor brand. To make certain we preserve our customers’ access to exceptional product support, we will work with all AGCO tractor dealers on an individual basis to seek the best ongoing solution in their market. Options may include them continuing as a dealer for Massey Ferguson products. We are confident all our customers will continue to receive the level of support they’ve come to expect throughout the years.”

AGCO continues to make strides on the company’s long-term brand strategy aimed at increasing market share in North America. The introduction of a new generation of high horsepower row crop tractors in 2009 was a significant step in this effort. For more information about AGCO, its products and services visit
www.AGCOcorp.com.

ABOUT AGCO
AGCO, Your Agriculture Company, (NYSE: AGCO) was founded in 1990 and offers a full product line of tractors, combines, hay tools, sprayers, forage, tillage equipment, implements, and related replacement parts. AGCO agricultural products are sold under the core brands of Challenger®, Fendt®, Massey Ferguson® and Valtra®, and are distributed globally through more than 2,800 independent dealers and distributors, in more than 140 countries worldwide. AGCO provides retail financing through AGCO Finance. AGCO is headquartered in Duluth, Georgia, USA. In 2008, AGCO had net sales of $8.4 billion. Please visit our website at www.AGCOcorp.com.

# # # #

AGCO® and Massey Ferguson® are worldwide brands and registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Challenger® is a registered trademark of Caterpillar, Inc. and is used under license by AGCO Corporation.

Edited by WTW 6/24/2010 20:44
Larry in AB
Posted 6/24/2010 21:11 (#1249361 - in reply to #1249316)

Alberta, Canada
Unless I missed something I don't see where it says other that the Orange Acgo tractors will be done.

The dealer I talked to today had new stuff and said there will be Valtra's for sale next year no problem. I never really questioned it with him as I didn't know all about this.

I kind of want to find out for sure either way though before I got look at anymore. As for parts I think they have to supply parts do they not?

I'll give another dealer or two a call tommorow maybe too.
WTW
Posted 6/24/2010 21:30 (#1249392 - in reply to #1249361)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
You will notice that the press release I quoted listed only two foundation brands in North America; Challenger and Massery Ferguson. Then it went on to list the niche brands, but no mention of Valtra. This seemed odd to me since the press release is found on the Valtra North America site. I will not list the people who I talked to but the story was consistent. That said, Agco could have changed their plan since January or February. http://www.valtra.us/news/press/3597.asp

Edited by WTW 6/24/2010 21:35
christianh
Posted 6/25/2010 10:19 (#1249930 - in reply to #1249392)

St. Gregor, SK, Canada
WTW - 6/24/2010 20:30

You will notice that the press release I quoted listed only two foundation brands in North America; Challenger and Massery Ferguson. Then it went on to list the niche brands, but no mention of Valtra. This seemed odd to me since the press release is found on the Valtra North America site. I will not list the people who I talked to but the story was consistent. That said, Agco could have changed their plan since January or February. http://www.valtra.us/news/press/3597.asp

Valtra is staying in Canada.

Fendt and Valtra are the "niche" brands. ;)
Larry in AB
Posted 6/25/2010 10:26 (#1249938 - in reply to #1249930)

Alberta, Canada
Talked to a dealer out your way H&L and he says they are scaling down what they bring over. Nothing over 200hp I think he was saying but he claimed you will be able to buy Valtra's in the future, just it will be limited as to what. Parts not an issue.
pudding
Posted 6/24/2010 20:46 (#1249323 - in reply to #1248784)

Somewhereville, Earth
valtra is a fantastic product, the N series is a great seller in NZ so is the T series, and the new T series with the powershift or vario options are nice looking machines, i have friends that run them at home, 8750's, 8350's, 6650's, N101's. etc, you don't see them in the workshop much

it does worry me with agco and parts service, they have a lot of old tractors they have absorbed over the years, once you find a good dealer, you look after him, in north america
dohhed
Posted 6/24/2010 22:38 (#1249496 - in reply to #1248784)
Subject: RE: Valtra tractors

Burford
I am from one of the largest Valtra dealers in Ontario and we were informed by our Agco reps that as of Dec. 31 2010. that their would be no more "new" Valtra's coming over from Europe for us to sell. Since then Agco has extended the N series for another year, but with the changes in the T series, they are no longer offering this model to North America. We have alot of confidance that Valtra tech support and parts will be available for a long time to come. Valtra tractors are not a cheap alternative to the big names, but once you get into one and test drive one you will see why they are still very popular in Europe.
Larry in AB
Posted 6/25/2010 01:56 (#1249705 - in reply to #1249496)
Subject: RE: Valtra tractors

Alberta, Canada
Hey when searching Ad's online noticed a dealer or two that sold Valtra carried other tractors like Agro's Landini and McCormick. Have you seen any of these around on the lot ?

I've been told the McCormick and Landini are not in the same league as Valtra but I did happen to check over a Landini Land Power and it looked not bad. It did look a little lighter biult then the Valtra's.
zipper
Posted 6/25/2010 07:27 (#1249759 - in reply to #1249705)
Subject: larry?

have you checked tractorhouse and fastline. appears some decent deals on valtra, did you check out deutz? I tried a valtra 6850 tractor at a farm show. seemed to have a nice fit, most things seem just to come together, it lacked a good buddy seat, only major fault I found.

Edited by zipper 6/25/2010 07:28
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)