AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wheat protein test
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 6/18/2010 23:11 (#1242415 - in reply to #1241900)
Subject: RE: wheat protein test

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

I normally store all my wheat as it comes off the field. I take two small, consistant size samples from every load and put them in a 6 gal. plastic bucket. When harvest is over, I mix the contents of the bucket and take 6 half gallon samples to the elevator, for testing. I average those samples to give me an idea of what kind of protein is in each bin. I then market the wheat, taking into consideration what pro. is in each bin.

There have been a couple locals that bought their own whole grain analysis protein testers. Actually, what you test on the farm, with your own tester or even what my samples test out to, may be mildly interesting but it's completely irrelevant. What counts is the samples the elevator pulls when you deliver. My elevator tests and will do a "paper blend' of the wheat in a contract. If that doesn't satisfy you, they will send a sample to your choice of lab. If you still think it's low, they'll send a sample to the State Grain Lab, which becomes the final word on grade and protein. Samples sent to a private lab or the State lab incur a small fee. If I decide that I'm satisfied with the elevator's paper blend, they'll add .1% to the average and pay on that.

Having your own on-farm storage really helps with playing the pro. premium game. Would be hard to do otherwise.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)