AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need advice on rusted dozer track chains (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rodney R
Posted 3/26/2010 20:52 (#1138068 - in reply to #1137989)
Subject: RE: Need advice on rusted dozer track chains (pics)

About the only way that they'll become loose is to take them to the track shop and have them press the pins out, and then press them back in. More than likely, the machine had new pins and bushings, and the close tolerance rusted them fast.

I bought a D-6 like that years ago...... it had new tracks installed 30 years ago, was used very little and wasn't used at all for 8 years before I got it. The tracks had rusted fast where it had sat, then it was moved and they rusted again...... there were several segments that were 'kinked' like yours. I tried just plain ole using it, then I tried driving over rocks, then I tried oil/diesel, then I tried a BFH and then I took them off and had them pressed apart. At 1500psi the pins began to mushroom, and the torch was required (that's what they told me). Even the ones that I thought were 'free' were not moving like they should.

You might get lucky, but I'd start by planning a trip to Ephrata Pa..... If you take the tracks off, the guy that I took them to will do them for you in a day (At least he told me about a fellow he did that for), and your bill will be under $1000.

Rodney
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)