AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is JD Hy-Gaurd and Case-IH hytran plus, the same oil?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

one farmer
Posted 4/11/2010 17:39 (#1158755)
Subject: Is JD Hy-Gaurd and Case-IH hytran plus, the same oil?

SW MN
I have a Case-IH 955 planter and it calls for hytran plus ms1207.
I run JD Hy-Gaurd in Jd tractors.
Do I have to carry both now?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
deersniper
Posted 4/11/2010 17:47 (#1158767 - in reply to #1158755)
Subject: Re: Is JD Hy-Gaurd and Case-IH hytran plus, the same oil?

Hy tran is better.
deere_9600
Posted 4/11/2010 18:12 (#1158790 - in reply to #1158767)

As long as oil meets the sames specs , ie xx-xx code number, no difference.
CaseFarmer
Posted 4/11/2010 18:18 (#1158797 - in reply to #1158790)

Flora IL
No difference it just performes better in test..??? im sorry deere guys but hytran is better if not the best..

sorry...
ChrisTN
Posted 4/11/2010 18:36 (#1158813 - in reply to #1158797)

Ethridge, TN
Now that is stretching it just a tad, and I have used both. The only thing I do, and it may not be a real issue, but I try not to mix different oil brands in hydrostatic set-ups. If I have a SPX4260 with Hy-tran in it, that is what I run in it. John Deere 9860 Combine with Hy-Guard, that's what we run in it. Now, the first oil change/flush, and it'll end up with what I run the most of, and that is actually neither of the above, so go figure.
Delmarva Ag
Posted 4/11/2010 20:15 (#1158968 - in reply to #1158797)

Seaford, Delaware
Depends on who is doing the testing!

Alan
sledgehammer
Posted 4/11/2010 18:25 (#1158805 - in reply to #1158755)

manitoba
what is "case"? never heard of it...
RickB
Posted 4/11/2010 18:46 (#1158820 - in reply to #1158755)
Subject: Absolutely not

Lincoln County. NC
For starters, they have different viscosity profiles. That's a fact. The rest you can argue about. I'm outta here right now, as the last thing I am going to get any deeper into is an oil argument. They are even more pointless than tractor brand arguments.
JDBrian
Posted 4/12/2010 10:42 (#1159748 - in reply to #1158820)
Subject: RE: Absolutely not

Dietrich, Idaho and Mountain Home, Idaho
Agree completely. I run all deere except an IH 510 wheel loader and there is a definite difference that I can see in the two oils. IH is more viscous and there is a noticeable difference in smell which tells me there is something different about the two(I now it isn't very scientific but I trust my nose!). Just use what is recommended and you will have way less headaches.
Claymore
Posted 4/11/2010 18:55 (#1158834 - in reply to #1158755)

Hy-Gaurd is a multi viscosity oil, and Hy-Tran is single viscosity.
hay_rules
Posted 4/11/2010 19:12 (#1158862 - in reply to #1158755)

lucknow,ontario
it is oil it dont matter what it is as long as there is some thing in the back and frount your going to be good for the day we mix it with whatever we get and never had a problem we alwaays get a name brand of oil not the noname stufff but you will be fine
Jon Hagen
Posted 4/11/2010 19:16 (#1158870 - in reply to #1158862)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Check this link, the JD fluid meets Case IH specs clear up through MS 1210, so why would it not work ?

http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsinfo/oils_and_lubricants/oil_...
CaseFarmer
Posted 4/11/2010 20:01 (#1158939 - in reply to #1158870)

Flora IL
Never said it wouldn't work. Both are top of the line
Delmarva Ag
Posted 4/11/2010 20:21 (#1158978 - in reply to #1158755)
Subject: From Red Power Magazine

Seaford, Delaware
Rick, Your neighbor is taking a huge risk using Hy-Tran in a John Deere tractor.

The water retention property of Hy-Tran (and some other fluids) can cause the paper friction material in the Perma Clutch and power shift clutches to de-laminate.

Hy-Gard is also a heavier fluid than Hy-Tran. Hy-Gard is designed to completely reject water whereas Hy-Tran is designed to absorb a significant amount of moisture.

Other properties that Hy-Tran does have is a seal and o-ring swelling agent that many universal fluids lack.
Anti-foaming and the ability to rid itself of air are properties that make Hy-Tran superior to many universal fluids. (High performance power steering fluids are nothing more than re-packaged Hy-Tran)

One example where I demonstrated to a customer the value of the swelling agent....I was doing a T.A. job for an owner who refused to use anything but the least expensive oils he could find.

When I got to the part where the T.A. jumper tubes were to be removed I flipped them out with my fingers.

I then tossed the tubes with the o-rings still on them into a pan of Hy-Tran I used for soaking PTO clutch plates.

After 10-15 minutes I took the tubes out of the Hy-Tran and the o-rings had swelled enough that they had to be forced into the same holes that they had just slid out of.

The owner was there while I performed this demonstration. He finally changed his mind about our fluids.

Jim N.
plowboy
Posted 4/11/2010 21:09 (#1159047 - in reply to #1158978)
Subject: RE: From Red Power Magazine

Brazilton KS
Is it really a good thing for an oil to cause o rings to swell up?  If I saw that I would take it as an indication that i had the wrong o ring and it was not compatible with the fluid in question.
sdPete
Posted 4/11/2010 21:21 (#1159071 - in reply to #1159047)
Subject: RE: From Red Power Magazine

Beresford SD

plowboy - 4/11/2010 20:09 Is it really a good thing for an oil to cause o rings to swell up?  If I saw that I would take it as an indication that i had the wrong o ring and it was not compatible with the fluid in question.

It was for me, but then the old 1086 was leaky....nice to have the mess gone.    Compatibility, doubt that would be an issue in something that was supposed to use Hy Tran to begin with.   When we started using HyTran in the old Hesston windrower the leaks slowed up quite a bit, easier than rebuilding stuff.   Although at the time I had no idea the oil had anything to do with it.

newag1
Posted 4/11/2010 20:46 (#1159007 - in reply to #1158755)
Subject: 955 planter

WNW Illinois, Henry Co
depending on which planter, all the planter uses for oil (except the lift cylinders, is in a captive setting recirculating in it own system. so hytran will be the correct answer, the first time you lift the planter, all oil in wheel lift cylinders just got mixed together, so be it JD. the oil in the planter system will need changed every 250 hours or so, so not hard tokeep it seperate. good luck
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)