AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

10 speed autoshift transmission
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bat
Posted 2/21/2010 17:51 (#1086214)
Subject: 10 speed autoshift transmission

Looking at a semi with 10 speed autoshift trans. What are the pros and cons. How durable are these, repair costs, farm use, part time inexperienced drivers. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kagen
Posted 2/21/2010 18:13 (#1086248 - in reply to #1086214)
Subject: RE: 10 speed autoshift transmission

Panhandle of Ne.
The transmission, as you probably know, is a regular 10 speed with the auto shifter on top of the trans. The problems I have has had to do with the electornics. Sometimes, the shifter and the engine will not "communicate" with each other. This doens't happen to often, and when it does, normally either have to shut the engine down and let the electronics reset, or unhook the wires that run the ecm and shifter from the battery. On mine, it is 2- 10 or 12 gauge wires that hook onto a positive post on the battery. It has never failed to temporarily fix the problem. The shop that works on our trucks told me this can be fixed with a new wiring harness which I will have them put on. It is a very smooth setup and I believe will help the trans., clutch, drivelines, u-joints etc. last a long time as there is no grinding gears, etc. If you manually put it in 1st, it will come out of any field loaded with no problems. It will always start in 2nd if you don't manually put it in 1st. I would not be afraid of it, but just be aware that there are a few glitches on some of them.

After re-reading your post, does this truck have a clutch pedal? If so, it is probably a smartshift trans. which is what I described, If it doesn't have a pedal, it might be a full automatic, which I have no knowledge of.
J & R Ranch
Posted 2/21/2010 18:25 (#1086264 - in reply to #1086214)
Subject: Re: 10 speed autoshift transmission

SE South Dakota
We just purchased a truck with the 10 speed Eaton auto-shift and really like it. Its an 05 model and anyone can drive them from my 14 year old daughter on up. I'm sure there can be problems with them but am very pleased with it so far. I have heard that the first ones out had some trouble but the second generation corrected them.
thor
Posted 2/21/2010 18:48 (#1086305 - in reply to #1086214)

northern MN
Harley had a post on this a while back. You can take the truck to an approved dealer and get different downloads for the transmission for whatever application your are using it in. I did so 3 weeks ago but have not used the truck since. The downloads take about a half hour and costs about $75. As an owner I like the transmission but if I were the driver I would want a full auto or a manual 10. But some times finding a good driver that is also good at shifting is not possible. Would I buy another, I don't think so.
oakridge
Posted 2/21/2010 18:57 (#1086322 - in reply to #1086305)

West Central Wisconsin
we have a 6 speed fully automatic transmission on one of our township plow trucks. after ten years there it has not had a single issue. I drive it and i know that it has been put through h''l and back so i think it is pretty bullet proof. On a side note being that it is an automatic just about anyone can drive it. it also has kept me from getting out of some tight places because you can add power gradually thus not breaking traction so easily.
spudsco
Posted 2/21/2010 20:17 (#1086459 - in reply to #1086322)

SWMN
We have one with a eaton 10 speed with the auto. Ours has a clutch. You only have to use the clutch to start out from a dead start or at a stop sign. We brought it just so anyone can drive it. It pulls out of the field excellent. I just put it to manually and shift gears going out of the field till I get on the road and than just hit drive, don't have to stop.
Someone correct me on this one if I'm wrong--- we were told that you don't want a fully automatic without a clutch for pulling out of the field.
One down fall is that it takes time for it to shift into gear for starting out. You can't force it into gear. You just have to give yourself more time when you're loading truck
salexmo
Posted 2/21/2010 21:14 (#1086578 - in reply to #1086459)

northwest missouri
We have had one for four years now and really like it, you can have it set to default to 1, 2, 3 at startup, ours defaults to 1 then you just bump the button up to 2 or 3 if desired and that is your default start out gear until you shut truck off or manually reset while you are at a stop, you can set it to manual operation and shift with the up down buttons any time you want - really shines on downshifts and in traffic. SPUDSCO, ours was doing the same as yours and it was the transmision brake - it will not go into gear until input and output shafts are at the right speeds just as it does the shifts. Unfortunately our trans brake would not adjust any further and we went ahead and put complete clutch in since we had to pull trans anyway - now trans goes right into gear as soon as you shift it in. If you do remove transmission be sure to disconnect harness from battery BEFORE unplugging power module on trans - learned the hard way and cost $ 100 + trans power module - no other trouble so far and I was told by truck shop mechanic that they just didn't have any problems with the Eaton autoshift module.
Stacy
Posted 2/22/2010 11:10 (#1087384 - in reply to #1086578)

Triplett / Brunswick MO / Brookfield
Instruction needs to be given to drivers, not to shove the clutch all the way to the floor while moving; whether it's a manual or auto shift. You can buy a two piece clutch break and install with out out pulling the tranny; it goes on very easy. However, it will make a sailor say a few bad words while he is taking the old clutch brake off. Usually in less than 30 minutes the old one can be ground, beat or cut off in one way or another. There might be someone on here that has discovered an easier way. The only way our shop guy has done it, is with a die grinder and a impact chiesel. We make sure we're in the office while he is doing it. lol

We had one fellow set his idle up to high, and was having trouble getting his to go into gear If the idle is too high, the computer is not going to allow it to go into gear, or at least that's been our limited experience.
dondozer
Posted 2/22/2010 07:50 (#1087093 - in reply to #1086322)

NW Ohio,near Findlay
oakridge- yours is a Allision - the best for a snowplow, we never had trouble with ours in dump truck. Doesn't rip and tear out drive shafts or rear ends, BUT not the best for over road trucks. Even with lock-up convertors, have been told not as good mileage. A local farmer has a auto-shift, his wife loves it, would like to go to the elevator with her to check things out, might want to take her home with me, the truck, the truck.
h2oski01
Posted 2/21/2010 23:47 (#1086913 - in reply to #1086214)

North central Iowa
Last summer traded two 9-speeds older semis for two 05 semis with autoshift transmissions probably one of the best updates to our equipment we have made. They are easy and alot of fun to drive. So much easier getting started and coming out of soft fields than with the old 9 speeds. You can't go wrong with an autoshift.
ge jr
Posted 2/22/2010 00:07 (#1086940 - in reply to #1086913)

algona iowa
How well do they work in mud and snow can you rock the truck at all.
h2oski01
Posted 2/22/2010 00:19 (#1086947 - in reply to #1086940)

North central Iowa
I was able to rock it one time last fall to get out of a wet drive way just have to have a quick finger pushing the buttons.
kagen
Posted 2/22/2010 12:25 (#1087486 - in reply to #1086947)
Subject: Yes you can rock them, just have to manually

Panhandle of Ne.
put them in 1st. If you don't, when you get to spinning, the trans. will start to shift up as the rpm's go up and that doesn't work so good.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)