AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay Preservative prices?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Big Square
Posted 3/4/2010 16:12 (#1104953)
Subject: Hay Preservative prices?

Eastern Half of Kansas
Looking at buying the hay preservative we are going to need for the season. Last year bought inseason and it was very high imo. The NewHolland dealer has NH brand of 'crop saver' for about $1.31 a lb right now, this is the brand we have been using which I think is 68% propionic acid. One place near me has 68% propionic acid, no brand listed, for 95 cents per pound. I saw an ad for a dealer much farther to the north selling 68% propionic acid, Hay Pro brand, for 75 cents per pound. I was wondering what others have been giving for hay preservative, it seems as far south as I am that I dont get too good of prices for it as there aren't alot of us using it and not many places that stock and sell it. Your opinion if there is much difference iin 68% acid, will I notice anything if I switch to a brand I haven't been using. So any advice will be welcomed. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 3/4/2010 18:09 (#1105028 - in reply to #1104953)
Subject: RE: Hay Preservative Scott, chime in here please

SW Ohio
Just gave $0.85 for Hay Saver
Scott this would be a good time to let us know what you have learned about preservatives.
Scott (OSU)
Posted 3/5/2010 07:11 (#1105810 - in reply to #1104953)
Subject: RE: Hay Preservative prices?

Dalton, OH

The last few years I have been using Crop Saver from Harvest Tec and it works well.  I can't share the price as I work pretty hard on my dealer, but I also take a large quantity in 275 gallon totes.  Your crop saver should come with a rebate on it so depending on the quantity you buy you will save some money.  I have used other products on the market.  I have only found one that works as well as Crop Saver for me.  I usually buy whichever one is cheaper, but this year I pulled the trigger too early.  The other brand comes out of Michigan from a farmer/dealer who claims he is the first one to sell preservative in the US.  If you want more info on him, email me.  He can ship to you. 

There are differences in preservative.  Always check the % propionic acid like you are doing and don't be foolled by the % active ingredients.  The higher the % prop. the better.  Also, I have recently found out how important citric acid is also.  We've actually added extra citric acid to the prop to help keep the color on the hay.

Hope this helps.

bb940p
Posted 3/5/2010 07:56 (#1105855 - in reply to #1104953)

se wi
Hay Pro, 68% prop, $.75 per lb at Hennessey Implement in Dodgeville Wi. They're on the web. Does anyone have any experience with Hay Pro preservative? tia
Big Square
Posted 3/5/2010 09:41 (#1106011 - in reply to #1105855)

Eastern Half of Kansas
bb940p: I found the same thing with Hennessey. I also found when I went and looked at my crop saver from last year that it is 64.5% prop, and the dealer said that crop saver also has a higher citric acid. I'm still learning.
canwanna
Posted 12/11/2011 07:43 (#2096591 - in reply to #1104953)
Subject: Re: Hay Preservative prices?

HayPro 2 is 80% prop and 20% acetic making it effective up to 35% moisture. You can use it at rates 20% less than a straight prop product. Lowest cost per ton out there.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)