AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Concrete or plastic cattle waterers: What brand
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

seedcleaner
Posted 5/12/2010 21:51 (#1196882)
Subject: Concrete or plastic cattle waterers: What brand

Mid-Missouri

I am wanting to get some cattle waterers. About the 250 head or less capacity with a fence down the top middle of it. The Cancrete is about 1k delivered to local Orchelins. This is the most expensive. The Peterson seems to be a couple hundred cheaper. What about plastic? I have heard bad about the Miramount founts. The three locations that need a new fountain already have electric for the heater and are all fed off a deep well. What do you like. 1k is alot of money but I want it to last. Also, the concrete weigh half a ton and don't need anchored down, which I like. Is the Cancrete worth the most because it is the best?

http://cancrete.com/us/photos.asp

http://www.petersenwaterers.com/secure-petersenwaterers/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=17

Top of the page Bottom of the page
cattlefeeder
Posted 5/12/2010 21:54 (#1196892 - in reply to #1196882)
Subject: Re: Concrete or plastic cattle waterers: What brand

Central Kansas
Ritchie's are what we use. We use the kind with the heat tube in the ground and no electricity. Absolutely love them
Topshot
Posted 5/12/2010 21:55 (#1196895 - in reply to #1196882)

Near Richmond, IN
I bought a Behlen and really like it. It's light weight and well insulated. I talked to a person at CISCO, Indianapolis, where I buy different things, that had worked at another waterer manufacturer in the past and he thought the Behlen's were the best made of the ones that CISCO offered. I bought the PCPE model and it's pretty nice.
http://www.behlencountry.com/watererspage
white caddy
Posted 5/12/2010 22:04 (#1196913 - in reply to #1196882)

Central Nebraska
We just put in 2 new Richies last fall, one replace a steel Richie and the other replaced a Bohman concrete job. There is probably a 18" plastic pipe coming up from 6' deep so you don't need a light to keep the pipes from freezing. The waters are plastic with a stainless steel trough and a heater element under the pan, never touches the water. I wouldn't own another concrete water if my life depended on it.
seedcleaner
Posted 5/12/2010 22:10 (#1196929 - in reply to #1196913)

Mid-Missouri

Ok, please explain.

Isn't the element in the water much more efficient at keeping it from freezing than under the pan/water?

What didn't you like about a concrete waterer so much?

acfarmer
Posted 5/12/2010 22:10 (#1196932 - in reply to #1196882)

Revere Missouri very northeast corner.
Dad had a miramount plastic frost free water for a very long time Seemed to hold up to the cattles abuse. Replaced it a couple a years ago because it started to freeze up in the winter probably insulation decaying in it? Im going to guess we had it atleast 12-13 years. He replaced it with a pride of the farm frost free waterer since we already had one in the barnlot and have had good luck with it also.
Jon
Posted 5/12/2010 22:15 (#1196946 - in reply to #1196882)
Subject: RE: Concrete or plastic cattle waterers: What brand

Callao Missouri
Eddie, Dad has pretty well stopped buying commercial live stock drinks. You can do a whole lot better buy using a tire from a large earth mover like a scraper or a large wheel loader or haul truck. The tire waters are practically indestructible, the black tire soaks up a lot of suns rays to keep them thawed out and they can be big enough that the livestock cannot reach the float in the center. Makes for easer fencing as well with a large one. If you want pictures just give me a call. Jon
white caddy
Posted 5/12/2010 22:19 (#1196959 - in reply to #1196929)

Central Nebraska
With the element under the pan it keeps the whole pan warm not just the little bit of water around the element. The elements that are in the water, on Bohmans anyway, tend to quit working. I have never had this problem on Richie with the pan heater. In fact, the Richie water that was replaced, was just rusted out on the skirt that hold the pan up. We are going to make a stainless steel skirt and use that pan and element again. It was probably installed back in 81 or 82. The concrete Bohmans are all cracked up. I don't know if this is from cattle abuse or the change in temp. The main thing about those that i don't like is the type of element, they are also harder to keep from freezing up when it gets cold. Sometimes a 100W light bulb isn't enough.
seedcleaner
Posted 5/12/2010 22:27 (#1196971 - in reply to #1196946)

Mid-Missouri
Hey Jon. We have been using the large construction tires for several years as well. Probably have atleast ten of them. They work great but for these three locations, we already have a concrete pad with water and electricity with little room for the big tires. You should post pics of how you do it anyway and I will try to take some of how we do it. Many here may not have ever seen it done.
Angus in ncmo
Posted 5/12/2010 22:31 (#1196986 - in reply to #1196882)

If you're putting this in a lot fenceline where there is going to be pressure against the fence, the hole over the water needs to be small enough to prevent livestock from going through the waterer, but large enough to allow animals to drink as well as be able to service/clean the waterer itself. 

I've put in both a Ritchie and a Cobett in lot fence lines.  I like the Cobett from the standpoint of it doesn't need a concrete pad to sit on -- just a good rock base around it and you're good to go -- good design, works good. 

The Ritchie had to have the top replaced at 12 years due to the plastic cracking and the insulation got waterlogged, then froze.  Other than that, good waterer, just has to be placed on concrete. 

(calves 004.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments calves 004.jpg (41KB - 951 downloads)
jimih
Posted 5/12/2010 22:45 (#1197023 - in reply to #1196986)

wc missouri
We use the Concrete in gound in every application and find they are the best for the money. We have tried all different kinds of brands and found that Melloy out of Eldon or California, MO to be the best. They have a door so you can access the trickle valve without putting your hand all the way down in the water. We have tried all the rest and can say these by far hold up very well and are the most simple reliable water you can by. I just picked another one up for under $600 double sided the other day.
nar
Posted 5/12/2010 23:07 (#1197093 - in reply to #1196882)

Wyoming
Tire tank. Won't freeze, won't get broke, won't rust out.
paul the original
Posted 5/12/2010 23:20 (#1197123 - in reply to #1196986)

southern MN
I sure like my Cobett, but I have less cattle & was able to put it just outside the fence so don't have heavy cattle pressure.

Think of the $$ saved over 10 years of not putting any electric to it - can pay for the waterer.

--->Paul
Jim
Posted 5/12/2010 23:21 (#1197125 - in reply to #1196882)
Subject: RE: Concrete or plastic cattle waterers: Petersen (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I have a Petersen 34C and love it. It has stayed frost free down to about -30 f in Wisconsin. Very well made. If you install it correctly it should last a long time. One of the things I like about it is the plastic cover. I now have a couple panels over the center so it waters two separate groups. Easy to clean out completely with a large plug.

I think the key to success with most waterers is the installation. They are worth some concrete to get it right. I'll add a couple pictures. I vote for concrete over plastic and a Petersen made in Iowa. It's been in about 3 years now. One picture from this January is at 6 deg F.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/13/2010 00:23

(cattle_waterer_ base_prep_1348.jpg)

(Petersen 34C at installation 05-06-07_1702.jpg)

(IMG_2585_PetersenWater6degF010110.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cattle_waterer_ base_prep_1348.jpg (83KB - 1001 downloads)
Attachments Petersen 34C at installation 05-06-07_1702.jpg (37KB - 997 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2585_PetersenWater6degF010110.jpg (70KB - 1001 downloads)
greasegun
Posted 5/12/2010 23:25 (#1197132 - in reply to #1196882)

W.C. Mo.
Talk to Rick Anstine at the Kingsville Livestock Mkt. He sells concrete waters that last forever.We have had some of them in feedlots for over 20 years. They are heavy but we still cement them in so cattle can't move them or air can't infiltrate. We have tried the lighter wt ones in the past and they either rust out or cattle tear them up pushing and rubbing on them.. Sorry can't remember the brand but if interested I can get it for you.
salexmo
Posted 5/13/2010 07:40 (#1197388 - in reply to #1197132)

northwest missouri
If around lots Ritchie plastic is the only way to go - have a mirafount, another mirafount knockoff, and a petersen concrete they are not nearly as good as the ritchie. We also have two concrete waterers and a tire tank - I prefer the tire tank as our concrete waterers are partially buried with a small drink area which is not large enough for very many cattle in hot weather, I put a large heat sink below the tire tank and with a small flowthrough from pond pipe it never freezes.
GangGreen
Posted 5/13/2010 08:35 (#1197467 - in reply to #1196882)

Eastern Iowa
Properly installed, a Mirafount is an excellent waterer. Have had one for 30+ years, and have only needed to replace the floating balls a couple times. Had to thaw it a couple times this winter and realized the rubber seal between lid and tank was bad. Have had to thaw it less than ten times in thirty years without any electric heat, and would classify it as a minor job.

I would recommend them.

I also use Lil Springs in situations where I don't have a huge heat pipe beneath the tank to keep the pipe thawed. They need a drop in heater when temps get below 20 degrees in a feedlot situation, but are easy to clean and work on. I think the water valve and float (Franklin) is much better built in these two models than the rinky dink ones available with the Ritchies, but the old Pride of the Farm valve is still the best in my book.
German Shepherd
Posted 5/13/2010 08:58 (#1197520 - in reply to #1196882)

We've got 3 Petersens.  They are the 44C models and like them for the most part.  The one annoying thing is keeping the thermostats set correctly.  In time they are either too low, or more likely too warm.  I got mine for less then the list price on the web by going through a Petersen dealer.   Paid about $670 apiece for the last two  we bought two years ago. 

The last two replaced a couple of 10 year old Ritchies.  Those Ritchies were the biggest POS ever built.  Completely rusted out in 10 years.

Edited by Sheep Herder 5/13/2010 08:59
barker4650
Posted 5/13/2010 13:46 (#1197909 - in reply to #1197520)

N. E. Indiana
I always liked the Jugs, indestuctable and rarely freeze. I just don't like the price tag.
Jim
Posted 5/13/2010 15:48 (#1198065 - in reply to #1197520)

Driftless SW Wisconsin
I have found my thermostat need adjustment occasionally also. Seems to creep up. I was wondering if I cleaned around the thermostat more often if it would tend not to do that - so far so good. Jim at Dawn
white caddy
Posted 5/13/2010 23:55 (#1198849 - in reply to #1197520)

Central Nebraska
I will agree with you on the rusting out part. I think ours are about 25 years old and bottom skirt is all rusted away. Replaced them with new plastic Ritches that have stainless steel pans, I like them so far.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)