AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wet Kit or Pony Motor on detachable lowboy???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Construct'O
Posted 3/7/2010 18:45 (#1109294)
Subject: Wet Kit or Pony Motor on detachable lowboy???

SW Iowa

Just bought a detachable lowboy trailer thoughts on the good and bad of both systems? Cost of each and places to find pony motor hydraulic units?

The old lowboy truck i have now is getting old really don't want to put wet kit on it ,but would try to get truck with wet kit if i updated.Trailer doesn't have hydraulic unit.

Fontaine TH55FLD detach,what size pony motor 11HP or 13HP,pressure, and so fore?Definitly will be a electric start Honda.Any replys, thought would help!Thanks. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Virginia Veg.
Posted 3/7/2010 18:53 (#1109313 - in reply to #1109294)
Subject: RE: Wet Kit or Pony Motor on detachable lowboy???

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
You could use a 12V motor/hyd pump from either an electric pallet jack or a lift gate from a delivery truck. There are used ones more places than you would imagine. Heck of a lot easier and cheaper than a wet line if all you need to do is operate the detach.
jmpiersonfarm
Posted 3/7/2010 18:58 (#1109320 - in reply to #1109294)
Subject: Re: Wet Kit or Pony Motor on detachable lowboy???

Sabina Ohio
We just bought an augarmate from shoup and it lifts our 45000 pound trackhoe on a non ground bering lowboy trailer
rosefarms
Posted 3/7/2010 19:11 (#1109346 - in reply to #1109294)

Middle Tennessee
Just done the same thing a couple months ago from experience call the manufacture and get the specs (gal per min and pressure)that it needs to lift the load. We went one size smaller than whatTalbert said trying to save money and it bit us. We do not have enough lifting power!
ChrisTN
Posted 3/7/2010 19:50 (#1109443 - in reply to #1109294)

Savannah, TN
We have a power unit on our detach, and i really like it that way, as I can put any of our tractors under the trailer and go. As far as what it's going to require, is going to depend on what you have for cylinders. Ours is a heavy built 60 ton trailer, 5" dia cylinders, and it will work the 13hp Honda when you put a load on it. Quadtrac weighs in right around 54k, and it knows it's there when you go to pick it up.

I have doubts you could find a 12v unit with enough guts to lift a large load like the ditcher you have as your pic.
shorty
Posted 3/7/2010 20:05 (#1109479 - in reply to #1109294)

I would stay away from the electric setup. Troublesome and light on capacity. 13hp Honda would work nice, but if you are universal enough to hook to any truck, all your neighbors will want to borrow it. Nice thing about a wet kit is if you are ever bored, you always have an oil leak to fix.
mmaddox
Posted 3/7/2010 20:06 (#1109484 - in reply to #1109443)

Wet kits on all truck, dump trailers and hydraulic tail double drops. I really don't like small engines that are not always used regularly, and then needed.
Construct'O
Posted 3/7/2010 23:45 (#1110002 - in reply to #1109479)

SW Iowa

The trencher weighs in at 55K it will be the heaviest thing i will be hauling. The dozers aren't that heavy.Called about the gpm and pressure still waiting on reply,will have to follow up on that Monday.

The lift cyclinders lay in the neck flat and connects to box that presses down on the floor rails of the trailer to lock and lift.Had one person tell me there is a varible pump with less pressure that works the best.Pony motor will lift at idle.That would be nice,but can't confirm?

Lookingglass
Posted 3/7/2010 23:58 (#1110015 - in reply to #1109294)

We have a wet line for our non ground bearing detach. I would never go to a pony motor setup. It depends on your use but we seem to use the detach more in the winter moving farm equipment or our dozer. That being said it's nice to be able to flip the switch in the cab and drop it. You don't have another engine to worry about, keep fuel in, pull start or keep a battery charged if electric start. I guess if you don't have a wet kit truck going with the pony motor is probably easiest and could be changed if you get a truck with a wet kit.
hay_rules
Posted 3/8/2010 10:01 (#1110356 - in reply to #1109294)

lucknow,ontario
think about a small endgen you will be out in the middle of nowhere on the coldest day of the year and the little bugger will not start and you will have to fiddle with it is is endless and a truck one is not problem free but i head out with way more cofidens with the wet line on our float and the truck has a hard time picking up our 792jd hoe if it is right at the frount witch sometimes they are beacuse they are broke lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)