AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pole barn lite panels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike G
Posted 3/8/2010 20:51 (#1111153)
Subject: Pole barn lite panels

I am looking at putting up a pole building for cold storage, dealer says to put two foot clear lite panels on the sidewalls next to the roof all the way around instead of a clear center ridge cap, says ridge caps tend to leak. Anybody done this with good luck, longevity, leaks, etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iseedit
Posted 3/8/2010 21:00 (#1111172 - in reply to #1111153)
Subject: RE: Pole barn lite panels

central - east central Minnesota -
In my opinion - (maybe not a good way to start), If you have to use light panels, that's about the best use of them, along the top of the wall up to the roof. Ridge or roof ones do suck and leak. Personally, I'd put glass in and skip the panels. They will not last for the life of the building. They will become a maintinance nuisance. If you need light, use glass and be down with it. That's me though. . .
nrw1717
Posted 3/8/2010 21:04 (#1111180 - in reply to #1111172)

Godfrey,IL
I have had the panels on the side walls of my barn for about 2 years now and so far no problem. I know know thats only a short period of time but i am happy with them.
paul the original
Posted 3/8/2010 21:05 (#1111183 - in reply to #1111153)
Subject: Re: Pole barn lite panels

southern MN
I enjoy going to farm auctions.

Every place I go, I see rust stains, or cracked panels, or metal panels nailed over the busted out plastic panels, on the roof. Like, every one I see.

So when I put up a simple storage shed last fall, when he asked about that feature, I said no holes in my roof, or I'm going someplace else to buy.

He understood. :)

He put 3 panels of about 6 foot of the transucient stuff on the south side.

Lets a lot more light in that I expected, pretty good. I was surprised really. For my needs of simple storage it's perfect. I wouldn't need the eve ringed with light panels.

I saw some pics here a couple days ago from the shed that was put up this winter - good job. But the inside had bright sunlight in it from the clear panels in the roof. Seemed like that would fade the stuff stored inside, with that much direct sun let in. I'm not sure I'd like that - for my uses.

However that relates to what you are doing/ needing.

--->Paul
Buster 50
Posted 3/8/2010 21:24 (#1111228 - in reply to #1111183)

North West IA/western AZ
Never thought about fading. The first ridge light bldg. I put up in 1979 is still the original. The stuff on this bldg is clearer.

(DSC00504.jpg)

(DSC00505.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00504.jpg (79KB - 781 downloads)
Attachments DSC00505.jpg (65KB - 692 downloads)
paul the original
Posted 3/9/2010 10:41 (#1111999 - in reply to #1111228)

southern MN
This is what mine has.

Dad put up a shed in 1964, it has a stripe of fiberglass panel along the east side to let light in. Only lets a little light in, but original panels, located on the side they lasted. Around here it seems hail, branches, snowload, and sunlight gets to that stuff on the roof.

--->Paul

(shed1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments shed1.JPG (73KB - 604 downloads)
jwilliam33
Posted 3/8/2010 21:40 (#1111275 - in reply to #1111153)

Waldron, MI
Don't do it. The more light there is, the more birds, etc you'll have. I keep mine closed and dark. No bird damage to the insulation, no bird droppings on the equipment, no birds flapping around when you're in there.
Buster 50
Posted 3/8/2010 21:43 (#1111288 - in reply to #1111275)

North West IA/western AZ
May be true, I've always had trouble with birds in my old building.
IowaMark
Posted 3/9/2010 11:14 (#1112040 - in reply to #1111288)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I put pole building up 4 years ago that has ridge vents like Lowell has & I just love them. I don't know what brand Lowell carries & I don't remember what brand mine are but have had zero water leakage & have had no hail breakage from hail storms. It was new product at the time & was guaranteed not to break. That guarantee won't do me any good however because I will never contact that building contractor because of some issues I had with this company. I don't even want to start on that subject :-(. I have thought about the fading issue but I don't think it can be that big of an issue. My building runs north to south so the sun doesn't shine directly on the equipment for any length of time. As far as bird problems I always keep my doors closed as much as I can & I never have bird problems period. Now if you keep your doors open alot I don't care what kind of building you have skylights or no skylights you will have bird problems.
Ltfire
Posted 3/8/2010 21:50 (#1111302 - in reply to #1111153)

North Central Iowa

I don't have any experience with the clear ridge caps, but the roof panels are going to be a problem long before the rest of the roof in my past experience.  I have had two different sheds with the side panels and I like them and haven't had any problems.  My current shed is probably 10 years old, and the panels don't show any signs of degrading like they seem to when put on the roof.  I will say that the material they use in these now is probably better than what the original panels were when somebody first had this bright idea.  As far as the birds, if you don't leave the doors open, I don't see why they would be a problem.  My shed has panels, but there isn't any place for a bird to get in, although occasionally when I leave the doors open all day in the summer and close them after dark, I'll have a bird or two in there in the morning.  My father in law had roof panels on his shed and we had to replace one this summer, so we just put steel in it's place.  Later on, he had the whole roof painted and they painted over the other panels.  His shed is really dark now, but there are large gaps under the doors and the birds can get in and out.  You can't go in there for anything without turning a light on, but the birds don't seem to mind being in the dark.

Mike

CND
Posted 3/8/2010 21:53 (#1111310 - in reply to #1111153)

Anamoose, ND
If you go with ridge cap try to get the clear stuff that Goodon uses. We have one building with it in. The stuff is perfectly clear and doesn't let UV rays through.
Illini Fan
Posted 3/8/2010 22:07 (#1111353 - in reply to #1111153)

Greene County, Illinois
Agree with jwilliams33, don't do it. Keep the building dark and the birds won't stay in there. They can't or won't fly in the dark. You are much better off using artificial lighting when you are in there. I even have a garage that the concrete heaved under the door, leaving about an inch crack under one end and the sparrows will get in there to nest. But once I put a piece of plywood over the window in the garage, no more birds.
Hayburner
Posted 3/8/2010 22:54 (#1111482 - in reply to #1111153)

<p>I put the clear panels around the top part of the walls in my shop when I built it in 1997 and have never regretted it. Really lets in a lot of light and no leaks.</p><p>Edited to add: I have the same on one side of my barn since it has an indoor riding arena. Again, lets in lots of light. No problems with them. Barn built in 2002. <br /></p>

Edited by Hayburner 3/8/2010 22:56
D6Joe
Posted 3/8/2010 23:08 (#1111524 - in reply to #1111153)

east central ND
the fiberglass light panels on our shed lasted about 20 years before one broke out with some snow. Replace all of them at the same time and no problems since. I like the bit of light.
steve c-il
Posted 3/8/2010 23:32 (#1111567 - in reply to #1111153)

Central Illinois
After having fiberglass panels leaking for years, decided to try something else. Windows are framed full thickness inside biulding to allow liner and insulation. Mounted high enough for privacy but adds alot of light. My wife thought it broke up the billboard look from the road.

(S5Joan 005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments S5Joan 005.jpg (43KB - 636 downloads)
Don_ECOH
Posted 3/9/2010 05:22 (#1111680 - in reply to #1111567)

Tuscarawas County Gnadenhutten, OH 44629
Steve I really like the looks of this building; but especially the green grass.  I put translucent panels on the sidewalls in my first pole barn in 1978 and again in 1988.  They do allow some light, but don't expect them to not age quicker than the metal siding.  Mine discolored and have became brittle.  If you use the white ones they soon are yellow and really don't look very good.  I also have started adding windows to any newer construction, which will allow some airflow to cool the building whenever summer ever arrives.  A few windows will change the appearance, add light, and not cost that much more in the total package.
iseedit
Posted 3/9/2010 08:14 (#1111789 - in reply to #1111567)
Subject: RE: Now that's the way to do it !

central - east central Minnesota -

Now that's the way to do it. Cost difference is very little in the overall building/constuction cost. There is no comparison with the appearance between the fiberglass panels and actural windows. Windows are the way to go.  Looks great and your wife is correct - breaks up the bill board aesthetics look.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)